Picked this up from Amazon

Picked this up from Amazon as a kind of "house warming" gift to myself, since I'll be moving into new digs soon. It's actually pretty cool in person and has some considerable weight to it. 

42217574_238193076855818_5906807911610318848_n.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GB2E3M2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I believe it is based on an actual sculpture. Not sure which.

Ares and Aphrodite Statue also know as Mars and Venus by Antonio Canova (1757-1822), Buckingham Palace, London. The Greek god of war Ares succumbs to the Greek goddess of love, Aphrodite, in this timeless sculpture of mythology's most legendary love story. No Neoclassical work better captures artist Antonio Canova's talent for aesthetic expression than this museum-quality masterpiece.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/2038/mars-and-venus

Venus stands partially draped gazing upwards at Mars, who wears a Roman Centurion style helmet and holds a spear

This magnificent full length sculpture of the Roman Gods ‘Mars and Venus’ was carved from a single marble block. It was commissioned by the Prince Regent for Carlton House in 1815 during Canova's visit to London to see the Elgin Marbles. It represents an allegory of War and Peace after England’s victory over Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. 

It is currently located at one of the ends of the Marble Hall in Buckingham Palace.

Provenance
Commissioned by George IV in 1815, delivered to Carlton House 1824, where placed in the Gothic Conservatory

261170-1331635299.jpg?itok=yDGaCJMT147920-1297437419.jpg?itok=m1-D1FiO

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I have the entire outfit for Indiana Jones. :D 

Lol! I enjoyed those movies a lot when I was a kid... Should probably rewatch them...

This scene always stuck with me...

Poor assassin... Don't bring a sword to a gunfight eh... :cowboy: ;';===  :ninja: 

• Haha 1

So cool,and that statue is beautiful,and very romantic ! 

I am also a collectour of histourical statues and weapons {I love HEMA}, and if you ever walked in my house {your traditional Norwegian cottage made of wood} you would walk into a dark ages era lol I collect statues,shields,axes,armour {I wear it to lol}of anything celtic,norse,saxon,etc This is what I spend most my money on,and also music lol I own lots of CDS

• Like 1