===[TASK]=== Kushites voices

Stan`

Using those

23 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

No problem!  Glad to help out!--unfortunately I don't know any Meroitic...it's a cool language though, from what I hear.  If you have a ton of time, there's this grammar that people really like: https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/the-meroitic-language-and-writing-system/D1534C93DCCA955D82E0594CE92598FC

@Sundiata I'm having trouble figuring out what language you used for the ethnonyms in your unit translations?  Are they (ie: Noba etc...) from the Egyptian, Meroitic, or Greek?  Also it would be really cool to see if the names could appear in hieroglyphs (see my previous attached file).  I'm happy to type them up, if there is support for the hieroglyph section of unicode in the game's fonts.

Off the top of my head, here are those phrases for the recordings:

For the IPA (not sure if you're familiar with it), the apostrophe (') means the syllable after it is stressed, and the colon (:) means the vowel is long (like the difference between the Greek epsilon and eta).  The other symbols can be looked up on wikipedia (and usually have nice sound clips)

Late Egyptian IPA
What is it?             Ya-merak iḫ? ja'merak ix
My lord?                Payi Neb? pa:'ji: neb
I will walk             Tu-i r ḫantaš tu: i: r 'xantaʃ
I will go out against them Tu-i r šem r-šoʿ-san tu: i: r ʃem r 'ʃo:ʕsan
I will build            Tu-i r qode tu: i: r 'qo:de
I will work land [lit. Dig a canal]    Tu-i r garag-meru tu: i: garag'me:ru:
I will gather together  Tu-i r ʿawo tu: i: r ʕa'wo:
I will herd             Tu-i m mini tu: i: m 'mi:ni:
I will fish             Tu-i m weḥʿa-remu tu: i: m weħʕa're:mu:

I will attack!          Tu-i r ʿaḥo tu: i: r ʕa'ħo:
I will repair           Tu-i r ʿayin se tu: i: r ʕa'ji:n se:
I will hunt             Tu-i r boḥas tu: i: r 'bo:ħas
I will heal            [Lit. Live, Prosper, and Be Healthy!] ʿOnḫ, Waḏo, Sonb! ʕo:nx wa'dʲo: 'so:nb̩
I will march!           Tu-i r moša tu: i: r 'mo:ʃa
I will retreat!         Tu-i r poẖer tayi wot tu: i: 'po:xer ta:'ji: wo:t
Battle cry             [Lit. We are like Sakhmet in her rage!] Tu-en mi Saḫmet m-tayes ot! tu: n mi: saxmet m ta:jes o:t
I will garrison Tu-en ẖar peru tu: n xar peru:

My little voice, and the lovely one of my friend I started recording voices again.

@Samulis

Can you do your magic ? :)

Desktop.zip

• Like 1

Here you go!

A few suggestions for the future:

• Avoid talking directly into the microphone grill, as it will likely result in the plosive (like 'p' or 'b') to create a thump in the recording. Breathing into the mic will also create a similar thumping sound, which is not good. It is suggested to hold the mic either slightly below the mouth, talking just 'above' it, or to have the mic suspended slightly above the mouth, talking just 'below' it. It is suggested that the mic is about 3-10 inches (8 - 25 cm) from the mouth and is kept in a consistent position and angle while recording the voice.
  • Recording with the mic farther away will reduce excessive bass pick up (called 'proximity effect'). When a directional mic is less than about a meter or so away, it will pick up slightly more and more bass the closer it gets, until it is super bassy. While this can be used intentionally sometimes in music recording, too much proximity effect in a voice recording can make it sound "tubby" and strange. I suggest you try a few distances, up to 40 cm away from your mouth, to see how your voice sounds. Note that the farther you move the mic, of course, the quieter your voice will sound in the recording. (edit: and so, the harder it will be to remove the noise...)
  • With only one mic being used, it is best to record in mono rather than stereo. It will also save us 50% space in the game files, which is always good. :)
  • You may find, walking around your space with the mic, or moving the receiver around, or even turning off lights or appliances, you might reduce the hum. Put on some headphones, monitor the input, and try this out. Even a slight reduction will mean a lot! You will notice that the denoising process, no matter how carefully done, will affect some of the vocal character of the recording.

