Article 13: Bad news for EU internet users (Youtuber...)

7 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Yeah, Contributing art to an open source project will become a nightmare. to me that's just a different gdpr.

Not sure how this law would affect contributing :unsure: Do you mean that it might be harder to find good, free source images to use for textures etc since some sites might not be able to afford to get a proper system in place?

Sharing links, memes, images and even quoting articles all become subject to EU copyright directives. No exception for fair use. It's only one of many similar assaults on internet freedom, and the full effect will only be felt in a few years from now, creating a false sense of "oh, but it's not so bad". This is what fascism looks like (sorry, but that's what it really is). They're creating the architecture to stifle all "undesirable" content. Which is basically anyone that isn't big business. It will create an environment were politically, socially or economically sensitive information can be prevented from ever even being published (think of sites like WikiLeaks, or even Wikipedia) 

Our "leaders" are clueless, self-serving crooks that have sold out to faceless oligarchies a long time ago... In my eyes, most policy makers the world round have systematically proven themselves unworthy of our approval, and they delegitimize their own authority through the immoral nature and effect of their actions. We shouldn't accept this. No one should. I don't want to sound like some out of touch revolutionary or something, but International Civil Disobedience is the most appropriate way to respond to this.  

We have power in numbers. 3.5 Billion internet users worldwide. If we say NO, it's NO. They can't arrest/sue/fine us all over some darn memes (or videos of American attack helicopters shooting up wedding parties in Iraq)...  

705899649_EuropeanUnionEUcopyrightdirectivememe.jpg.d7aded86241c1930a2fdaf5f7ad2dec1.jpg

Did I just commit a crime by making that meme? According to the new directives I did... Bite me, EU. 

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, feneur said:

Not sure how this law would affect contributing :unsure: Do you mean that it might be harder to find good, free source images to use for textures etc since some sites might not be able to afford to get a proper system in place?

Well technically if they decide something I make is infringing copyright or might be they'll be able to take it down directly. So anything could go wrong really

4 minutes ago, Dan The Strategist said:

Just the EU digging its own grave further, another example of its desperate attempts to clinch onto its sort of dictatorship power... At least in the UK these new laws will not affect us. 

I guess Brexit will be a différent kind of pain to deal with.

• Like 1

If the worst case applies, we may not allow uploading of files anymore unless there is a copyright scan of uploaded files (which does not and cannot detect copyrighted materials properly). In the worst worst case not only binary uploads but even patch uploads (because they could contain the compelte works of shakespeare too).

• Like 3

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/eu-meme-war-article-13-regulation

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

People should keep in mind the only thing that has been decided Wednesday is that the proposed articles will go to the European Parliament to be discussed and voted upon, probably in about six months.

Unless there is a massive public outcry, it will most likely be voted into effect, so there is an actual need for concern.

It's like the whole net neutrality thing... These draconian regulations keep coming back in new forms, with new names and different packages, but at the end of the day, the power-balance shifts in the same direction. All can work in tandem with each other, and can be applied selectively, targeting/benefit who-ever certain corporate or political lobbies deem to be acting against/for their interests, whatever those may be. Say, for example microsoft files a false copyright complaint against 0AD ("the directive does not provide penalties for abuse"). The game needs to be taken down, even though 0AD didn't do anything wrong, because, protecting copyright holders from "potential" infringements is more important than protecting actual content creators who may not be able to pay legal fees, or even understand how to get their own work "un-flagged". It's a worst case nightmare scenario example I'm giving here, but these directives create the legal framework to do this. 

1 hour ago, ffffffff said:

move 0ad to international waters

Agreed! I was thinking somewhere in the South Pacific... Something like this place should serve 0AD's interests well:

Spoiler

Travel-Guide-South-Pacific-iStock-509918956-HERO-1500x1000.thumb.jpg.d93e30487255cc4565666bfcc970a4fa.jpg

First we just need to geo-engineer a tropical island in the middle of the ocean. Then we could found an RTS commune there. WildFire Land... :drool: 

No copyrights... Generic everything... We'll grow rich farming lush fields of... Lettuce... And we could offer gaming spa's to North-Korean elites, just for the lol's :) (and protection...) We'll ask Elon Musk for some help launching a few satellites to set up our own 0AD-net, (world wildfire web). After declaring ourselves the world's newest country, we should go for a permanent seat on the UN security council and force sanctions on the EU for their bafoonery . Can't go wrong...

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The European parliament (representing the EU's population) decided the proposal can be adopted in principle. The text is still a draft. Now it's up to the European council (representing the governments of the EU's member states) to decide upon the precise wording and turn the directive into law. In other words, it's still possible to change the more controversial articles into something vague and ineffective, but that's up to your national ministers.

And remember it's not the end of the road. Nothing is permanent in politics.

Civil disobedience...

I couldn't care less what Paul Mcarthney and his 1.2 BILLION dollars net worth thinks about his "lost" revenue or copyright laws. Greedy dirtbag... I never even bothered downloading his mediocre music... And to do it under the guise of protecting the little guys... Ugh, makes me so sick... The little guys will not benefit from this AT ALL... Resist!

1988432645_EUcopyrightdirectives0ADmeme.thumb.jpg.892f75f014924b9bd3fc026e17e9d0eb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3