Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I would like to see a weather simulation in 0 A.D. It would be nice to have weather events such as rain, dark clouds, bright sun, snow and desert winds. This would produces an entirely different feeling in maps. However, weather simulations can become annoying if they influence the map or game play to much.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, balduin said:

I would like to see a weather simulation in 0 A.D. It would be nice to have weather events such as rain, dark clouds, bright sun, snow and desert winds. This would produces an entirely different feeling in maps. However, weather simulations can become annoying if they influence the map or game play to much.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, balduin said:

I would like to see a weather simulation in 0 A.D. It would be nice to have weather events such as rain, dark clouds, bright sun, snow and desert winds. This would produces an entirely different feeling in maps. However, weather simulations can become annoying if they influence the map or game play to much.

I have plans to make all such things possible for Alpha 24. Including terrain changes (both texture and heights), environmental changes and sky-box changes (experimenting whether it would be better to use a Sky-dome included). Would open up a whole new level of creativity for map makers and other things like dirt roads on trade routes, entrenchment, catapult shots creating ditches, snow covering etc. Part of it is D1642 (which would actually work now). Am currently waiting for when Alpha24 dev-ing starts so feedback from relevant people can be recieved. Plus, I have a lot going on so can't really tackle it now.

Edited by (-_-)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would recommend that we could build some lights like making fire on wood for light etc. Weather simulator would be cool I think that camera fixing is needing the map duelling cliff  (3v3) because when we zoom in on the middle cliff it's too high and camera location is bad there. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be cool if there was a way for  mods to call a "if current weather = X" flag in mods to somehow create weather dependent unit effects/scripts in mods.

 

I probably butchered the explanation but you know what I mean hopefully.

Edited by Imperator Ferrum Princeps I
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If implemented to a full extent textures will change. And maybe the ground too. It can also be imagined that water level would be replaced with icy terrain. Adding a snow variant for unit and buildings should be doable too.

I'd like to add Aurora borealis to the game but it should be done with shaders.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

If implemented to a full extent textures will change. And maybe the ground too. It can also be imagined that water level would be replaced with icy terrain. Adding a snow variant for unit and buildings should be doable too.

I'd like to add Aurora borealis to the game but it should be done with shaders.

That would be great If you added the aurora :D I love going North of my nation just to watch the lights. I used to snowboard under the lights in the middle of the night,than after my workout grab some hot chocolate,and just watch the sky.  Great times,and one amazing experience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snow, af. All the OP says reminds me of good memories - I can't nail down the game... light snowfall covering the ground, while you're out there producing mass army to push out your enemy in the corner.

As far as things go I am afraid it won't work for every 0 A.D. map from a design standpoint. Like collecting food from berry bushes during... winter, doesn't sound so good to immersion. Easily this could be disregarded if players benefit from weather simulation system to better interact with the world. For example you have different environment, not necessarily to affect the gameplay (ever). Is just a visual gimmick, NO DISAPPOINTMENTS.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:27 AM, Nerwitz said:

Snow, af. All the OP says reminds me of good memories - I can't nail down the game... light snowfall covering the ground, while you're out there producing mass army to push out your enemy in the corner.

As far as things go I am afraid it won't work for every 0 A.D. map from a design standpoint. Like collecting food from berry bushes during... winter, doesn't sound so good to immersion. Easily this could be disregarded if players benefit from weather simulation system to better interact with the world. For example you have different environment, not necessarily to affect the gameplay (ever). Is just a visual gimmick, NO DISAPPOINTMENTS.

There is a solution to this "collecting food from berry bushes during winter",and that is to add a feature where you have to gather your berries when in season,and when winter hits your next two options will be to fish or hunt.,and than you will be able to feast all winter. You can still just eat the berries you gathered before winter because you have them stored in the farmstead,and we can still enjoy these beautiful winters,and remind us of good memories :D

Did the Vikings not produce a mass army,and also fight a battle during winter ? So wars are only fought in the summer and spring ? Wars are fought anywhere from desert to plains to winter wonderland. Ever hear of Alexander Nevsky ? If we are in a winter setting you are going to produce a mass army in a light snow fall or even a blizzard. What about the battle of the bulge ? What about operation Barbarossa ? What about Napolean ? All fought in the winter. 

Edited by Astrid
goofed
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

/me wants land unit fishing :( with harpoons.

