Persian Farsi sound

dmzerocold

Hello team

first of all i really admire your jobs so far :) awesome!

i want to help this community for Persian translation / Sound as much as i can ,

iv prepared these sounds, i really appreciate if you can share your feedback so i can improve them , any advise appreciated :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aHfSmyLUi7AuwMZ9o152XG8D20sLphcD

Thank you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello  @dmzerocold and welcome to the forums.

Thanks for recording those voices, that's something we've been needing for some time. I can't really check either the sound quality, or the language, but it sounds okay. I'm leaving it to @Samulis and @OmriLahav to give you advice on how to improve it, or to remaster it for the game :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

I'm leaving it to @Samulis and @OmriLahav

Ok :) , also please let me know next step i also have some questions

1- is it possible to have 1 text we have different voice (different person) and system randomly chose one of them to use, for example for "Hello" we record 4 different sound , different person , different word and when game require to use "Hello" for Persian , game chose of them randomly 

2- is this list up do date? i mean is it all we need for sound ? or there are more

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Audio_Voice_List

Just now, dmzerocold said:

1- is it possible to have 1 text we have different voice (different person) and system randomly chose one of them to use, for example for "Hello" we record 4 different sound , different person , different word and when game require to use "Hello" for Persian , game chose of them randomly 

Yes you can record multiple variations.

Just now, dmzerocold said:

2- is this list up do date? i mean is it all we need for sound ? or there are more

It should be.

• Thanks 1

Hi, @dmzerocold!

Thanks for sending in the voice clips!

Did you apply any post-processing or conversion to these files? What equipment are you using to record this?

I ask because they are at a very unusual sample rate (384 kHz). Final delivery of voice files for the game will be mono in 44.1 kHz at 16-bit, so anything higher than that is really unnecessary. Furthermore, it appears your actual physical recording equipment could only capture frequencies up to about 8 kHz and support frequencies up to 22.05 kHz, so recording at such a high sample rate is essentially useless.

Take a look at this spectrograph generated from one of your takes-

Spectrograph_voice.thumb.png.3df5384580a1cf6a0e1c831abef8986e.png

Across the X domain is time, and across the Y domain is frequency (labeled on the right, 0-192 kHz). The brighter the color on the spectrograph, the more sound is at that particular frequency at that point in time. You can see that above 8 kHz, the pickup of the microphone diminishes drastically, like a lowpass filter was applied (this is probably the design limit of the microphone, my guess it is a webcam mic or telephony mic). At 22.05 kHz, it essentially stops recording anything of relevance (which is to be expected for something designed to record 44.1 kHz files).  All that black space at the top, from 22.05 kHz to 192 kHz, is basically wasted space- it has no relevant or valuable data in it- that's why there's no point to recording at 384 kHz; you're not even getting any reliable signal up there to record unless you're using a $1500+ calibrated test microphone. ;)

I would suggest that, if you are not doing any post-processing, then perhaps your equipment is not capable of recording the full frequency range necessary (0-20 kHz) for a video game voice over. Ideally we should be seeing a fairly consistent response in that range with nice, dark colors surrounding the voice, something like this:

VoiceExample.thumb.png.697ab0036d685536aba9e3f4c487f038.png

I've circled the same 8 kHz point (note that this file is displaying at 44.1 kHz, so the top of the graph is 22.05 kHz rather than 192 kHz as it is in yours). Notice that although, like in your voice, the bulk of the information is below about 4 kHz, there is still some valuable information up above 8 kHz, mostly what we call 'sibilance'. Without this, 's' sounds tend to appear more like 'f' sounds and also some of the character of your voice is lost, making it harder to understand and identify. If you've ever spoken to someone on the phone and thought it was someone else for a minute, that's why!

YourRecording.png.07edaa1a6eeb771bdb66494178d46719.png

Above is a clip of your recording now as it appears in the same sample rate as mine. Notice that the sibilance shown above is missing/cut off and there is less sound from 2 to 4 kHz than in my recording. My best guess is that these are issues related directly to the microphone you are using rather than the rest of your recording process.

