Formation-Fighting Mod

gaius

I build a Formation-Fighting Mod (https://0ad.mod.io/formation-fighting-mod) in which i changed the game play, balancing and fighting quite extensively. The biggest changes is maybe that now formation fighting get a buff and that champs get aura bonuses to have better tactical options in battles. Strategic decisions most be, made for example, with techs, cause they cost more but are also more effective. Also plundering in early stages should be a interesting strategy cause units and buildings give more loot. I'd love to see the mod beeing played in big multiplayer games to see if the balance is still good and how the game play feels. If u have any suggestions, critics or bugs to report please write here in this thread. 

Itms will be shortly sign that mod,so it will be available directly in game via mod.io.

Have fun.

• Like 4

Itms seems to be occupied for almost one weak with other things I guess.

And as  u @ffffffff rightly suggested i updated the mod.json file.

Here is a  very uncomplete description of the mod:

I tried to make a mod with better gameplay and more strategic and tactical options, while still having good balancing and reducing micromanagement. There should be lessor lag also in late game. Strategic options: for example booming/turtling is now more strictly differentiate. Also the development of different technologies has more impact. More tactical options are now available with a stricter unit countersystem. Sword beats Spear and Pike quite hard, cav beats sword hard. Melee units are hard to kill now, due to higher armour. In theory there should now be long battles of mainly Melee infantry while a lot of tactical moves like combining arms, flanking, encirceling or hit the weak points with cavalry.

So I intented to implement kind of a battalion fighting system with the given engine, while keeping the freedom of singleunits and the classic RTS game feeling. It isn't perfect, partly cause the aura.js file has a bug and the engine also isn't written for battalion figthing. And to organize formations is maybe a bit micro intense, cause they work best when they have at least one Champion in it.

Formation-Fighting-Mod.zip

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 11:54 AM, ffffffff said:

@Itms is in modio api a database entry with website info to have it shown as button with visit website to get it before download?

There is such an entry, but that would also require care to be sure no mods with a link to a bad website is listed. I think that for now, browsing the different mods on the mod.io website is easier and way more appealing (with screenshots, descriptions, all the social media stuff) and when you have made your choice you can use the mod downloader to get stuff.

16 hours ago, gaius said:

Itms seems to be occupied for almost one weak with other things I guess.

I'm sorry I have been sick :) Let me know if you want to plan changes to your mod(s) after fatherbushido's (or others') comments, else I'll sign what you gave me, as planned.

• Like 1

@ltms no problem, I had a lot of ideas that i could that way implement, before the  first release gets out , so too speak. And fatherbushido did not comment on a bug, but a innovent feature of my mod :-).

It would be cool if you sign the latest version 2.2 of my mod. The world waits for playing the best RTS game  of all time :weee:.

@ffffffff  You are right fpre, i fixed it in newer versions but it takes long time for signing.

And I updated also my mod. Now formation-bonuses apply: Phalanx/Syntagma:+25% Health/-10% Speed and Attack, Testudo:+3 Pierce Armor/-10% Speed and Attack, Wedge: +25% Attack/-10% Health, Forced March: +50% Speed but -0.3HP/s when marching or fighting, Skirmish: +25% Hack attack. Formation fight now mostly close together. 

All Unit behavior is improved, regarding chasing, attacking and capturing.

New Scenario Maps like BattleMania are great for testing the mod and for a fast 1vs1 online battle with big armies, somewhat like in TotalWar.

Edited by gaius
correction

Some new features are now that all units if in Formation move also as a formation, and forming a new formation assigns automatic a Hotkey Icon.

From Version 2.0 on the balanced-mod is similiar to this mod, but without the more experimental features like champion auras or CC aura.

You can get a impression how it works on youtube:

• Like 3

The biggest new feature is that by producing atleast 8 units u get a cost discount of 10%, they will automatically form the best formation when produced.

Also I made two extension to this mod:  the-battlefields-of-0-ad   and the-age-of-0-ad. The main difference is that soldiers can not work but female worker are more effiktive and a new barbarian camp is available with free barbarian units available, and infinite production. It can be build in neutral areas like pallisades.  

In the extension the-battlefields-of-0-ad there are also Slave Administration buildings available, which makes the Eco much less micro intense, but plundering more rewarding. In that mod fighting starts very early, and it is more about expansions with slave administration buildings and defending it, than gathering. So it plays more like Zero-K or The Battle for Middle Earth 2 than AoE.

