Can you add in 0 A.D a "Kids / Low Violence Mode"?

I really like your enthusiasm and appreciate your efforts stanislas69 to make this mod available. I will try to activate this mod as soon as possible, but definitely before my son's next game! I have done some research and it looks like low violence modes are as much popular as uncensored versions, so ideally I think 0 A.D would have a password protected parents zone, where user can enable this feature and change the game the way they want to please everybody. Default could be set on Neutral, but Child Friendly and Hardcore versions could be available for those, who will let kids play it, or those, who like very graphic scenes full of gore, just like fabio said for B movies and games (and I should add) lovers. Just don't let this to join something called  in the 80's Video Nasties ;-). There was once a game called MDK (1997 third-person shooter video game), where the producer has changed its mind as it was so much violence out there and didn't print its full name on the front cover (Murder Death Kill) and invited everybody to give it their name, so the fun was on,  all gamers out there were calling this funny names in different languages, so that was fun. 

This is a bit off topic, but I think 0 A.D should have a music player, where you can choose the soundtrack, as every time my sons plays one song is being played (actually very beautiful piece of music) but it is playing in the loop... why not play the full album, or enable people to choose what they want to hear, or enable people to play their music by dragging their own music into some folder in mp3 ogg, flac etc file formats. I am sure there is many musicians out there already involved in the music production for 0A.D, but I don't get to listen to any of their music, so small music player would help me to put the music volume bar back on again. Just a thought. I remember in old games music was midi and if you didn't have something called a wave table, you could only get FM synthesized sounds :) which were very difficult to enjoy.

Thanks again.

There is a hacky cheat to play arbitrary tracks within the game https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Manual_Cheats. (The patch was written in mind with an actual audioplayer someday, but the demand didn't exceed the threshold to implement it yet.) Of course one can also listen to the tracks on youtube, but they are a bit outdated. Also this one https://play0ad.com/media/music/ which may be outdated by few tracks.

One can unzip them if one can locate public.zip on the harddisk https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths or download them from here individually https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/audio/music or in the uncompressed quality from https://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/audio/trunk/music/. (One can use tortoise svn on windows to download the entire folder, might be less or more timeconsuming than the webbrowser.)

I am sorry to hear that there is only one person at the moment, I can record something suitable for you if you want to, however I am not sure if  this will meet current high standard. I guess a little variety would be a good thing, you could use this as soon as you would add my name to the Credits ;-) I have sent an email to omrilahav. We will see..

Edited by Free

21 minutes ago, Free said:

I am sorry to hear that there is only one person at the moment, I can record something suitable for you if you want to, however I am not sure if  this will meet current high standard. I guess a little variety would be a good thing, you could use this as soon as you would add my name to the Credits ;-)

We will be very happy if you try just upload the files here and we will review it (mainly @OmriLahav) and  when it is accepted we will add you to credits https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/gui/credits/texts?rev=21332

38 minutes ago, asterix said:

That was made by Lordgood and Niektb

The ogg file I have here for the opening of Terra Magna is named "Omri Lahav - Hill of Sorrows.ogg"

43 minutes ago, elexis said:

The patch was written in mind with an actual audioplayer someday, but the demand didn't exceed the threshold to implement it yet.

As a good workaround one can always just set music volume to 0 and use an audioplayer in the background.

2 minutes ago, coworotel said:

For the opening screen? I always hear the same one.

What version do you have? @stanislas69 Was there some agreement what should be played and with what civilization?

4 minutes ago, coworotel said:

So, no Xiongnu music for now?

Not for now, that is if you do know throat singing since that seems to be their traditional music

34 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

We haven adequate instruments.

Hide contents

33 minutes ago, asterix said:

Not for now, that is if you do know throat singing since that seems to be their traditional music

Yeah I use to like this band:

They have a lot of throat singing (and a lot of throat cutting in the video as well).

PS: @Free if you don't like blood don't watch the video above :P

33 minutes ago, asterix said:

What version do you have?

It just says Terra Magna 0.0.23. I downloaded from a zip posted here in the forum.

