20 tips to improve your skills by Borg-

borg-

Nice little guide, @borg-. Should help a lot of rookie players. (y) 

9 hours ago, borg- said:

6- Dance: the units automatically attack the nearest units, then select a unit and send it to the front, then click with it from side to side, you can use the SHIFT for this.

This^ kind of thing I would really like the team to look into minimizing in the gameplay. I think these are the kinds of "tips" which are really exploits of poor unit behavior, things @Sundiata has lamented. Not a slam on you, borg, since players play with the game they are given, not what they wish it to be. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

This^ kind of thing I would really like the team to look into minimizing in the gameplay. I think these are the kinds of "tips" which are really exploits of poor unit behavior, things @Sundiata has lamented. Not a slam on you, borg, since players play with the game they are given, not what they wish it to be. 

A lot of good players already hates them. Most of the team members who plays also hates them :P. In fact, @bb_ experimented with ways to solve this a while back.

On 7/12/2018 at 1:54 AM, (-_-) said:

A lot of good players already hates them. Most of the team members who plays also hates them :P. In fact, @bb_ experimented with ways to solve this a while back.

I'll take this opportunity to make another plug for Battalions, since doing this with a Battalion would be suicide for a whole bunch of soldiers.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, elexis said:

So it should be impossible to move a single unit?

I think the problem is more that a mass of units automatically target the nearest enemy unit, instead of spreading their attack over a "front", targeting not only the nearest enemy unit, but also every other enemy within a certain radius of it. If that were possible, dancing units won't be a viable tactic anymore.   

Automatically reassigning units to the nearest target every couple of seconds could also mitigate the dancing unit tactic, as simply pressing the "halt" button regularly during battle greatly increases the effectiveness of your soldiers as they stop chasing people across the battlefield while taking hits and doing no damage in the process. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 5:44 AM, Sundiata said:

I think the problem is more that a mass of units automatically target the nearest enemy unit, instead of spreading their attack over a "front", targeting not only the nearest enemy unit, but also every other enemy within a certain radius of it. If that were possible, dancing units won't be a viable tactic anymore.   

Automatically reassigning units to the nearest target every couple of seconds could also mitigate the dancing unit tactic, as simply pressing the "halt" button regularly during battle greatly increases the effectiveness of your soldiers as they stop chasing people across the battlefield while taking hits and doing no damage in the process. 

It makes sense that a ranged attacker would shoot at the line of still targets shooting back at them, rather than the one target breakdancing out in front. Following Sundiata's proposal, dancing would still cause some arrows to be wasted (rewarding the micro), but it won't completely disable the lesser player's army. 

Is there a thread that explains ranged unit targeting priority?

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
On 7/11/2018 at 11:56 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'll take this opportunity to make another plug for Battalions, since doing this with a Battalion would be suicide for a whole bunch of soldiers.

Hahaha I love that .. But unlike @DarcReaver I want free will to form battalions. (optional)

10 hours ago, itrelles said:

borges, one year has passed, tip list need to be bigger stronger sexier and larger!

Resultado de imagen para borges

Great writter. 

On 7/12/2018 at 3:44 AM, Sundiata said:

One of many tnings I need to learn to do and practice instead just give defensive behavior.

On 7/16/2018 at 11:59 AM, Obelix said:

This listicle should be translated in other languages! I guess this helps beginners from all around the world.

Unfortunately I do not understand every piece of information in this post, so I cannot translate it fully to German.

95% done wih my lang.

• Like 2

I think there could be a "max attackers" component in the templates just like there's a max gatherers component for trees and other resources. Gatherers focus on other nearby trees when the max is reached for the target tree. This spreads out the gatherers better and doesn't clump them on any one tree. The same could be done for combat, with one change: units can focus fire if directly tasked to by the player, otherwise they default to max attackers code.

All in favor?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Changing the topic how feasible it would be to add the mod keys to the game.

I am not sure i understood the question but for example nani made a mod for buildings hotkeys. Not any kind of hotkeys can be added then played in multiplayer with others though.

28 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

About the technologies especially blacksmithing and other not so economical which you suggest in a general way.

Independently of the map, because in AoE I can tell you clearly where to go, but here is always a thin line of ignorance.

I can tell how i use the technologies if requested, otherwise i'll let that to borg

• 3 months later...