Total War saga news & videos

• 1 year later...

I mean for what it's worth, the Total War series has never been the best example of historically accurate unit designs and rosters.  Rome Total War was and is an awesome game, but the depictions of Egyptians, Britons, and Germanic Tribes were... shall we say a bit fantastical.  This is nothing much worse than that game at least to me.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

I mean for what it's worth, the Total War series has never been the best example of historically accurate unit designs and rosters.  Rome Total War was and is an awesome game, but the depictions of Egyptians, Britons, and Germanic Tribes were... shall we say a bit fantastical.  This is nothing much worse than that game at least to me.  

At least Rome 1 was easily moddable... I prefer it than Rome 2 simply for this. I understand totally that a game could skip historical accuracy if they assume it and do not hide the inaccuracies. Amateurs are often better than the developers. Historical accuracy at the level of nitpickers is a small market.

• Like 3

That's @LordGood's handiwork.

2 hours ago, Genava55 said:

At least Rome 1 was easily moddable... I prefer it than Rome 2 simply for this. I understand totally that a game could skip historical accuracy if they assume it and do not hide the inaccuracies. Amateurs are often better than the developers. Historical accuracy at the level of nitpickers is a small market.

Rome:Total Realism was my R1TW mod of choice. How about you?

5 hours ago, Sundiata said:

I forgot, who made this piece again? They should have totally contacted him for some proper concepts... 

achilles_by_lordgood_d99zr1l-fullview.thumb.jpg.e073df6ec761fe1e32bf923384506d75.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

1690907668_OnlyBronzeagekidswillremembermemeachillesandhectorfight.thumb.jpg.6c4f2e4acdf9ed33eb2acbac991c70d6.jpg

Oh it is worse than that, they seem to have skipped Diomedes.

70828627_2026291280804694_3691147017905504256_n.jpg.02a1b565fc5956dd5468f383e0ca737b.jpg

4 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

That's @LordGood's handiwork.

Rome:Total Realism was my R1TW mod of choice. How about you?

Hey! It was the first mod I tried! One of my favorite! I played months hardcorely as a teenager on it :P

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

Hey! It was the first mod I tried! One of my favorite! I played months hardcorely as a teenager on it :P

I spent weeks remaking a new Alexandrian empire with that mod. I even took a cue from the Romans and built a string of forts along my borders to keep out barbarians. 

9 hours ago, Genava55 said:

Oh it is worse than that, they seem to have skipped Diomedes.

Diomedes? Dude, what about Memnon and Penthesilea? I want to see some Aethiops and Amazons on the battle field. They were very popular among the Greeks themselves, even though they fought for "the enemy", they were hugely respected and a popular topic in their art. I want to see Memnon slaying Antilochus, Nestor's son, and then I want to see the fight between Memnon and Achilles, that was so epic that even the gods of Olympus watched on in awe as these demigods clashed... I'd like to see the arrival of Penthesilea's Amazons and see them kicking some a__ on the battlefield, and see Achilles falling in love with the great Amazon Queen just as he kills her (talk about drama)... Would make for some amazing cut scenes!

Check these:

Spoiler

On a sidenote, I think I figured out the curious case of the African hoplites from the so-callled "Negro Alabastra". (spoiler alert, it's Memnon from the Aethiopis, part of the Epic Cycle telling the story of the Trojan War)

104263490_Africanhoplitenegroalabastron.thumb.jpg.257bf884a957f3b3e208d0af1a8eb9a9.jpg

Check out one of Memenon's Aethiopian companions, being speared to death by King Menelaos. He's naked, and carries a rectangular rattan shield and a wooden club, just like our Nuba mercs in-game :)  

1527879822_MenalaoskillsoneofMemnonscompanions.thumb.jpg.8fe404315619880c57badf5f0e506bf0.jpg

Speculation time! So, Ramesses II of the Egyptian New Kingdom signed a comprehensive and tangible peace treaty with the Hittite Empire during or just before the time of the Trojan War (Troy was part of the Hittite sphere of influence). The peace treaty went so far that Ramesses even married a Hittite princess! Sooooo, considering that there was an army of Aethiops (black people) at Troy according to the ancient sources, we should probably see this through the lens of the Hittite Egyptian peace treaty. People have variously tried to identify Memnon with a number of people called Amenhotep. But considering the Trojan war was roughly contemporaneous to the reign of Ramesses II, we should probably look at his reign for possible clues. Ramesses ruled Kush through the King's son of Kush, who was a vizier, akin to a king in his own right. During the reign of Ramesses II, there was a King's Son of Kush named Mernudjem, about whom very little is known. Mernudjem seems rather similar to Memnon. In light of Ramesses marrying a Hittite princes, it stands to reason that he sent a high ranking member of his own court to the Hittites. Considering that Mernudjem wasn't the only King's son of Kush during Ramesses' reign, and that so little is known about Mernudjem from Egypt or Kush, perhaps he (and his contingents of Kushite warriors) were the ones that were sent to the Hittites as part of the treaty. Again, this is purely speculation on my part, and trying to link real history to ancient mythology is a little tricky, to say the least... Just some thoughts. 

Perhaps this artwork depicting the arrival of Memnon at Troy is more "accurate" than the depictions in the classical red figure pottery. Mernudjem? Is that you Mernudjem?

1714068575_TheTrojanAllyMemnonKingoftheEthiopiansArrivesatTroywithhisWarriors.thumb.jpg.131c0daaef41beefd233bb7b1510b9f3.jpg 

Penthesilea... So fierce... So Mmmmm...

1775547504_PenthesileaQueenoftheAmazonsbyAlanLeeEdit.thumb.jpg.1a0b85e94ba7c26e99ed24cb19ed073c.jpg

Her arrival at Troy caused a bit of a scene...

last_charge_of_the_amazons_by_zpapageo_d2jbfng-pre.thumb.jpg.d6ecd74358ad78cfd3f2b3f60b6ee629.jpg

Then Achilles speared her to death, and then fell in love with her as she died in his arms... Why Achilles, why?

1502661214_AchillesandPenthesileaBF.thumb.png.b807d1b47a61dda5fcc1df31ca975a8f.png

Well, look at that, it's Memnon and Penthesilea on the same alabastron :) 

Si06IBO.thumb.jpg.20d59b00adb70ecf5e34a720a6b3f3b4.jpg

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
14 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

‘A Total War Saga: Troy’ studio tries to solve historical accuracy issues

https://micky.com.au/a-total-war-saga-troy-studio-historical-accuracy/

Mmm... I have no issue with a fantasy game. I have an issue with a game that pretends to be historical or an accurate representation while not doing really the effort.

Yes that my point :).

Well Total War has never really advertised itself as a historically accurate series.  Take Rome Total War's disgraceful approach to Spartans, head throwers, berserkers, and Roman ninjas.  This take has some glaring issues with the skull headresses, but the armour and such look no worse to me than most any other Total War Game.  If the game was an effort to be historically accurate, I'd say that the experience might be a bit disappointing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

Well Total War has never really advertised itself as a historically accurate series.

Actually they did. Through their marketing, their blog and their advertising. In France, they added the label "recommandé par Historia" (a historical magazine) on the cover of Empire Total War. There was "Decisive Battles" documentaries by the History Channel (US) using Rome Total War engine.

This is like the History Channel, often inaccurate and misleading because of their lies by omission.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...