How would I modify minimum zoom without having to recompile

I have recently gotten good at city planning in 0 A.D. and I think it would be cool to see my cities in "first person" with the great graphics in this game. How could I make it to where I can zoom in farther then in default, similar to how you can zoom in the map editor, and to where I can adjust the FOV to be almost first personlike. Also how could I make it to where your pan speed is lower. I tried editing the local conf file but it seems that the minimum zoom is still in place.

In singleplayer and replays, hit Alt+D and disable the camera restrictions.

You can also zoom in a lot, change the camera orientation to look over the shoulder of a unit, press the follow-unit hotkey (F) and then order the unit around while the camera remains behind the unit.

You can change the zoom levels and other camera options in the user config file too.

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/HotKeys

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

AS I have been playing a lot since this last post, I experimented more about having a hacky first person view.

Is there a way to easily modify a conf or something to prevent the camera from jerking back whenever I attempt to try the camera over shoulder method? Or better yet an easy way to modify the "orbit height" of a unit from the unit xml file?

18 minutes ago, Imperator Ferrum Princeps I said:

But this is not league of legends, league of legends is a completely different genre, modifying zoom in this game is not bannable as they even put it in the official conf file.

True, however this is part of the discussion for the isometric view, on whether it could impact certain players.  Different level of zoom might make the game easier for some people. To be fair you can edit the whole game and change the source code ^^ that's one of the cases where one spent too much time wondering if he could, and too few time, whether he should.

Exactly what I meant ^^

Imo it would not be considered cheating doing this, as it would actually mean you would see less and would pretty much loose the game for you in a serious multiplayer game. It would fall more into the whitehat category I think.

EDIT:

Besides, editing an xml unit file to make 1st person mode possible would not work in multiplayer I think, as it would just be a local change on your PC.

Edited by Imperator Ferrum Princeps I
  • Like 1