Something has to be done about battering rams

kianb

Just finished a game, Rome and Macedonia simultaneously attacked me from both sides. Was ready for them, destroyed their army in about 5 minutes but Macedonia had about 25 battering rams, and rome had about 15 coming at me from two directions. 

In what part of history was this ever realistic? Battering rams should be useless if that field is already lost, they're not tanks and at this point it just makes the most sense to spam battering rams. 

One idea I had is to give them two modes, one for travelling which makes them move at their current speed but makes them rather weak and easy to kill and a battering version which makes them hard to kill but extremely slow. And there should be some time wasted to change modes like how catapults work

Making them easier to capture by melee units makes more sense too if we're just looking at a quick fix. 

It's not a matter of "just getting better" I could easily make a bunch of battering rams to outdo my opponent but that ruins the game

I mean I understand this is all for fun but but we should strive to go for realism whenever possible

1 minute ago, kianb said:

It's not a matter of "just getting better" I could easily make a bunch of battering rams to outdo my opponent but that ruins the game

Not quite. Any unit with hack attack (Swords) could destroy a ram pretty quickly.

The other side has to be considered too. After all turtling up with multiple layers of walls etc would be even stronger if rams were to be nerfed. And rams are the only way to successfully defeat such a player. IIRC, 5 Iberian towers with full garrison could kill an elephant in less that 10 seconds.

5 minutes ago, kianb said:

Making them easier to capture by melee units makes more sense too if we're just looking at a quick fix.  

Was tried previously, was reverted though. So I am guessing it didnt worked out as planned.

TBH, I kinda dont really understand how rams can be considered OP. Unrealistic, yes. But OP, probably not. They are slow, weak and has a large obstruction which makes maneuvering hard.

Another idea I had about rams, is make them have to be manned to be able to attack. And when they're manned they still shouldn't be able to attack units other than buildings. By making them slightly more inconvenient they should be made harder to kill. 

But just like in real life a battering ram would never be used against ordinary people, and if a unit is attacking the battering ram and there are not other units there to fight them off they would have to get out of the ram and do it themselves. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kianb said:

shouldn't be able to attack units other than buildings

Agree with that.

Not sure about the other part. Might make it too complex.

Edit: You might also be interested in this thread.

Edited by Guest
Link to a relevant thread.

3 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

Not quite. Any unit with hack attack (Swords) could destroy a ram pretty quickly.

The other side has to be considered too. After all turtling up with multiple layers of walls etc would be even stronger if rams were to be nerfed. And rams are the only way to successfully defeat such a player. IIRC, 5 Iberian towers with full garrison could kill an elephant in less that 10 seconds.

Was tried previously, was reverted though. So I am guessing it didnt worked out as planned.

TBH, I kinda dont really understand how rams can be considered OP. Unrealistic, yes. But OP, probably not. They are slow, weak and has a large obstruction which makes maneuvering hard.

It's the unrealism factor of it that's the biggest issue in my opinion. A person can develop their skill to create more rams than the other side and beat them at their own game, but what's the point of that? 

Realism is the strength of this game, and shouldn't be sacrificed so readily

This has been raised numerous times on the forums and several mods have been published, some of which are available at mod.io. You can load them from within the game: Settings/Mod Selection/Download Mods/Connect, then select the mod you like to try out (e.g. Siege), click Dowload and Back, then select it in your Available Mods list, click Enable, Save Configuration, and Start Mods.

Time to start training sword or even spear champs, sword cavalry, heroes and plain swordsmen

25 rams would cost 8750 wood and 5000 metal, are you sure of their number and if so then something went wrong

Perhaps they were left to their own devices for too long or the starting resources were too high

5 hours ago, kianb said:

A person can develop their skill to create more rams than the other side and beat them at their own game, but what's the point of that

Not really, no. Not if the enemy is prepared. You drain yourself of resources for rams and find you can do nothing as your rams get hacked away.

Although it would be nice to see rams capturable again

Either garrison or lose them to even ranged units

Edited by Hannibal_Barca
  • Like 1