Feedback to developpers: GUI ajustements and Memory usage

JFORTE77

Greetings!! I have played your open source game (It has got amazing potential for sure) with a friend of mine and there´s some issues we have experimented and we would like to share with devs (The first issue is a tough one, which doesn´t let us play properly):

Resolution is automatically adapted to the screen resolution (1024×768 or above).My mate has got an old Pc, furthermore, he plays on a 800x600 screen with Windows XP. So we tried the game without knowing if we could play together. Searching on the internet, we finally could force it so my friend joined the game. however, the Interface (GUI) wasn´t adapted to the screen resolution, so in game it looked like the following screenshot:

1613420asd1526678404.bmp

As you can see, the problem resides on he can´t see neither the map nor some building icons. Something similar happens on main menu and lobbies, so he can´t choose civ for example. The gameplay gets really hurted. Would it be possible to adapt the GUI to the 800x600 resolution? He will be pretty much grateful if you devs can achieve this!! Being a person who played Rts games since the beggining, he judged the game as a really good one which honestly, can arrive very far.

The second issue is related to the memory use that the game invest. He only can use 1,5 GB´s ram memory while playing games. On small parties, there aren´t really any problems, but when we tried to play the map "Egypt" with 4 IA, his game crashed, what makes me thing that performance regarding memory use has to be improved. Fps are pretty much okay for now having in count it´s an alpha.

I pray for a dev can see the post so they can fix our issue, or at least give us some info related to it.

Thanks for advance!!!!

Edited by JFORTE77

About the resolution, I'm sorry but there isn't much we can do. The minimum resolution is 1024x768, and a lot of people are pressing us to even drop that one. So I'm afraid your friend either has to find a bigger screen, or try to play with the scaling by editing a file called user.cfg in his appdata folder and add gui.scale=0.75 in there.

About the lag, that's something we are working on but it's not trivial to fix, the more AI the more memory used.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

About the resolution, I'm sorry but there isn't much we can do. The minimum resolution is 1024x768, and a lot of people are pressing us to even drop that one. So I'm afraid your friend either has to find a bigger screen, or try to play with the scaling by editing a file called user.cfg in his appdata folder and add gui.scale=0.75 in there.

About the lag, that's something we are working on but it's not trivial to fix, the more AI the more memory used.

Thanks for the feedback. My mate used your recommendation you gave us creating the file you said and It worked like a charm. That´s exactly what we were looking for. Now we can play without any problems!!!

Regarding the optimization, yeah, I know it´s not easy to deal with it. But It´s okay for us, because we are learning and we are not going to make massive battles so It´s not a real problem for now. Good luck with the proyect guys!!!! We still be playing it!!

• Like 2

Just now, stanislas69 said:

Have fun ! Mods will come out soon :)

Maybe this comment is a bit off topic, but anyway, Would mods split the community? You know, because i can´t play with others if I they have got different game files. And what kind of modifications can be done with the API? Any kind?

• Like 1

As far as mods goes nearly everything. As long as you do not touch c++ engine code.

If you try to play with someone with a mod you don't have it will ask you to manually install it or use the integrated mod downloader.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 1:23 PM, asterix said:

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your valuable and constructive feedback about the resolution we have not implemented yet GUI Autoscale (or dynamic layout) @Imarok or @OptimusShepard would probably tell you more. The memory problem we tried to address many times earlier.

The only thing I can say is that I still working an a concept for a new ingame UI. Currently it looks like it become a little bit smaller than the old one. So maybe the usability for smaller resolution increases. But this isn't my focus.

• Like 1