In summary, setting a higher sample rate on your computer won't enhance what isn't being captured in the first place. Unless your equipment is malfunctioning or improperly configured, resulting in that 8 kHz 'cut', you may want to consider borrowing some other equipment to see if you can get a better sound.

2nd critique-

There is also a very large amount of noise in the background of the clip (all that 'pink speckles' you can see from 0-8 kHz in your recording, verus the purple and black in my recording). There are a huge number of causes of noise, including environmental sources like air conditioners, refrigerators, open windows, computer fans, and so on. In addition, there may be something in your signal flow (that is, the path the sound takes from hitting the diaphragm of the mic to being recorded on your computer as 1's and 0's) that is adding that noise.

For example, if you are working with a budget consumer microphone, such as a webcam mic, it may not have adequate noise performance to record clean audio, and typically there's no real way to get around that.

On the other hand, if you are recording even a very good mic but with very low gain at the preamplifier, and then add lots of gain digitally in your recording software, you will get poor noise performance there as when you record a certain 'noise floor' is "baked" into the recording and digital gain makes everything equally louder, including that noise floor. For example, here I intentionally recorded with the gain on my preamp turned down, and then used the digital gain in my recording software to make up the difference. You can see that the previously black background has now turned purple, showing how much more noise is in the recording-

BadGainStaging2.thumb.png.7aed8c3809da7fce142c06a330275282.png

The lower the noise we can record, the better the end result will be!

So, a few tips for reducing noise in general-

• Turn off anything that makes noise in your recording environment. Find a location which is enclosed and away from any sources of sound like busy streets.
  • Record as close to your mic as you can, preferably 4-8 inches (10-20 cm). The closer you get, the louder your voice will sound at the mic and thus the quieter noise will appear. There are some downsides to recording close to a mic, so try holding it in different positions- above your mouth pointed slightly down towards it, below your mouth pointed slightly up towards it, and so on, to find what sounds best.
  • Record at 44.1 kHz 16-bit in Mono (although you can also record at 24-bit if you want, this really won't change anything at this sort of noise level).
  • Make sure any analog amplification is turned up before using any digital gain. For example, if there is a gain knob on the microphone or the preamplifier itself, use that before using the slider in Windows or your recording application.
  • If your microphone can be configured to different frequency ranges (for example, some webcam or USB mics), make sure it is set to 44.1 kHz too.

If you still have similarly noisy results, perhaps consider borrowing a different microphone from a friend. Even something like a Blue Snowball should give significantly cleaner and better sounding results.

Edited by Samulis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, dmzerocold said:

Hi @Samulis

Thank you for explanation,

it was a USB microphone that i received from a friend i dont know if it was good or not,

let me try again, im not expert in this field :) i have to do self-study

If you know the make and model of the mic, that might help us figure out the best way to use it. Every mic has strengths and weaknesses, it is just a matter of figuring out how to play best to the strengths and avoid the weaknesses. :)

I would also suggest, if you are not already, using Audacity to do the recordings, as it will not do anything to the files without you telling it to, and it is very easy to configure settings for the recording. That would also minimize the risk of unwanted behavior that may occur in more "automatic" software solutions like voice recorder apps or others which might automatically modify the audio.

If you have any questions about digital audio or recording, or if anything I have said is confusing or unclear, don't hesitate to ask- that's why we're here. :)

Edited by Samulis
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, dmzerocold said:

Hi @Samulis

Could you please check this file ?

"My recording test"

My - recording test.wav

MUCH better! Whatever you did fixed all the issues with the audio; we can definitely work with that.

Once you complete the recordings, cut the files out as before but leave a second or two of extra silence after each line. I can then go through and do any necessary denoising and alterations so they will fit with the existing game voices, then convert and organize so they can be implemented. :)

Hi @Samulis

7 minutes ago, Samulis said:

MUCH better! Whatever you did fixed all the issues with the audio; we can definitely work with that.

