How to build the perfect RTS =article=

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-build-the-perfect-rts/

Recently I invited readers to take part in a little survey so that all of us together could discover what makes RTS games great. Amazingly, 15,219 of you responded and now I have collated those answers into something special that we should all be proud of. Will the RTS genre ever be the same again? Will games ever be the same again? I think note

Combining the top four results of the survey, the name of the greatest RTS game ever devised is Command Age: War Conquer. I added a colon because all PC games have to have a colon. This is intriguing. What is this Command Age? It sounds like a place where vast armies might clash.

The form also let everyone suggest their own names, and when combined that create some classy alternatives. I like Dragon-Mech: Fallen of the Planned Brigade, and one suggestion which was simply: Hero, King, Commander. Thank you also to readers who offered Hedgehog, Buttplug and Thank you for the Shoes General!..

iKFa3sEuo64AKL2TdUHMEj-650-80.jpg

Units must be.

FZdhFTTswp63ZByCRjmsq-650-80.jpg

Graphics mus be

FZdhFTTswp63ZByCRjmsq-650-80.jpg

Focus in.

3UT2nFtn77xbCye86289KB-650-80.jpg

Command Age: War Conquer will have a kick-@#$% singleplayer campaign and strong comp stomp player vs. AI skirmish options. There will be multiplayer too, but the rule of cool comes before perfect unit balance.

The survey also asked whether respondents would prefer a series of missions connected by cutscenes or a territory map that lets you choose from multiple mission options. The latter won by a landslide, taking 65 percent of the vote. Only five percent said they would be happy for the game to be a dedicated multiplayer RTS.

Command Age: War Conquer will absolutely have base building. Of 15,048 responses a massive 92.4 percent voted for the game to include bases.

With 55.9 percent of the vote this game will let you build as many units as I can build until my PC melts. In second place 19.1 percent of you wanted a unit cap of 100, however. Some playtesting required there. Also we might be liable for melting people's PCs, so we might want to factor that in.

But how long should a battle last? The winner, just, with 22.5 percent of the vote, wanted a typical battle to last 30 minutes. In second place, with 21.5 percent of the vote, a battle would last as long as the conflict being simulated would realistically last, possibly forever. It's so close I propose a hardcore mode that you can play if you want to really live that post apocalyptic ancient Greeks vs. ancient Roman grudge match.

And finally...

Some charts.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1