That would be a great idea,and we can get the harpoon using skill in the dock abilities like we have the nets for more fish. How about implementing traps for easier hunting where you can go about your fighting or bow hunting while waiting for an animal to walk into the trap ? We can trap bears better without risking death. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hunting landsharks, now we talking business, @stanislas69

 

Wise folks around can think of an applicable idea to weather simulation, maybe "seasons" can be bound to specific maps have different means for food gathering. Berry bushes can still stay for other maps.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nerwitz said:

Hunting landsharks, now we talking business, @stanislas69

 

Wise folks around can think of an applicable idea to weather simulation, maybe "seasons" can be bound to specific maps have different means for food gathering. Berry bushes can still stay for other maps.

Fish and other species can be hunted with spears the same as our forebears hunted, but it is funny you got the sarcasm :D How about in the far north we have fishing and hunting,and in areas like plains,and flat land without winter we can have the berry bush gathering.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tropical maps have different seasons summer is around April and August and winter August-January.

Winter are cold storm season, not snow. and summer is hot semidry weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about storing longitude, latitude per cell/map? One could derive climate from it and weather could still be varied by simulation or magic/chemistry like some modern cultures try to influence weather.

I imagine swarms of birds travel along the coastlines south and north according to season :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Radagast. said:

What about storing longitude, latitude per cell/map? One could derive climate from it and weather could still be varied by simulation or magic/chemistry like some modern cultures try to influence weather.

I imagine swarms of birds travel along the coastlines south and north according to season :)

Sounds a bit strange considering the size of maps but for big maps it could make sense.

Welcome back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Tropical maps have different seasons summer is around April and August and winter August-January.

Winter are cold storm season, not snow. and summer is hot semidry weather.

This should not be a big problem. The weather simulation can take that into account, for example by assigning a climate to each map (predefined template of advanced settings). To account for edge cases, we could have advanced settings. The settings could include things like temperature, rain, humidity etc. By using a little bit of science, such as if temperature less than 0 -> we have snowfall. In addition, if the temperature is less than 0 after x days, water will be frozen and soldiers can walk over a lake.

I am almost certain that we could simulate weather and seasons very well using a simplified scientific weather model.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Astrid said:

Fish and other species can be hunted with spears the same as our forebears hunted, but it is funny you got the sarcasm :D How about in the far north we have fishing and hunting,and in areas like plains,and flat land without winter we can have the berry bush gathering.

Hehe!

Then would that require, fishing example... to have fish schools placed closer to the shore to be able to use spears; I can't somehow see the game offer swimming mechanic for gatherers to go far into the sea and hunt food... for good :troutslap::eat:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:49 AM, Nerwitz said:

Hehe!

Then would that require, fishing example... to have fish schools placed closer to the shore to be able to use spears; I can't somehow see the game offer swimming mechanic for gatherers to go far into the sea and hunt food... for good :troutslap::eat:

I was wondering why we can't swim on this game  heh I think that would be great to have battles in rivers or crossing them by swimming,and also if your ship gets destroyed in a battle,and instead of garrisoned valuable fighters dying with the ship, you can jump out and swim to shore. 

Your enemy is on the other side of the river,and you have your archers shooting at them as they attempt to swim across,and they don't care about losing some soldiers as long as they have some get across that river. Also with swimming you have to watch out for dangerous water creatures,imagine a shark in the ocean and you are way out in the middle :D

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Astrid said:

I was wondering why we can't swim on this game  heh I think that would be great to have battles in rivers or crossing them by swimming,and also if your ship gets destroyed in a battle,and instead of garrisoned valuable fighters dying with the ship, you can jump out and swim to shore.  

There is a patch that eventually will allow swimming animals (and other units), though I'm not sure we have the right to commit it anymore. https://code.wildfiregames.com/D1332
@Itms might know.

From an historical point of view I don't know what percentage of the population knew how to swim.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Astrid said:

I was wondering why we can't swim on this game  heh I think that would be great to have battles in rivers or crossing them by swimming,and also if your ship gets destroyed in a battle,and instead of garrisoned valuable fighters dying with the ship, you can jump out and swim to shore. 

Your enemy is on the other side of the river,and you have your archers shooting at them as they attempt to swim across,and they don't care about losing some soldiers as long as they have some get across that river. Also with swimming you have to watch out for dangerous water creatures,imagine a shark in the ocean and you are way out in the middle :D

 

Mostly die Drowned. An example in battle of Trasimene

Quote

In less than four hours, most of the Roman troops were killed. The Roman advance guard saw little combat and, once the disaster to their rear became obvious, fought their way through the skirmishers and out of the forest. Of the initial Roman force of about 30,000, about 15,000 were either killed in battle or drowned while trying to escape into the lake — including Flaminius himself, who was slain by the Gaul Ducarius. Another 10,000 are reported to have made their way back to Rome by various means, and the rest were captured.[

Imagen relacionada
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...