Stanislas69_KushiteVoices_Processed.zip

Edited by Samulis

• 1 month later...

@Samulis I'm so sorry, I thought I had answered you. How are things coming along your way ? Or are you in holidays ? Do you manage to work with Omri ?

Thanks for the voices. I guess we will have to record them again using your tips :) And in a general manner your tips will be really useful. I'm gonna look at buying https://www.amazon.com/Daoe-Soundproofing-Acoustic-Panels-Studio/dp/B0797K9BF7/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533936624&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=accousitc+panel

Might help with the noise, and if it doesn't I'll buy the Yeti microphone, so it shouldn't pickup noise :P

13 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

@Samulis I'm so sorry, I thought I had answered you. How are things coming along your way ? Or are you in holidays ? Do you manage to work with Omri ?

Thanks for the voices. I guess we will have to record them again using your tips :) And in a general manner your tips will be really useful. I'm gonna look at buying https://www.amazon.com/Daoe-Soundproofing-Acoustic-Panels-Studio/dp/B0797K9BF7/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533936624&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=accousitc+panel

Might help with the noise, and if it doesn't I'll buy the Yeti microphone, so it shouldn't pickup noise :P

If you keep recording fairly close to the mic, there's no point in getting acoustic panels. Besides, you won't really notice much of a change with those products unless you use a lot of them and are very strategic in their placement- for example, just sticking six of them on a wall won't really do all that much. On the other hand, if you have a hard floor (tile/stone/wood), getting something like a big area rug would help quite a bit and can also be very cheap. Generally the thicker/more fluffy the rug, the better it works.

Definitely the biggest area for improvement would be trying to get rid of the hum/buzz. If your wireless receiver and transmitter have different channels, you could see if that helps too.

I'm currently a bit busy at the moment with a bunch of different projects, but I am continuing work on the new sounds as I can. I recorded an additional 3 GB last week, including some "normal" horses, cattle, and a few other things. I also finished sorting out my earlier recordings and even started processing some of them (already have a bunch of draft horse sounds that I'd like to put up soon). I figure that's a topic for another thread, though.

2 minutes ago, Samulis said:

I'm currently a bit busy at the moment with a bunch of different projects, but I am continuing work on the new sounds as I can. I recorded an additional 3 GB last week, including some "normal" horses, cattle, and a few other things. I also finished sorting out my earlier recordings and even started processing some of them (already have a bunch of draft horse sounds that I'd like to put up soon). I figure that's a topic for another thread, though.

Great news :) Keep us up to speed, and don't hesitate to post stuff in a relevant thread for everyone to hear, when you have something.

• Like 1

Just now, stanislas69 said:

Great news :) Keep us up to speed, and don't hesitate to post stuff in a relevant thread for everyone to hear, when you have something.

Will do! I am about to go on a short "workcation" for a week, but when I get back, I'll post up some of the sounds so far. I still need to do clean-up, like removing when a bird chirps in the horse walking sound and so on.

Should I post it in this 'Official Tasks' forum or the 'Unofficial Tasks' forum since it doesn't have a related Trac/Github fork at the moment and would just be some loose audio files?

Seems pretty official to me :)

So just create a thread named ===[TASK]=== Whatever Sound :) I'll leave the organisation up to you.

That reminds me that animals have a feeding animation, so we should at some point enable sounds for that too. Gah, so much things to do.

3 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Seems pretty official to me :)

So just create a thread named ===[TASK]=== Whatever Sound :) I'll leave the organisation up to you.

That reminds me that animals have a feeding animation, so we should at some point enable sounds for that too. Gah, so much things to do.

Oooh, one step ahead of you then; recorded some horse grazing sounds. :D

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Samulis said:

Oooh, one step ahead of you then; recorded some horse grazing sounds. :D

Tis gonna be good. I have no idea on how the review process is gonna go though, I guess we'll see. It's been a while since we had someone on the sound department not working on music.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...