Is it possible to alter land elevation in 0 AD? or add land passing penalties?

AnnoCrat

Ah that is great info, also I managed to make the map square, I intended square maps because it implements heightmaps better this way, unfortunately my new random map only appears in  the editor and not inside the game, also was really positively surprised that I could copy all light and environmental settings to the random map (from the piic I posted), this is really cool

Since the whole feature wasn't finished I suppose I won't see terrain shapes just yet :)

On 7/25/2018 at 8:27 PM, stanislas69 said:

Hey, do not lose hope.

This is an open-source project things take longer here. We are currently in a tedious legal process, to comply with GDPR, to offer a better A23 release. Which means most of the dev is stopped for now. elexis is working really hard on it.

The feature might be for A24, if someone finds the time/motivation to do it. Nevertheless, it never being implemented probably means there is something more than a few lines of JavaScript code. Coding is fun and can be rewarding. A few devs here started from the bottom and now do awesome things, and it's never to late to start :) Nothing will beat motivation at getting things done. The best way to get something done is to do it yourself though :)

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Devs have stopped to dev because the legal changes? I don't understand it. If some of you are working in this changes, that doesn't mean that other devs could still work in programming, don't they?

54 minutes ago, AnnoCrat said:

unfortunately my new random map only appears in  the editor and not inside the game

You didn't create a new random map, those are created with code and are saved in maps/random/. When generating an existing random map in atlas, it computes one specific map of all the maps that script can generate, and that can then be saved as a Scenario or Skirmish map and you find it only by the map Title (not by the filename) in the ingame menu.

A map in the current pyrogenesis engine is a 2D grid of X * X tiles, each vertex can have a different height. The heightrange is big, so you can create a curved map, but it's not possible to have two different terrain locations at one place (overhang) in the terrain.

1 hour ago, av93 said:

I don't understand it.

We're updating our privacy policies for GDPR until we start alpha 24 development.

• Like 1

but you can;t place water then? or can you manually place water on higher grounds too?

edit: What I try to explain is that it is only possible for water to exist on a certain vertex height level that can be edited in the map settings, if you made a curved world, you could only get water on the edges, since there are also lakes etc in higher grounds, like mountains, I would be wondering if there is a setting somewhere that terrain can be marked as having water (regardless of terrain height level) tiles can already be marked as water, ground, buildable etc, could it be possible to let water appear on tiles that have this property set?

Sorry I have experience with over 10 different kinds of similar game engines and their creator's ideas on how they shaped the terrain, also an interesting feature I saw in cossacks (1 & 3) & american conquest are streaming directions of water. this way water animates in a way that it is streaming towards a direction in a set speed. In the editor you can draw a line with a water stream tool and you can set a start and end point of the line and the length of a line, the water will make a streaming animation towards that direction you set the start and endpoint to, and the length of the line indicates the speed the water should flow with, but I think setting a numerical value on that line with water streaming speed would remove the restriction of being forced to draw long lines on sharp curves, now I go work in another external terrain editor and attempt to make a curved globe map :) Ill post the result here

Edited by AnnoCrat

ah I managed to display the skybox, if the map is circular, why is the skybox square? and why are the borders of the map crossing to the skybox still black? is it possible to make the skybox circular like the map itself?  @elexis

Ps: is there somewhere a mod that has stonehenge for this game?

Ps2 (Lol haha :laugh:):  where are the skybox textures located? can't find any files with the cloudnames

screenshot0012.png

Edited by AnnoCrat
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AnnoCrat said:

ah I managed to display the skybox, if the map is circular, why is the skybox square? and why are the borders of the map crossing to the skybox still black? is it possible to make the skybox circular like the map itself?  @elexis

screenshot0012.png

As the name describes the skyBox is just a box with images on each face, in 0ad the skybox botom side is black because is not necessary for the game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skybox_(video_games)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AnnoCrat said:

ah I managed to display the skybox, if the map is circular, why is the skybox square? and why are the borders of the map crossing to the skybox still black? is it possible to make the skybox circular like the map itself?

hmm...

9 minutes ago, AnnoCrat said:

Vanilla civs Britons or Gauls per chance

• Like 1

would be nice is the skybox was either cylinder shaped by option or for even more realism dome-formed, is the skybox a 3d model file somewhere in the game directories? what file must I edit to distribute a edited skybox? and would making a cylinder formed skybox be possible? or even a orb or dome formed skybox?

Or perhaps its even possible to let the game render an animated sky like the dds file I attached

with 2 transparent cloud layers and a background layer for atmosphere color? the background could be a simple gradient image

DSky0-71.dds

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AnnoCrat said:

would be nice is the skybox was either cylinder shaped by option or for even more realism dome-formed, is the skybox a 3d model file somewhere in the game directories? what file must I edit to distribute a edited skybox? and would making a cylinder formed skybox be possible? or even a orb or dome formed skybox?

Or perhaps its even possible to let the game render an animated sky like the dds file I attached

with 2 transparent cloud layers and a background layer for atmosphere color? the background could be a simple gradient image

Skybox is hardcoded, so currently you're not able not change its shape, only textures. But change it to sphere would be good. Also It'd be good to add atmospherics scattering. I have some plans to improve the sky. But the game is RTS, so usually sky isn't really visible, so even a flat sky works.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AnnoCrat said:

Yeah, but a good sky is good for cutscenes, promotional material, plus I mostly play close zoomed at battles, so which files do I need to edit for editing the sky's textures? @vladislavbelov

C++ Files. Namingly the ones containing sky in the name.

You' ll also need to know some OpenGL code because the box is drawn using that.

If you only want to mess with skyboxes, Make a mod and in art/textures/skies add another folder with DDS textures. The code being hacky it cant use PNg files.

In the thread fixing skybox for maps I gave a bit more insight on skyboxes to Skhorn IIRC 

• Like 1