It was not possible without your help :) appreciate it

it was Handset (cellphone) + Audacity :)

Glad that it worked :) i will record them tonight and share with you  for both Male / Female 

all of them should have female / male  ? 

Edited by dmzerocold
add comment

3 minutes ago, dmzerocold said:

Hi @Samulis

It was not possible without your help :) appreciate it

it was Handset (cellphone) + Audacity :)

Glad that it worked :) i will record them tonight and share with you  for both Male / Female 

all of them should have female / male  ? 

If you have a female voice talent available, sure. Each line should be done for each voice, yes.

If you want to make multiple takes of each line, that is also okay too. It's better to have more takes than we need. :)

i also have another question

how the implementation works ? lets say today we have 10 voice ready to use , when DEV team implement them ? is it require new release? i mean we should wait till Alpha 24 

Also another question is , lets say you deliver a patch and included these voices and everything works fine , then we decide to add more voices or replace some of them then how it works? again require new DEV release ? or for example you have a repository and if there is connection and if any change to voice happen then client detect it automatically and download new voice files to replace with old files 

4 minutes ago, dmzerocold said:

i also have another question

how the implementation works ? lets say today we have 10 voice ready to use , when DEV team implement them ? is it require new release? i mean we should wait till Alpha 24 

Also another question is , lets say you deliver a patch and included these voices and everything works fine , then we decide to add more voices or replace some of them then how it works? again require new DEV release ? or for example you have a repository and if there is connection and if any change to voice happen then client detect it automatically and download new voice files to replace with old files 

The game is being constantly worked on, but the major public releases happen whenever enough changes are assembled and tested. The sounds might be implemented in the game source as soon as a few days or weeks, but it wouldn't be until the next Alpha for the sounds to reach most typical end users.

Similarly, if additional sounds are added in the future, they will be rolled out as soon as the next major build comes along. I am not sure how exactly the update process works, but if there is one, the voice files will work exactly the same as any other files or assets in the game.

3 minutes ago, dmzerocold said:

My wife and my friends :) i will force all of them (except my wife) and take their voice... they have to collaborate 

Glad to hear! More voices, the better!

• Like 1

Hello @Samulis

Please find below URL , for both male and female

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RUEqK07lWcrGevA9hdUfWlMjpj37baI7?usp=sharing

Some phrase are available in other language but not in Persian section , for example "Hello" , "I will repair" , " I will garrison", "I will fish"

is there any reason? 

Please note: from No19 to No23 is not listed in below URL for Persian but they are available for others, anyway i recorded them as well not sure if you can use 

Regarding the IPA is it is mandatory i need help :) not sure if i can handle this one , im not expert in IPA. is it possible someone help and provide it ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dmzerocold said:

Hello @Samulis

Please find below URL , for both male and female

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RUEqK07lWcrGevA9hdUfWlMjpj37baI7?usp=sharing

Some phrase are available in other language but not in Persian section , for example "Hello" , "I will repair" , " I will garrison", "I will fish"

is there any reason? 

Please note: from No19 to No23 is not listed in below URL for Persian but they are available for others, anyway i recorded them as well not sure if you can use 

Regarding the IPA is it is mandatory i need help :) not sure if i can handle this one , im not expert in IPA. is it possible someone help and provide it ?

Thank you!

The reason things are not on the Persian list is just because no one translated them yet, I think. So, thank you for going ahead and coming up with a translation!

The IPA is just a guide on how to pronounce the words the way we think they were probably said in the ancient times. It is sort of designed for people who don't speak the language or a related language, so that they can also give lines.

Here is a chart, there are many others online you can look up for various languages:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:IPA_pronunciation_key

That being said, some of the existing Latin and Greek lines in the game were not recorded all that accurately. Although we would definitely appreciate as much authenticity as possible, I think if you are familiar with a modern relative of the original language, that is probably at least close enough to get a good result. :)

My only critique is that one or two of the lines sound like they were recorded with the microphone in a different location. Take a listen to No2 and No3 for the male voice and you will hear there is a strangely thin voice sound on No2, probably the microphone was obscured. If you don't mind to re-record No2, that would be appreciated.

