Environnement Grass Experimentation.

Stan`

Texturing has, and is still my weak spot, so I'm always trying to improve there, because I intend to give the flora some love. Today I experimented translating a tutorial from http://www.oggyart.com/tutorials.htm a CD Projekt Red environnement artist to blender. I found the link on Khaganat so I thought I'd try it out. In the end I didn't manage to get much of the workflow in blender, but if someone can make it more straighforward please let me know.

For now, I just take a vertical picture of grass planes just like he does.

Reusing game grass textures I managed to get some new terrain textures. (Files are at the bottom for people that want to try it in the game) I can upload the blendfile on request.

grass_render1.pnggrass_render2.pnggrass_render.png

grass_texture_1.zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Material.png

So I have been experimenting with Substance Designer and tried to learn as much as I could. If you never heard of it, check it out, the results are awesome. I bought a license to be able to use it with 0 A.D.

Textures are 16bits though, shouldn't be hard to convert them back. (It means smoother gradients which improves the final) result.

rocky-mud-1.0.7z

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 4:54 PM, stanislas69 said:

Texturing has, and is still my weak spot, so I'm always trying to improve there, because I intend to give the flora some love. Today I experimented translating a tutorial from http://www.oggyart.com/tutorials.htm a CD Projekt Red environnement artist to blender. I found the link on Khaganat so I thought I'd try it out. In the end I didn't manage to get much of the workflow in blender, but if someone can make it more straighforward please let me know.

For now, I just take a vertical picture of grass planes just like he does.

Reusing game grass textures I managed to get some new terrain textures. (Files are at the bottom for people that want to try it in the game) I can upload the blendfile on request.

grass_render1.pnggrass_render2.pnggrass_render.png

grass_texture_1.zip

Tried these. Some observations:

• The biggest thing you'll notice is that these tile badly. They don't tile correctly at the edges and they have a dark spot in the corners. Fix that and these are on their way.
  • The blade size is too big in scale. Grass blades should be much smaller in scale (for standard grass), especially when compared to units. A few variants with bigger blades are okay though, maybe for tropical grassy fields or for punches of detail. But on the whole, "grass" blades should be smaller scale.
  • Would be nice to have variations where there are plant shapes thrown in and variants where there are different grass colors mixed in (not just all one color) to blend between the different shades of grass.

screenshot0015.jpg

screenshot0014.jpg

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2