Is there a way to create unit variants?

aeonios

4 minutes ago, aeonios said:

Geh. I was afraid of that. I guess that's just one more thing to add to my unholy pile of work to do.

That will be a really nice feature though. I'd prefer weather and day and night cycle or ambient sounds but that's just me

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

That will be a really nice feature though. I'd prefer weather and day and night cycle or ambient sounds but that's just me

Heh. Those are great but things like being able to set what territory classes a structure will decay in seem more important, or making damage bonuses something sane rather than "meleeCavalryBonus".

• Like 1

You plan to have different territory types ?

5 minutes ago, aeonios said:

or making damage bonuses something sane rather than "meleeCavalryBonus".

Mind to elaborate ? I am not sure I'm following your thoughts :)

Well we haven't had much eyecandy (or earcandy) features with regards to the engine in a long time so I thought it'd be nice to have. Ambient sounds will bring much more depth to the biomes :) Same as walking sounds, If I fix the bug that makes playing too much of them unbearable.

1 minute ago, stanislas69 said:

Aren't there already? (own ally neutral enemy - how is the territory of "neutral" players called, by the way?)

9 minutes ago, aeonios said:

Heh. Those are great but things like being able to set what territory classes a structure will decay in seem more important, or making damage bonuses something sane rather than "meleeCavalryBonus".

Additive bonus damages (e.g. +3.0) would be nice to have too. As would de-hardcoding damage types to allow modders to add, edit, or remove damage types, rather than forcing everyone to stick to the hack/pierce/crush scheme. Another thing I'd like to have is the ability to have units occupy more than one garrison space slot (e.g. infantry one, cavalry three). I could go on, but ignore me; I'm sure you already have more than enough to do. Besides, there is still a feature freeze, right?

1 minute ago, stanislas69 said:

No I mean like currently you can't set a building so that it doesn't decay in neutral but does decay in enemy territory, which is really annoying. At least if you can then I don't know how.

2 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Mind to elaborate ? I am not sure I'm following your thoughts :)

I'm not sure if the bonus is hardcoded to only apply to melee or if it's just called that because someone was stupid. It even requires you to set the unit category it applies against to "Cavalry".

4 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Well we haven't had much eyecandy (or earcandy) features with regards to the engine in a long time so I thought it'd be nice to have. Ambient sounds will bring much more depth to the biomes :) Same as walking sounds, If I fix the bug that makes playing too much of them unbearable.

I'm working on a lot of eyecandy stuff atm. :P Soft shadows, depth of field and improving random maps at the very least. The current random biomes are pretty fugly so that's another area that I'm planning to improve, but the way they work now (defined in json rather than in js) is too limiting to really fix it effectively.

I dunno about ambient sounds. I'm not sure if that's hard coded or if it's baked into the music or what. Assuming it isn't the latter it doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to add as a feature for maps though.

Walking sounds seem like they'd be annoying. :P I'd rather that we had sound effects for farming and gathering berries. I dislike how tree chopping and mining are all you hear when there are workers farming away right in front of you.

2 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Additive bonus damages (e.g. +3.0) would be nice to have too. As would de-hardcoding damage types to allow modders to add, edit, or remove damage types, rather than forcing everyone to stick to the hack/pierce/crush scheme. Another thing I'd like to have is the ability to have units occupy more than one garrison space slot (e.g. infantry one, cavalry three). I could go on, but ignore me; I'm sure you already have more than enough to do. Besides, there is still a feature freeze, right?

Arg. It is really hard coded in an ugly way. De-hardcoding damage types would be difficult. I'm not even sure how to go about it, but it'd most definitely break everything.

13 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Aren't there already? (own ally neutral enemy - how is the territory of "neutral" players called, by the way?)

Yes there is at least 3. I was wondering if he wanted to add more than that.

12 minutes ago, aeonios said:

I'm working on a lot of eyecandy stuff atm. :P Soft shadows, depth of field and improving random maps at the very least. The current random biomes are pretty fugly so that's another area that I'm planning to improve, but the way they work now (defined in json rather than in js) is too limiting to really fix it effectively.

Yeah I'm really looking forward to seeing that. Hope it'll get reviewed in A24, though D13 and 3700 are a priority IMHO.

12 minutes ago, aeonios said:

I dunno about ambient sounds. I'm not sure if that's hard coded or if it's baked into the music or what. Assuming it isn't the latter it doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to add as a feature for maps though.

The bird song is hardcoded, which is stupid :)

13 minutes ago, aeonios said:

Walking sounds seem like they'd be annoying. :P I'd rather that we had sound effects for farming and gathering berries. I dislike how tree chopping and mining are all you hear when there are workers farming away right in front of you. 

We already have walking sounds, I just fixed them in last alpha but had to disable them because of side effects.
If we don't have sounds for farming and gathering, that's because nobody enabled them in the options.

4 hours ago, Nescio said:

As would de-hardcoding damage types to allow modders to add, edit, or remove damage types, rather than forcing everyone to stick to the hack/pierce/crush scheme.

4 hours ago, aeonios said:

Arg. It is really hard coded in an ugly way. De-hardcoding damage types would be difficult. I'm not even sure how to go about it, but it'd most definitely break everything. 

It's not so hard, someone called @leper had started that. (See rP20203)

People who want more units role (see the ambiguity of the pierce damage) could add such a damage type.