[Terra Magna] Terra Magna is now available!

asterix

6 hours ago, wackyserious said:

What should we work on next? Scythians? Thracians?

First, we need to finish up Zapotects and Xiongnu then we may work on Thracians and Scythians and meanwhile think about including Thebans and Epirotes from DE.

20 hours ago, Sundiata said:

I'm surprised that the Greco-Bactrian Kingdom isn't suggested more often.

Me too, including them, will make perfect sense. But do you know what it means to you @Sundiata (research)? 

• Like 1

Thebans and Epirotes from DE have the benefit of mostly being complete (though I am sure they can be greatly improved by new assets that aren't so heavily borrowed from the Macedonians, Athenians, et al). 

Thracians and Scythians and Greco-Bactrians sounds like great choices. Greco-Bactrians can use the Seleucid buildings for placeholders. Parthians would make another great choice. Perhaps round out with the Pre-Classical Mayans? Terra Magna can add these cool civs and use standard Empires Ascendent gameplay for maximum compatibility with the core civs, and Delenda Est can use them to experiment and push the boundaries.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

Integrating new civs -> Why not.

However the main issue I have is keeping it playable withe main game which means keeping the licenses up to date, keeping the templates up to date because DE has more things namingly glory... And same for the technologies.

47 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

keeping the templates up to date because DE has more things namingly glory... And same for the technologies.

Just assign someone to do this for you. ;) Stripping out the glory costs and using the standard tech tree from the core game shouldn't be much trouble. The bigger trouble would be the actors.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

53 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Just assign someone to do this for you. ;) Stripping out the glory costs and using the standard tech tree from the core game shouldn't be much trouble. The bigger trouble would be the actors.

True :) Need to find Someone. Not sure he's been around lately :P

• 2 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:24 AM, Legionarius41 said:

Chinese can train fauna_sheep for free and 1 second in the corral and the normal sheep (fauna_sheep_trainable)  is still available. Is it wanted ?

<ProductionQueue>
    <Entities datatype="tokens">
      gaia/fauna_sheep
    </Entities>
  </ProductionQueue>

Odd, I had the exact same issue with millennium AD

2 hours ago, Imperator Ferrum Princeps I said:

Odd, I had the exact same issue with millennium AD

yes, it is the same bug but not odd since during the development there were some movements in art repository in vanilla 0ad and in mods it was overlooked so it ended up in most of the mods maintained by Council of Modders.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My archaeology prof did his grad work on Pre Aztec/ Inca central and south america sites. Except for the lack of cut stone and metals they were largely the same. The site worked on appear to be limited to earthen pyramid about the size of a modern 2 story house. Mud brick and some loose free stone.
The sites were very early, fuzzy dates, but closer to 100 AD not 500 AD. 
Olmec societies were well before 0 AD 1500 BC to about 400 BC. You could easily rename everything in the Zapotec civ as Olmec and nothing would be changed except its 0 AD. Names and hero's would be the only significant thing. Names of hero's would harder, we have none. 

The same with low land antecedents of the Inca. They were similar but there is less work. One thing they did do was fertilise crops with fish caught in the pacific with crude reed boats. Fish meal fertiliser at the dock would do that. Use the fishing boat model from the Kushites. 

Note: I am not suggesting new civilisations. I'm just saying that the Zapotec build is basically the mesoamerican build and the Inca are really that build with llama and potatoes. There is not much change in the archaeology from 300 BC to 1600 AD. 

The Xiongnu work well. I'm obsolete yet again. lol. 
We have working nomadic civilisations. Nice job.  
A Scythian build would be just the Xiongnu with brightly coloured pants, farming and a small traction trebuchet. OK over simplified a bit. What needs to be done? 

At the risk of getting flamed. lol. 
An Amerindian, north american, build could be the Xiongnu with Tipis replacing yurts & moved with dog Travois (two or three per tent). Log and earth lodges. Mound & earthwork monuments. Meteoritic iron (Canadian Indians & Inuit) & a big Nerf to mining metals.
I know some one wants only civ's with written languages but Wampum was a proto- language according to some. Similar to quipu or khipu with beads on a string replacing knots on a string. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quipu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wampum#Among_the_Iroquois

If you want them to have horses give them a horse capture mechanic. That's how they got them in 16th century. Horses were lost in east Texas and within 30 years Indians were using horse travois and riding them soon after. 

It would be a little non historic to have Amerindians facing Romans but so is Carthaginians facing Celts or Kushites facing Xiongnu.
However we do have the bay of jars mystery in Brazil, Roman jars in a south american marine archaeology site!?! That's one seriously lost Roman. 

I noticed sheep in the Zapotec livestock corral; is that a known bug? I know someone's doing turkeys and llama (for the Inca I presume). The guinea pig is a Andean food animal too. It's raised in a room in the house with a high step at the door to keep them in. So it would be a house upgrade adding food. 

I thought of a way to add exotic hunt-able fauna to a map. If an area is burned off it creates ash and regrowth patch spawning new rare fauna. Building a hunting lodge or trap line would have the same effect. A wilder kind of livestock corral for wilder peoples. 

1 hour ago, Wesley said:

I noticed sheep in the Zapotec livestock corral; is that a known bug? I know someone's doing turkeys and llama (for the Inca I presume). The guinea pig is a Andean food animal too. It's raised in a room in the house with a high step at the door to keep them in. So it would be a house upgrade adding food. 

I thought of a way to add exotic hunt-able fauna to a map. If an area is burned off it creates ash and regrowth patch spawning new rare fauna. Building a hunting lodge or trap line would have the same effect. A wilder kind of livestock corral for wilder peoples. 

yes, those bugs are known about the other things we put there what we had in our art database at that time because the development of Terra Magna was done in parallel with alpha 0.23 development (some of those things already should be fixed).  In our art department, we had quite a bit of trouble finding detailed references for Xiongnu for more information look at the topic about them. By the way, very nice inspiring ideas, just do not expect it to be done immediately, some of those things would require a lot of time to make and research since we have to look at multiple sources in multiple languages.

Edited by asterix
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, asterix said:

yes, those bugs are known about the other things we put there what we had in our art database at that time because the development of Terra Magna was done in parallel with alpha 0.23 development (some of those things already should be fixed).  In our art department, we had quite a bit of trouble finding detailed references for Xiongnu for more information look at the topic about them. By the way, very nice inspiring ideas, just do not expect it to be done immediately, some of those things would require a lot of time to make and research since we have to look at multiple sources in multiple languages.

Understood asterix but I've been a way only a few months and see so much progress. You guys are always close to it so it seems slow but a year and a half is fast in this field. AoE definitive edition has been three years and it wont run on most people computers. They're supposed to be the professionals. 

27 minutes ago, Wesley said:

Understood asterix but I've been a way only a few months and see so much progress. You guys are always close to it so it seems slow but a year and a half is fast in this field. AoE definitive edition has been three years and it wont run on most people computers. They're supposed to be the professionals. 

that happening because UWP. then bad release date, so then they try to done with several glitches. then try to fix but was worse.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2019 at 8:31 AM, Wesley said:

Some time ago I made a turkey for my mod, I do not know if they also use it in terra magna for the zapotecs

• Like 2