Since both extension are awaiting activation, u can try the gameplay by downloading https://mod.io/mods/file/277 in the https://0ad.mod.io/formation-fighting-mod. Filename: test_slaves_and_barbariancamp.zip

test_slaves_and_barbariancamp.zip

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The similiar balancing-mod has now streets, an improved promotion system for Units (Citizen Soldier can now promote up to heroes and beyond), a kind of battalion-production, buildablable catapults, figthting stamina and bonuses for flanking or backstabing an enemy unit etc.

https://0ad.mod.io/balancing-mod

balancing-mod.2.zip

Edited by gaius
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, gaius said:

The similiar balancing-mod has now streets, an improved promotion system for Units (Citizen Soldier can now promote up to heroes and beyond), a kind of battalion-production, buildablable catapults, figthting stamina and bonuses for flanking or backstabing an enemy unit etc.

https://0ad.mod.io/balancing-mod

balancing-mod.2.zip

Do not forget to sent @Itms a private message that you need to sign your latest versions of mods.

I played your balancing mod and by far the most interesting and more strategic to play. 

I got lost for awhile until I noticed the different resources needed to either train or build structures. 

Many players or even forumers dislike 3 resources per unit but with this, your mod as well Nescio and DE mods are much much more strategic. Spamming of units are really minimized tremendously. 

I think you can add or utilize some of feldfeld mod ideas, f.e. Hero can’t be retrained when it died. 

It works nice and the AI is also responding. There was an error which I will try to post sometime. Also some pikemen (low rank) are behaving like In syntagma formation even if they were not.

Main thing is spamming is minimized and could develop more gameplay especially on MP games. 

I tried millennium AD and they are nice too but incomplete still. Their mechanics is nice except that unit resources cost is same as vanilla. Whereas yours have different metal requirements for each units(more realistic) and structures as well. 

Stamina is really nice too but it should not deteriorate up to zero and the unit/s die. There should be a mechanics or tech so they just become less efficient or less powerful (as in wounded). But their HP should be stable to a certain percentage but not 100%. 

• Thanks 1

Thx Servo, I appreciate your input a lot, and some of your input I already implemented. Stamina now is now mostly only fighting stamina, so walking don't result in slow HP reduction.

And no Unit will die anymore on any kind f stamina, they got reduced only up to 25 HP reached. One error I also always get is when the AI tries to research a Pair_technology like the Eco tech from fortress, but maybe it is a bug in vanilla/Petra. And maybe the pikeman were produced as batch of 8 + Untis then they get automaticly  their natural best formation attached.  

On the newest version also Units with good health have higher attack (15%), Units with low health have lower attack. And flanking  or backstabing give attacking bonus as well. Pomotion for Soldier to Hero is now faster.

And indeed i used feldfeld idea and (-_-) implementation so Heroes cannot be retrained twice.

Also a nice new gimmik is visible garrison, like on persian rams. The archer garrisoned on rams can fire while the ram is moving, so tank battles are now possible in 0 A.D.

Roads are now for more civs available, officers of command and auxiliary troops only for some. And Advanced and Elite ranged Units have now also +20% attack like the melee Units in vanilla already have.

The newest version can be downloaded here until Itms will sign it for mod.io direct download. @Servo

balancing-mod.zip

• Like 2

On 7/30/2018 at 6:24 PM, gaius said:

Thx Servo, I appreciate your input a lot, and some of your input I already implemented. Stamina now is now mostly only fighting stamina, so walking don't result in slow HP reduction.

And no Unit will die anymore on any kind f stamina, they got reduced only up to 25 HP reached. One error I also always get is when the AI tries to research a Pair_technology like the Eco tech from fortress, but maybe it is a bug in vanilla/Petra. And maybe the pikeman were produced as batch of 8 + Untis then they get automaticly  their natural best formation attached.  

On the newest version also Units with good health have higher attack (15%), Units with low health have lower attack. And flanking  or backstabing give attacking bonus as well. Pomotion for Soldier to Hero is now faster.

And indeed i used feldfeld idea and (-_-) implementation so Heroes cannot be retrained twice.

Also a nice new gimmik is visible garrison, like on persian rams. The archer garrisoned on rams can fire while the ram is moving, so tank battles are now possible in 0 A.D.

Roads are now for more civs available, officers of command and auxiliary troops only for some. And Advanced and Elite ranged Units have now also +20% attack like the melee Units in vanilla already have.

The newest version can be downloaded here until Itms will sign it for mod.io direct download. @Servo

balancing-mod.zip

i can't make it work, i have downloaded subscribed it and downloaded it, but it just doesnt work

I have error when using or enabling fgod mod so I disabled it. The game works but I can’t resign. I was just playing a 1v1 mainland to test. Exit works though. If I have a chance I will retrieve the errors and post. Quite busy but for sure on the weekend.