building 0ad on OSX High Sierra using brew

I thought I'd see if I could get it built using brew to install the dependencies. The official build instructions seem kind of old; they don't mention brew or recent version of xcode. I figured some instructions for building using brew would be easier to maintain than the build-osx-libs.sh script, and easier for developers new to the project. Or did I miss something? Is there a reason that brew isn't being suggested?

41 minutes ago, andy5995 said:

I thought I'd see if I could get it built using brew to install the dependencies.

If you try to build the game with a different build system, you'd need to know which dependencies are needed. Because it seems, that you didn't install SpiderMonkey.

The official build instructions seem kind of old; they don't mention brew or recent version of xcode.

Old != invalid. Also we can't use brew yet, because brew supports well only 10.11+, 10.5–10.10 are supported on a best-effort basis (https://docs.brew.sh/Installation), but we support 10.9+ (for bundles 10.7+).

I figured some instructions for building using brew would be easier to maintain than the build-osx-libs.sh script, and easier for developers new to the project.

I don't think that the brew can fully replace the script, because we need to use custom compilation options and to patch some libraries anyway.

• Thanks 1

I do have a custom setup using brew for most libraries, but I still use the script for some because it doesn't work otherwise. It's also a super-hack and brew is very much not nice if you're aiming at using the same versions across multiple computers as it's not always possible to access a specific version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...