0AD won't run at work

Lister Of Smeg

Hi All,

Whilst this isn't a bug with the game itself, as we know it works just fine everywhere else.... at home, and at work (over the network, when it is up). However today, part of our network is down for maintenance and the game won't open/run. We get the following error...

Our home area's (network area, where our Doc's map too) is down, so dare say it's trying to write something to that area.

However, I was wondering is there a file ( ini ) or something we can edit, to point it somewhere else... Or is there a "SafeMode" switch / version of the game, that will get us up and running until the network is back please... ;-)

Cheers, Lister

Assertion failed: "0 && ("SHGetFolderPathW failed (see debug output)")"

Call stack:

GetFolderPath (wutil.cpp:293)
    csidl = 5 (0x00000005)
    path = [260] 
        67 ('C')
        58 (':')
        92 ('\')
        85 ('U')
        115 ('s')
        101 ('e')
        114 ('r')
        115 ('s')
        92 ('\')
        97 ('a') ...

GetDirectories (wutil.cpp:324)
    s = 
        m_lastError = 0 (0x00000000)

path = (unsupported basic_string<wchar_t,char_traits<wchar_t> >)

wutil_Init (wutil.cpp:562)

CallFunctionPointers (winit.cpp:74)
    begin = 0x00EA0674 -> 0x00000000
    end = 0x00EA069C -> 0x00000000

winit_CallInitFunctions (winit.cpp:89)

wstartup_InitAndRegisterShutdown (wstartup.cpp:109)

initterm_e (:0)

CallStartupWithinTryBlock (wseh.cpp:364)
    ret = 14539184 (0x00DDD9B0)

RtlSubscribeWnfStateChangeNotification (:0)

RtlSubscribeWnfStateChangeNotification (:0)

errno = 0 (Unknown error (0, 0x0))
OS error = 67 (The network name cannot be found.)

@elexis any idea what could crash the network code in case of no connection?

23 minutes ago, Lister Of Smeg said:

am indeed running it on Windows, Windows 10....  Which of the files do you need, there appears to be 6x files here?? Do you need them all?

Is there any sensitive data I need to remove in advance before sending these files for public viewing?

Crashlog.txt and Crashlog.dmp.

If you are concerned about your privacy you can send it to me via PM :)

At least the html logfiles have passwords removed.

If this only happened after some local networking was disabled, is one of the paths 0ad uses a networked directory, such as the config path maybe? https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths

I figured it out I think. A lot of companies put my documents folders inside a network drive so that they are shared on various computers. Sometimes it's the whole thing sometimes it's a backup. Anyway what must have happened is the game has tried to write some stuff in the network drive failed and crashed.

A solution to this would be to pass -writableroot to the exe file so that it uses local folders instead of the system ones.

Another solution is something I hope to do in the future (it's in the works) is to get portable apps to package our game so you can have the game on an USB thumb drive :)

11 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Apparently it works now that the network is back so... Needsinfo.

Hi @stanislas69,

Apologies for the delay again, had to actually get back and do some work!!! How inconsiderate, there is a WAR ON !!! ;-) lol

Anyway, thanks again for all your help today... much appreciated. Pleased to say all is working fine again now, sorry didn't get chance to update this thread, only just got in from work, then straight round a mates house.

Yeah it was odd, as we had planned network maintenance at work today. As you say, all our Apps default to saving their files to a mapped network location. We all have a N: drive mapped, where our Docs sit. Even though this was technically not down at the time, I'm guessing 0AD couldnt see/access it, hence the crashing. Was wondering if there was a method/work around, to repath it times of woe... when one simply must 0AD !!  The Kushites won't save themselves!! ;)

Anyway, brilliant game, love it... keep up the great work ALL those involved !!!