enhanced hero gameplay suggestion

One day I was looking through the structure tree and I saw that the Indians had a very unique gameplay feature that has potential to make interesting "sub playing styles" for different hero units, similar to in civilization 6 where each leader is like it's own subfaction. I saw something game changing, how the edict of Asoka pillar could only be built if you are playing with Asoka. It may look small, but the potential to have leader-specific buildings/units opens up a whole new untapped gold mine for gameplay richness. One of 0 AD's strong points is how every faction is unique, unlike in civ where each civ only has one unique unit and building, and it would open a new way to play if each hero unit had it's own unique gameplay as such. For example, imagine if a player decided to play as a faction, and they had their normal unique gameplay style for using that faction, but then they would have the strategic choice of choosing which hero to play, as each hero would have it's own playing style more then just it's auras/small bonuses and standard combat stats, but it's own unique units/buildings you can and cannot build when he is alive as a small example scratching the surface of the potential.

I feel this feature would make the gameplay even more rich and create more new playing strategies.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, (-_-) said:

Requires the one time hero training feature first.

I'd rather it be like once you click the City Phase upgrade a window pops up with choices. You choose from the 3 or more heroes you have available and then that hero appears at that Civic Center once the City Phase upgrade is complete. That choice can come with a hero, special technologies, and/or any special abilities specific to that hero.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Indeed, like in Age of Mythology or Age of Empires III

7 hours ago, (-_-) said:

Requires the one time hero training feature first.

16 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

I created a repo for a Stunnable component but never got around implementing it.

Could be in Health.js too I don't know.

11 hours ago, Imperator Ferrum Princeps I said:

leader-specific buildings/units

Well that is already sort of working in https://www.moddb.com/mods/hyrule-conquest

2 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

I created a repo for a Stunnable component but never got around implementing it.

Could be in Health.js too I don't know.

Maybe, could be more cleaner to have a specific UnitAI state. Not really sure.

1 hour ago, av93 said:

What is the behaviour?

Of course this will have to be added edited by @Itms and @Prodigal Son in their documents. If it is to be included of course.

But to me:

A Stunnable entity is an entity that instead of dying when its health reach 0 just falls down on the battlefield. When friendly units arrive nearby a bar charges with a given timeout and if they stay around for enough time the unit goes back to life. If you don't stick around the bat discharge to 0.

This ability will be configurable. The timeout will be variable, and the unit can have a limited or an unlimited amount of revival for potential scenarios. An entity can be optionally dropped on knockout like a grave.

The bar charging could be a bar or stars filling up as long as the feeling of progression is conserved.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Of course this will have to be added edited by @Itms and @Prodigal Son in their documents. If it is to be included of course.

But to me:

A Stunnable entity is an entity that instead of dying when its health reach 0 just falls down on the battlefield. When friendly units arrive nearby a bar charges with a given timeout and if they stay around for enough time the unit goes back to life. If you don't stick around the bat discharge to 0.

This ability will be configurable. The timeout will be variable, and the unit can have a limited or an unlimited amount of revival for potential scenarios. An entity can be optionally dropped on knockout like a grave.

The bar charging could be a bar or stars filling up as long as the feeling of progression is conserved.

And a Stannable one? :lol2:

Spoiler

Sorry, 1/10 joke

19 hours ago, (-_-) said:

Think of the hero concept from AoE3. The exact same thing.

Aoe3 explorers autoregen it's life alone, you only need a unit around when the explorer it's in it's 25% aprox of his life

Edited by av93
  • Like 1