Catapult AI

The unit AI for catapults seems to have been changed to make them more autonomous, packing and unpacking at will in order to attack moving targets on the map. Does anyone have a strong opinion about this? I kind of don't like it, but mine's just one opinion. I liked their previous behavior better.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

I didnt seen it, but Aoe 3 have a good solution about it.

For people that doesnt know, artillery units works like 0 a.d ones, but when there is a low distance between the place that the artillery needs to move to get in range to attack, the unit, instead of packing again, gets pushed by the crew with a slow moving. I don't know if its hard to do.

3 minutes ago, av93 said:

For people that doesnt know, artillery units works like 0 a.d ones, but when there is a low distance between the place that the artillery needs to move to get in range to attack, the unit, instead of packing again, gets pushed by the crew with a slow moving. I don't know if its hard to do.

This wouldn't work I don't think, because while cannons have wheels, catapults don't. 

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I may have broken something in DE, so I will check the public mod templates to make sure.

I did. Somehow I lost this line of code in the template: 

<UnitAI>
    <DefaultStance>standground</DefaultStance>
  </UnitAI>

Just imagine my confusion when catapults start rolling around everywhere, packing and unpacking without orders, attacking random targets like an archer.

EDIT: Okay, catapults/stone throwers still unpack and attack things when not tasked to do so. Was that always the case?

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:00 PM, av93 said:

I didnt seen it, but Aoe 3 have a good solution about it.

This is necessary, what you think @Alexandermb  in order make animation. or using olders..

Nevermind. when they starting using wheels?

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Just now, Alexandermb said:

for siege weapons like shoushe it could work they have wheels, for others like ballista or any other attached to the ground it will need to unpack or it will look unrealistic

Ya me di cuenta. lo siento. hahaha. ----question--- can you improved the onager in DE we need it later.

13 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I mean... even medieval?

http://www.mywizards.com/catapults/onager/ A pretty decent article.

In short, an onager bucked wildly when fired. If it had wheels, the bucking and momentum of the throwing arm would cause a swaying motion that would reduce the power of the throw. 

• Like 1

Not exactly if it's been asked before (I did do a few searches with 0 returns) how hard would it be to program siege weapons to "attack ground" and roll a random number to inflict random damage to troops near the bombardment? 

Easier to just use siege as defense as it would be for attack. 

On 5/10/2018 at 3:05 PM, silverpathic said:

Not exactly if it's been asked before (I did do a few searches with 0 returns) how hard would it be to program siege weapons to "attack ground" and roll a random number to inflict random damage to troops near the bombardment? 

Easier to just use siege as defense as it would be for attack. 

I guess adding some code in unitai (maybe also in attack component) Command helper and the Session gui, so probably not that hard...

(Disclaimer: I have not much experience with simulation)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The original issue mentioned in the thread where catapults will unpack at will to attack units or buildings, is a straight-up bug in a23.  It makes it impossible to tell a catapult to stop unpacking when in range of the enemy, as after it cancels unpacking it will immediately begin unpacking again before you can give it another order.  The only workaround is to set the catapult to passive stance.