"Berries": {
        "template": "gaia/flora_bush_grapes",
        "minCount": 2,
        "maxCount": 2,
        "distance": 12,
        "minDist": 5,
        "maxDist": 8
    },

The maxDist is a bit too lenient while the minDist argument is too strict considering these are starting berries. And I assume you meaned deep_forest as there is no map named dense_forest.

I guess it's also worth adding that this is a much deeper issue that is shown in ways like this. The true fix would be to have a "no-collision" constraint. It can replace all the tileclass avoidance used to just not collide with things. I have seen this mentioned in a ticket too IIRC. Would also get rid of those hardcoded values use in preventing collisions in SimpleGroups etc.

Would fixing this also fix the "units perpetually attempt to cut down an impossible tree at edge of map" Because that bug is super annoying in the later stages of the game. I can post a video if you are not sure what i am referring to. It seems that fixing this problem might fix both though.

"Acropolis bay" has 10 impossible trees.

Edit: actually it looks like this is a little different. It's some kind of pathing thing, the units think they can path to the tree and cut it down without knowing it is impossible.

Edited by psypherium

6 minutes ago, psypherium said:

units perpetually attempt to cut down an impossible tree at edge of map

Its more or less an error of the map-maker. In random maps, there is functionality to avoid it.

However, UnitAI should also become smarter and stop trying to reach an impassable place.