Sign in to follow this  
amadeus

rated 1v1 leaver: marcusen

21 hours ago, (-_-) said:

I guess not before WFG hosts 

Pls say to WFG to be less shy: we all know that he would like to partecipate in the fun but he is too loyal to work

TLDR; All these ideas about making the disconnected player lose will never work and are worse than the current system.

With no WFG insight into rated games, the main challenge is to make sure that the system cannot be fooled. The current model operates on the basis that two separate players would not lie. And both are telling the truth. After each game a report is sent by the two participants to the ratings bot who only accepts it if both match. If its decided that individual players can be trusted to always be telling the truth, there is no safety against players who would lie. A player can forge several reports of games that he didnt play and gain points while at the same time an innocent player would lose points. This is what will happen if the host is given the power to decide the winner of the match when someone else loses connection.

The challenge is to make sure that WFG can determine the authenticity of game reports. The most reliable way being to monitor the whole game ofcourse.

I could be wrong about that stuff, but I hope that clears up the question of “how come they haven’t fixed something so trivial by now?”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2018 at 4:39 PM, (-_-) said:

The current model operates on the basis that two separate players would not lie.

IMO that solves it then:

As long as this model remains there is no way to decide who won a game. So don't rate them.

On 10/16/2018 at 4:39 PM, (-_-) said:

The most reliable way being to monitor the whole game ofcourse.

I'm not sure but that seems to be more than what is actually necessary.

One thing is to trust people to not leave when there's basically no punishment and they know nothing will happen. Another thing is to expect people not to make fake reports to earn points - that would require too much effort, certainly less people would exploit that than the number of quitters nowadays. No system is 100% safe, the current system is just 100% easy to circumvent.

Let's say - ignoring the possibility of hackers - that the host automatically sends a report of winning after the other player left for some time. In these cases, the server could wait for a confirmation from the other player. If the player is not online (the server knows who is online), he loses, because it indicates that he is gone for good. If the host somehow sent a fake report and both players are actually still playing, he will send a report that contradicts the host's report - in this case nobody gets points. Normally though, the game would be programmed for, after this quitter re-connects, send a report confirming the host's report. Then the points are given accordingly.

I don't think this would become a dystopia where everybody is making fake reports... :D