Edited by coworotel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, coworotel said:

The ogg file I have here for the opening of Terra Magna is named "Omri Lahav - Hill of Sorrows.ogg"

Hill of Sorrows is an old track of mine. Jeff Willet laid his percussion magic on it and it was added to Terra Magna, not the main game...
But it is indeed one of mine :)

@Free I got your message and sent a reply, please feel free to keep in touch and send me any tracks you think are a good fit for 0 A.D.

Thanks!

• Like 2

On 6/18/2018 at 1:44 PM, stanislas69 said:

Hi there,

I have installed stanislas69's mod and it removed blood only when fighting animals, but not other enemy. Can you please improve this mode?

On 6/18/2018 at 1:44 PM, stanislas69 said:

Here is a small mod that disables blood from the game entirely. Just drag and drop it on the 0 A.D. executable, or double click on it if you have them already bound to the game. I made it a few minutes ago, so there might be some left overs as it's a few hundred files to check but it should clear 99% of the blood.

no-blood-and-gore-mod.pyromod

The previous did not consistently have blood because of the great number of iterations and the lack of variants.

Thanks!

18 hours ago, OmriLahav said:

Hill of Sorrows is an old track of mine. Jeff Willet laid his percussion magic on it and it was added to Terra Magna, not the main game...
But it is indeed one of mine :)

@Free I got your message and sent a reply, please feel free to keep in touch and send me any tracks you think are a good fit for 0 A.D.

Thanks!

I have bought today a few "entry level ethnic instruments" to make it sound real. I have done some research and real e.g. Old Greek instruments cost a lot of money, but I don't want to use only electronic music in my demos. My existing demos however are only rock and I don't think this will be suitable. Give me some time and I will try to come up with something interesting. Thanks!

Edited by Free

Most of the talk about an "extra realistic" mode has involved treating it as an addon feature. It would require a separate download, so it shouldn't be an issue.

As has been mentioned, the blood toggle has been requested before. (It's something I would like myself.)  I think the consensus was that was a worthwhile feature, but we just needed someone to implement it. It's a bit tricky because it will involve changing how some of the  art files work. Corrals are in the game, but they currently only provide a way to create animals. We do want to allow bonuses from leaving live animals garrisoned there (perhaps a food resource trickle), but it just hasn't been implemented.

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin
  • Like 2

My no blood mod  could become official, and be a mod like modmod, not visible in the modselection, that would only be loaded if the option is ticked. This way no change to the way art files are made. The only issue is the duplication

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

My no blood mod  could become official, and be a mod like modmod, not visible in the modselection, that would only be loaded if the option is ticked. This way no change to the way art files are made. The only issue is the duplication

This same thing, animals no blood, but when fighting enemy there is blood. There is still something wrong with this mod.

Edited by Free

16 minutes ago, Free said:

This same thing, animals no blood, but when fighting enemy there is blood. There is still something wrong with this mod.

Did you uninstall the other mod by deleting the folder ? If you didn't it may still be using the old one.
The file is in c:\users\yourname\documents\my games\0ad\ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stanislas69 said:

Did you uninstall the other mod by deleting the folder ? If you didn't it may still be using the old one.
The file is in c:\users\yourname\documents\my games\0ad\ 

I didn't. I will look into this again tomorrow. I have early start tomorrow morning and better go to sleep. I have checked my keyboard for ethnic sounds and I am amazed how many is there and I have never really bothered with them. Now I will sound like Dead Can Dance on vacations in Persia, drinking Chinese beer (not bad by the way). This should be good. 

@stanislas69

The potential issue I see with starting a mod through an ingame option option, is that if someone is playing without internet access, then that feature wouldn't work if it couldn't be downloaded. We could include the mod in the main download, but at that point it kind of seems like it should just be built in directly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteTreePaladin said:

@stanislas69

The potential issue I see with starting a mod through an ingame option option, is that if someone is playing without internet access, then that feature wouldn't work if it couldn't be downloaded. We could include the mod in the main download, but at that point it kind of seems like it should just be built in directly.

I meant yeah it should be there like modmod. Replacing Every file by code sounds like pain. One could hardcode files containing blood on their names to not be loaded but that sounds like a big source of bugs.