Fields of Meroe puzzle

mickmca

My map is dotted with Gaia settlements: three houses, a pyramid, a grain shed and two fields. No one is working the fields, but the freehold is guarded by 4-5 formidable spearmen. I can kill them and convert the properties, but I can't use the properties. Likewise random isolated small pyramids across the map; in that case, no defenders, no buildings. They can be seized but not used. What am I missing?

Gaia buildings can be fun and add dynamism to large team games that fill up the map, especially on nomad mode, where players begin without a Civic Center and must search for a suitable location to build (next to these buildings is a good location). These features also add realism/flavor to the map, albeit at the expense of balance. If balance is a bigger priority, most other maps in the random map pool do not have Gaia buildings.

Indeed. For now, they are just decirations. I used the phrase “for now” because if I get a good idea, I might probably implement it. Back then, the best I could come up with was the gaia attack thing like Jebel Berkal. And since the new maps came as a “set” of Kushite maps, I didnt want to duplicate Jebel Berkal.