Esports “Killer Games Are Too Violent” For Olympics

“If you have egames where it’s about killing somebody, this cannot be brought into line with our Olympic values.” (Thomas Bach)

1. Games like Age of Empires is about taking over empires through slavery and brute military force, so they can't be in line with Olympic values.
  2. People dying and getting beat up through physical sports do not count (I don't know about dying, but basketball, football, soccer, and ice hockey are known to have brawls). They are still in line with Olympic values.
  3. Since pointing and clicking with your mouse buttons so that you can reduce the HP of that certain 3D Graphics model counts as "somebody actually killed (as in real-world killed)", is the reason why fencing, boxing, wrestling, and those martial arts sports are not as dangerous.

I know that people are more adept at taking Bach's statement down, but can't he see such simple flaws in his reasoning?

The line between fiction and reality is getting increasingly thin. I dont want to pick a side on this but following the logic, its effectively saying all who plays AoE or 0AD would be a war mongerer or something given the chance. Now thats just ridiculous.

His reasoning is dumb, but I think it would be a big mismatch to add esports to the Olympics. Should they add table top gaming? Chutes and Ladders? I can't imagine they would still be playing Starcraft 2 forty years from now. The events in the Olympics are physical events and should stay that way. Let esports be their own thing. It's okay to be your own thing.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

They may accept League of Legends , Star Craft 2 and both of them has violence :D , they used these 2 games (PES also was there , with clash royale i guess not sure) during the Asian games of 2018 as a pilot to see feedback .... although LOL has violence they cannot ignore the player base of this game , at the end when they want to add a title in Olympic they also consider how much money they can get out of it , LOL with famous players milions of online viewer ... advertisement and .... 

So i think this rule will apply to have an excuse not allowing to enter some games ... 

• Like 1