Mute / Ban players.

Wendy22

Hello, yesterday i was muted for some reason i dont know.

i guess i said something like sh1t on lobby or something like that. who dosent use the word sh1t? is it that bad word ?

anyway after u took my voice i made new accounts called like Wendyismuted / Wendestroy. i didnt pretend to be some1 else but wendy, i just wanted the ability to talk / ping people, but for u that was a big crime and u banned my new accounts and banned my main. i wonder, why ur fingers go so easy on the weapon? why mute and ban your loyal comunity for such a thing? why i cant have a nice game after a workday? i dont know where you guys coming from but it dosent seem like currect policy in my eyes. have a nice day.

Edited by Wendy22

I'm not talking for the lobby moderators, who are doing a fantastic job by the way, but we want to have (your words) a "loyal community" who enjoys the lobby and want to "have a nice game after a workday", and they probably don't want to see you shout bad words and creating new accounts to bypass the blocking of your bad words.

Considering the way you are complaining I don't think this thread requires an official answer from the moderators, unless they want to (but thanks Stan for pinging them). What is required is that you think a bit about why you were muted in the first place (you probably know the reason very well) and also think whether you want to stay banned or accept to make some efforts to play the game respectfully, like most players.

• Like 3

no, i dont know why i was muted. as i said i guess i used word sh1t or something like that cuz i dont use to say bad words to people.

i think i use to be friendly with players and moderators, but i cant calim about myself. anyway my dear, if u done licking to moderators u better read again what i am saying, i just said they mute / ban people too fast. i think moderators know i spoke against muting players many times on lobby and said its not ok to take freedom of speech, even when players i dont like got muted i was standing at their side. anyway, i dont care if i get ban for 999 days. but they must rethink about their way of banning / muting players.

PS: i just noticed u r project leader, tho i like the game u should welcome review.

Edited by Wendy22

In that case I let the moderators explain their reasons to you, but the way you are talking here would certainly warrant a mute on the forums as well. You are being disrespectful, crude and insulting and you are making the whole community ashamed.

I don't think you know what freedom of speech is, by the way (using those words on the Internet will always get you this link).

• Like 3

well ye, sorry if i was rude to u, but u responsed to my topic without even reading. anyway im sorry, my point was to share my feeling which i honestly believe some others share. anyway that's my opinion. have a good night and sorry if i did insult u.

Edited by Wendy22

i just think you guys should concider ur mute / ban weapon. a player who been muted and wanna talk with the moderator to understand the reason for mute or maybe explain tothim why the mute was mistaken should not be immidiatly banned just because he made another account. in my opinion the mute weapon should be used just in extreme cases. but those just my toughts.

I wouldn't want Wendy to feel alone in this, so I'll join his side partly with another example. I've seen a well known player getting muted after he started to complain about other player's behavior or some injustice that had happened in a game. He might or might not have used a bad word, but I wouldn't even notice because his outrage seemed to be rightful. The mute looked kind of funny, as if the moderator tried to protect the real offender. It felt like focusing on spelling mistakes while ignoring an important point.

Other than that, I am sure that directly warning people that commit a lobby offence has a much better effect. I know that at least elexis or user1 often do exactly this. But I still agree that adding a mandatory reason will go a long way. In my opinion, the name of the authoring moderator should also be included. Why not? There should be a room for a complaint and the players should know who to address it to. As I mentioned before, some of the mutes could feel like a trolling behavior of the moderator and that is much harder to do with your name written next to it. Let's not argue about this one point: there are some moderators known to be trolls.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

There are reasons on the forums. :)

The reasons aren't publicly visible as far as I know though but in @ffffffff's case, I really can't understand why he needs to be reminded of why calling people certain words really isn't talking about them in a nice way.

Having a reason displayed for people, as well as clearly stating where they should go to explain the situation would probably help make people accept and learn from their mistakes. Especially since that way they won't have to feel as if creating a new account is the only way to discuss what has happened.

• Like 3

Idk how the auto kick/ban/mute is done by the bot. But first offense of the day of a player should result to a kick (can comeback immediately after relog ) that serve as a warning that bad attitude is not tolerated. The second offense should be mute “in the lobby only” but not in the game room as host should have the authority. The next should be ban for 30 minutes so the player can have some little soul searching or calm:). I think banning shouldn’t be done for long hours. Perhaps a 30 minute increment after every ban is not bad at all.

I knew Borg was muted one day and it didn’t add fun to the game room. Despite some players are closing in on his throne I guess he deserves to be on the top not because he is the best player but adds fun in the game/game room too! 

I’ve been to two MP online games only, RoN and 0ad but steam has no lobby moderators coz probably they are for profit. And I found 0ad has lots of destressing players. I myself tried to avoid joining or spectating a game if there is no fun. If you want to play serious 0ad  play single player.

Btw devs are doing good job on lobby discipline 

Edited by Servo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Boudica said:

Let's not argue about this one point: there are some moderators known to be trolls. 

Stating that it is an  incontestable truth that moderators are trolls is something I would disagree with.

Troll is a vague word. When I think about all famous 0AD people I know and ask myself "would I consider this person to be a troll" a different reason could be found for every one of them to make this a true or false accusation. Accusing developers to be trolls is one thing, but the task of a lobby moderator is commonly understood to be preventing trolling, so your statement would logically imply that some of our moderators should be removed from their place.

I don't know who you mean, I could do some guessing. There is a difference if someone does his way of jokes as a player or whether one does that while performing moderation. At least for the latter I haven't seen an indication for the ones who are active (or do you mean the ones trolling that wanted to become moderators and then never did anything?)

2 hours ago, Servo said:

Idk how the auto kick/ban/mute is done by the bot. But first offense of the day of a player should result to a kick (can comeback immediately after relog ) that serve as a warning that bad attitude is not tolerated. The second offense should be mute “in the lobby only” but not in the game room as host should have the authority.

I don't know the exact details either, something that must be diminished. As far as I observed it kicks "Don't use profanity in the lobby" once or more times, then goes on to muting. I suspect that bans are not performed automatically (which I'd personally prefer where possible). WFG has no influence on user hosted games, we can't read mute ban or anything in games. There are different opinions on that, I personally prefer laissez faire where possible. It also means that it's hard to find out the causes of flamewars in the lobby that started in previous games. We draw the line at flamewars in the lobby.

• Like 1