Some Advice concerning recording audio

Stan`

Here is a thing I wanted to do for a long time, recording some voices. A lot of people come and go, but I haven't seen much work towards this in the past few years, and I think it's a shame.

So since I got a little money for my birthday I was thinking to get myself a blue Yeti microphone, it is said it made for podcasts, and since i will be recording, well voice I think that's a good start. The only drawback is apparently it catches too much sounds, so i was wondering if you guys could give me advice, on whether it's a good idea or not.

I also have a (girl) friend that'd be interested in recording voices as well.

@Itms Do you think it could do the trick, since you recorded voices in the past ?

Really depends on the environment you're recording in. The Blue Yeti is a so called 'large diaphragm condenser' microphone, which generally captures a nice detailed sound. But if you're recording in a somewhat noisy environment, you can expect it too pick that up too... :) 

I for once tried (a rather expensive) one in my room but it picked up too much noise from the (rather busy) road next to my house. Instead I went with a 'dynamic' microphone which doesn't have that...

1 hour ago, vladislavbelov said:

I agree with @niektb. I'm using the condenser microphone with an external audiocard for an acoustic guitar recording. And it catches even silent sounds from the street, so it requires little soft walls to block outside sounds.

1 hour ago, niektb said:

Really depends on the environment you're recording in. The Blue Yeti is a so called 'large diaphragm condenser' microphone, which generally captures a nice detailed sound. But if you're recording in a somewhat noisy environment, you can expect it too pick that up too... :) 

I for once tried (a rather expensive) one in my room but it picked up too much noise from the (rather busy) road next to my house. Instead I went with a 'dynamic' microphone which doesn't have that...

Thanks, so do you have some references you could suggest to me ?

If you can source them Styrofoam sheets(for insulation) absorbs sound quite well basically enclose your studio space ie: mic in the centre if there is any housing project in your area you could most likely find cut off pieces in the bins for disposal might be a good idea to ask permission though as the contractor may have conditions to follow on that disposal.

Enjoy the Choice :)      

24 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

I'd like to keep it limited ^^

In that case use it as a baffle for the external noise sources though you may also get external vibrations(traffic) being conducted to the mic remember doing astro photography and any vehicle passing in the street out side the observatory building vibrating the telescope it was a fairly long focal length we where taking pictures of Jupiter add a spotter on the roof with a walkie tackie probably would use cellphones now :lol2:

Enjoy the Choice :) 

Nearly all mics come with shock mounts so you don't need to worry about vibrations being picked up by the mic. If you find yourself in a noisy spot then your best bet is a dynamic mic like I mention. However, only very few of these come with built-in USB audio interface and they generally don't sound as good either :( 

14 minutes ago, niektb said:

Nearly all mics come with shock mounts so you don't need to worry about vibrations being picked up by the mic. If you find yourself in a noisy spot then your best bet is a dynamic mic like I mention. However, only very few of these come with built-in USB audio interface and they generally don't sound as good either :( 

Yeah, I was thinking of getting myself a soundcard, but it starts quickly to be a lot XD. I guess if I get myself the blue yeti I can always return it if it doesn't fit my needs.  I read it's the best I can get in this price range

• Like 1