Problems with multiplayer in MAC

Charly-Magne

I don't think any of that should apply to us. Logs are different from tracking user preferences and personal info, and the only data collected by the game itself is impersonal system info used for community statistics and error reporting. What we collect and the way we use it shouldn't be relevant to privacy laws one way or the other, unless wfg is doing something unscrupulous that I'm just not aware of. :P

20 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Forums, lobby messages, irclogs, lobby IPs list of contributors screen messages and anything people share with us.

Forums are separate from the game itself, as are the IRC Channel, trac, and Phabricator. The contributor credits lists are on an opt-in basis. As for the lobby, you should inform users what you collect and why, anonymize the data or store it pseudo-anonymized (e.g. encrypted), send users their data when requested, and erase it when reasonable.

18 minutes ago, elexis said:

Did you just post personal data online? That's one of the things that isn't clear to me.

Can I be personally identified by my post?

Third party opinionpieces should not be left without links to the actual regulation: art-4-gdpr, art-6-gdpr.

‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person;

"relates" seems ambiguious, no?

At first I thought too it's only structured data (name, email, IP address database columns, see the examples on the site you quoted).

But unstructured data (forum posts, chatlogs) are the greter problem and it's not excluded in the GDPR as far as I see.

If some other post you or someone else posted contains information that allows identifying your natural person, then this post here relates to that other post by your identifier / nickname. So in the worst case everything can be regarded as personal information if we don't know the content of every bit.

Ok, after looking over it what I found was this:

https://gdpr-info.eu/art-89-gdpr/

Because we are not collecting any personally identifying information (e.g. names, addresses, gender, religion, personal preferences, etc) in any sort of structured way and because the only reason that we collect any information is for archiving or statistical purposes it seems that we are most likely exempt from the need to provide legal disclaimers for anything. The law explicitly states that it was created to limit data collection for advertising purposes and the sale or abuse of any such personal information, and there are specific exclusions for trivial purposes like archiving and the implicit sort of records that occur with things like forums. Collecting, eg, system information for statistical purposes to aid in development is also exempt, as long as we don't collect anything that would allow individual users to be identified. Obviously anything voluntarily submitted in public bug reports is also exempt, not that it actually constitutes personal information anyway, but in the case that it does the law does state that users have the right to have such information deleted or restricted at their request, which again is a non-issue as long as forum posts remain editable.

Our existing agreements are more than sufficient I think.