Buildings models revision

48 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Why are they in a mod and not in the game?

42 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Perhaps because some kind of a feature freeze started in March and is still in place now in July?

41 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The eyecandy mod is like 2 years old breh.

Well... No reviews :) Everyone was dead two years ago.
Also the fact that I only recently had the power to do something about it. Which was really taken by reviewing the Kushites, the horse anims, and all the little art fixes :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Well... No reviews :) Everyone was dead two years ago.
Also the fact that I only recently had the power to do something about it. Which was really taken by reviewing the Kushites, the horse anims, and all the little art fixes :)

Yeah, I just looked at it and besides all the broken models and actors, a lot of the work isn't up to your current standards. Some stuff like a couple of the terrains, the barrels, the ferns, the carts, and the barriers are all good. Other stuff notsomuch. You're much better now. :) 

6 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yeah, I just looked at it and besides all the broken models and actors, a lot of the work isn't up to your current standards. Some stuff like a couple of the terrains, the barrels, the ferns, the carts, and the barriers are all good. Other stuff notsomuch. You're much better now. :) 

So what'd you like to be in the game in their current state ? :)

5 hours ago, Sundiata said:

Example: "Reconstruction of a roof with smoke-vent or skylight pan tile (opaion) from Acquarossa, Phase 3" (Etruscan):

Well...:unsure: Looks like chimney was bad idea... But I still hope developers will not abandon to build in missed gates at fortresses and at some other structures such as Mauryan Palace. Also fix roman barracks texture and do something with hellenic tiles and shifted to the right main buildings of Athenians and Macedonians. Luckily Spartans civil centre have correct position of main building.

Spoiler

1938444412_.png.8138f3f1492bbcdcff657eb39c80cfc1.png

Spoiler

-.png.ee510816e363b3d44780ddf924fab72d.png

Spoiler

0.png.163487748115ad23c789bf7633535453.png

Edited by RukoFiber
  • Like 1

Roman barracks and walls are getting a rework, don't worry about them. I'll see what I can do about the civic centers and the corresponding decal issue it brings up. This could be a very interesting 'drop prop' opportunity as well. Doors are a must for fortresses, I'm not sure what happened there to be quite honest.

If someone else tackles the doors, make sure they're sturdy wooden doors and not portcullises, latter is a staple of medieval castles, also another reason to remake the Roman barracks

Does someone know if the Mauryan palace one of those eyecandy buildings that was decided to be buildable in-game? I haven't played them in a good long while...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Why are they in a mod and not in the game? :) 

Yes definitely. A very important plant for the Egyptian maps. 

mountain_mentalray_01.jpg699b955a-a4bf-4

lowpoly-mountain-x1-3d-model-low-poly-ma

barracks-desert-mountain-03-3d-model-obj

Eh, how? Mapgen doesn't have anything that can really support making those kinds of mountains. I'm assuming the mesa thing was just a model but the rest of those things require mapgen and texturing capabilities that the game doesn't really support.

37 minutes ago, aeonios said:

Eh, how? Mapgen doesn't have anything that can really support making those kinds of mountains. I'm assuming the mesa thing was just a model but the rest of those things require mapgen and texturing capabilities that the game doesn't really support.

I was saying to the artists they could model some mountains. It has been mentioned before so they know what I mean.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LordGood said:

Does someone know if the Mauryan palace one of those eyecandy buildings that was decided to be buildable in-game? I haven't played them in a good long while...

IRC, this was a scrapped CC model

What about just using foreign mountains from sketchfab? (And scale, change poltcount where needed)

E.g.:

https://sketchfab.com/models/2017916480d74e4099ce70f69a9fd22c (Unknown license, so we need to ask the author if wanted)

https://sketchfab.com/models/9fe7d680d62e470b8810524f712f9cb5 (CC-BY)

https://sketchfab.com/models/944b20dfffc648ff902ba9c3f59c6b8a (CC-BY)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I was saying to the artists they could model some mountains. It has been mentioned before so they know what I mean.

Eh, you could obviously but they wouldn't really fit in to any map usefully that way.

1 hour ago, aeonios said:

Eh, you could obviously but they wouldn't really fit in to any map usefully that way.

Sure they can be. They can be given an obstruction (and be unselectable) in-game. I could see even backing a shaft mine up to them that players can build a storehouse on a slot to capture and gather metal. 

10 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Why are they in a mod and not in the game? :) 

Yes definitely. A very important plant for the Egyptian maps. 

mountain_mentalray_01.jpg699b955a-a4bf-4

lowpoly-mountain-x1-3d-model-low-poly-ma

barracks-desert-mountain-03-3d-model-obj

While it would not be that nice, it maybe possible to achieve a decent (by that I mean better than now) mountain generated fractally.

7 hours ago, aeonios said:

5 hours ago, LordGood said:

its gonna look stupid, itll pop into existence out of the fog of war once you see the center point. I had that problem with the larger pony buildings. AoE 2 mountains do that too

No one ever trusts me. It's why I'm not a joiner. lol

One need only a small amount of imagination to imagine some changes made to the FOW renderer to render the mountain in the black map prior to being discovered (could be an actor tag), so that it just doesn't pop into existence. We could use such a tag for certain large objects (such as Wonders).

7 hours ago, Imarok said:

What about just using foreign mountains from sketchfab? (And scale, change poltcount where needed)

Something like this could be the basis for an "Open Pit" stone quarry.

https://sketchfab.com/models/9fe7d680d62e470b8810524f712f9cb5 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

While it would not be that nice, it maybe possible to achieve a decent (by that I mean better than now) mountain generated fractally.

Not with that fractal placer thing. Trust me I tried and it was only disappointing and frustrating. It might be possible to generate better mountains and things but it'd be difficult and expensive and way beyond my expertise at least.

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I misspoke. When comparing the Roman barracks to the Roman archery range and stable, it's a pretty good size.

So does it need to be redesigned still ? :)

About mountains we will see. I just noticed my screen colors are so off all the Roman roofs are pink instead of orange :/

Just now, stanislas69 said:

So does it need to be redesigned still ? :)

About mountains we will see. I just noticed my screen colors are so off all the Roman roofs are pink instead of orange :/

It still needs redesigned, I was just wrong about the scale being too big. If anything, some of the other barracks are now too small compared to the archery ranges and stables.

The Roman roof colors are fine.