Also, if you want me to be able to remove noise from these takes, I need you to include some 'silence'. Just hold the microphone exactly how you hold it when recording the voices, press record, then be silent and do not move, after a few seconds press stop, then send me that clip. I can use that to remove the noise from all of your takes so it sounds like it was done in a fancy studio. ;)

Edited by Samulis
clarify language
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Samulis said:

The reason things are not on the Persian list is just because no one translated them yet, I think. So, thank you for going ahead and coming up with a translation!

Is there anything i can do here?

4 minutes ago, Samulis said:

The IPA is just a guide on how to pronounce the words the way we think they were probably said in the ancient times. It is sort of designed for people who don't speak the language or a related language, so that they can also give lines.

Here is a chart, there are many others online you can look up for various languages:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:IPA_pronunciation_key

i will try to provide it later

My only critique is that one or two of the lines sound like they were recorded with the microphone in a different location. Take a listen to No2 and No3 for the male voice and you will hear there is a strangely thin voice sound on No2, probably the microphone was obscured. If you don't mind to re-record No2, that would be appreciated.

No2 updated , please check now

5 minutes ago, Samulis said:

Also, if you want me to be able to remove noise from these takes, I need you to include some 'silence'.

Do you want me to create all files again and include silence ? i have all original files

8 minutes ago, dmzerocold said:

Is there anything i can do here?

If you want to write out the translations, then someone can add them to the wiki page for future voice talent, same with IPA if you are willing. :)

No2 updated , please check now

Hmm... now No2 sounds like the mic is much farther from your face than the other takes. Try holding the mic the exact same place and way you held it before.

10 minutes ago, dmzerocold said:

Do you want me to create all files again and include silence ? i have all original files

You could just send the original files if you want, I should be able to extract silence from them. :)

9 minutes ago, Samulis said:

If you want to write out the translations, then someone can add them to the wiki page for future voice talent, same with IPA if you are willing. :)

Translation you mean this? i already started

https://www.transifex.com/wildfire-games/0ad/translate/#fa

My problem is im not sure if i can write IPA of these voices properly , i never did.

13 minutes ago, Samulis said:

Hmm... now No2 sounds like the mic is much farther from your face than the other takes. Try holding the mic the exact same place and way you held it before.

Is it better now?.

13 minutes ago, Samulis said:

You could just send the original files if you want, I should be able to extract silence from them. :)

All original files are here

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1aHfSmyLUi7AuwMZ9o152XG8D20sLphcD?usp=sharing

4 minutes ago, dmzerocold said:

Translation you mean this? i already started

https://www.transifex.com/wildfire-games/0ad/translate/#fa

My problem is im not sure if i can write IPA of these voices properly , i never did.

Hmm... no, the voice translations are kept separate from the game text translation. The voice translation are on that page on trac which you read from- that is where any voice translations should be put. If you want to post the plain text translation (non-IPA), I can at least put it on there.

7 minutes ago, dmzerocold said:

Is it better now?

Yes, it is closer, but still sort of "thin" sounding compared to the No3 male. Maybe try moving the mic closer to the mouth? Your goal should be to sound consistently like the other lines you have recorded, or else people may think it is a different voice!

Perfect, thank you!

1 minute ago, Samulis said:

Hmm... no, the voice translations are kept separate from the game text translation

aah I see.

let me study on this IPA maybe I can handle it :) lets see, 

3 minutes ago, Samulis said:

If you want to post the plain text translation (non-IPA), I can at least put it on there.

Sure :) that would be great

Maybe try moving the mic closer to the mouth?

I will try tomorrow :)

is there anything else that I have to do? or it is done on my side ? so I should wait till next relase to see how they works ?