Frozen development

Development has been largely frozen at least since March in anticipation of the next alpha (A23), which was released in May. A quick re-release was announced but so far has failed to materialize. It's now September and as far as I'm aware development is still largely frozen.

Between the release of A22 (July 2017) and A23 (May 2018) there were c. 2000 commits, i.e. about 200 per month. Between the release of A23 (May) and now (September) there have been 56 commits, i.e. only 14 per month. This is getting increasingly worrisome.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just my 2 cents. The main issue which held back the release even after all the bugs got fixed was GDPR. And it still is. And AFAIK, there isnt any lawyer here. It took a while to write a patch and even longer to review it. Since its a legal thing and GDPR is quite complex it is neither easy to understand let alone review. And unfortunately it coincided with vacation season, so theres that as well.

The lack of progress is also due to not working on A24 development until WFG is gdpr compliant.

Just as smiley said, the big issue was GDPR and the bad timing with holidays. It was difficult to work around an issue that needed an expertise nobody had at first. But we're getting there, and we fixed more things than we originally planned in the re-release. Thanks for your patience :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, (-_-) said:

Just my 2 cents. The main issue which held back the release even after all the bugs got fixed was GDPR. And it still is. And AFAIK, there isnt any lawyer here. It took a while to write a patch and even longer to review it. Since its a legal thing and GDPR is quite complex it is neither easy to understand let alone review. And unfortunately it coincided with vacation season, so theres that as well.

The lack of progress is also due to not working on A24 development until WFG is gdpr compliant.

I am a lawyer - could i maybe help with something?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To jumpstart gameplay (and annoy all of the top-tier players) you could merge DE into the dev branch (well, minus all the new menu backgrounds and stuff like that). ;) 

Gotta get the art all-stars back in the game too, @LordGood @wackyserious @Alexandermb :roman:

New music from @OmriLahav would definitely be encouraging! :) 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'm just waiting for that new Design_Document so atleast the community has a heading.

Had been a rough release and even rougher months after that. Alpha24 would be released after an even longer wait than Alpha23.

Edited by Guest

36 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

I'm just waiting for that new Design_Document so atleast the community has a heading.

Had been a rough release and even rougher months after that. Alpha24 would be released after an even longer wait than Alpha23.

@Itms do you have the status on the design document ?

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

well, minus all the new menu backgrounds and stuff like that

DE backgrounds are nice. Licensing issues I guess.

5 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Well the Roman looks a lot like the one in Rome total war. Some Icons are also under copyright.

My main concern on the merging aside from the amount of work it would be is that I'm pretty sure there is a lot of broken stuff in it :)

Not as many icons as you'd think anymore, but some. 

As far as work goes, wouldn't be much. Not much would be "broken" per se since you're just overwriting a bunch of stuff. The most broken thing would be the AI.

Mostly facetious anyway since you'd have 2 dozen highly ranked players coming to the forum to loudly complain. 

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2018 at 7:15 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

New music from @OmriLahav would definitely be encouraging! :) 

I've got a few tracks almost ready, and several submissions from other composers to sort through!
I'm moving right now, which is extremely consuming in L.A.... but I expect to be back into it in a couple of weeks.

Will keep you all posted soon :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

To be fair, development had picked up pace. A month back Phabricator was dead. At least, now there is something new on the feed everyday.

I've discussed with Itms IRL and we are trying to make things go better. We will have another talk in Toulouse on the 17th and 18th of November at the Capitole du Libre.

As always there is stuff going on behind the scenes, and communication could have been better.

17 minutes ago, Nescio said:

++Month;

Sorry for the inconvenience.

3 minutes ago, fatherbushido said:

U+1F648 U+1F649 U+1F64A

Meh. I've never been really fond of monkeys.