Others RTS - Discuss / Analysis

• 3 weeks later...

Ancestors Legacy is a squad-based real time strategy with a strong focus on tactics. Inspired by medieval European history, it brings to life four different nations 

A new sub genre.  @wowgetoffyourcellphone when you can play it can be nice. I see a new ideas for battalion and squads and interesting GUI.

It’s a historical real time strategy game set in the Middle Ages, during 10th-12th centuries. It’s our biggest project so far.
It has a strong emphasis on tactical actions in both single player mode and multiplayer mode. With clever management and strategy, players will succeed in combat, on which the gameplay is strongly focused. Single player missions are based on historical events which occurred in these Dark Ages. Each RTS fan will find features that suits their needs. Those unfamiliar with the genre, should find this title to be a great starting point. Ancestors Legacy will be released on PC and Xbox One consoles. Soon :)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

@Alexandermb you must to help to think to improving game play

@niektb that GUI is similar to our except for little ornamentals. but Is so nice

Ancestors_01_25.png

Visual/Graphics/Audio:

1.  burn some buildings or add smoke when life is low (40%).
  2. i've already uploaded to phabricator my patch for combat stance and thats something that can be appreciated on Ancestors, you see the infantry walking as usual, but when attacking they charge more than programming speaking about the damage the visual impact is often better, looking a battle while every infantry is walking happy and relaxed breaks all the sensationship of a huge battle.
  3. Add all visible garrison points for every fortress, this could reduce the attack advantage of the garrisoned fortress if they can kill the archers.
  4. better bow sound, better sound for arrow impact (can be achieved with home tools?) screamings while attacking Mix swords swing audios with random battle screams according to gender.

Gameplay:

1. Injuries, diseases with random %.
  2. Units no longer berserk the danger fauna all opposite, the dangerous fauna attack the Units and always chase, never walk.
  3. Add a button similar to Dawn of War on the GUI to hide it, hotkeys shouldn't be the only access to some functions.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Visual/Graphics/Audio:

1.  burn some buildings or add smoke when life is low (40%).
  2. i've already uploaded to phabricator my patch for combat stance and thats something that can be appreciated on Ancestors, you see the infantry walking as usual, but when attacking they charge more than programming speaking about the damage the visual impact is often better, looking a battle while every infantry is walking happy and relaxed breaks all the sensationship of a huge battle.
  3. Add all visible garrison points for every fortress, this could reduce the attack advantage of the garrisoned fortress if they can kill the archers.
  4. better bow sound, better sound for arrow impact (can be achieved with home tools?) screamings while attacking Mix swords swing audios with random battle screams according to gender.

Gameplay:

1. Injuries, diseases with random %.
  2. Units no longer berserk the danger fauna all opposite, the dangerous fauna attack the Units and always chase, never walk.
  3. Add a button similar to Dawn of War on the GUI to hide it, hotkeys shouldn't be the only access to some functions.

Good  point very Relic games+total war vision kind of game . the sounds are very Creative Assembly. effects are great.

24 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Hmm, let's get 0 A.D.'s trees to look like these.

People complaining of current trees having too many polygons. That's not gonna help haha.

What's the game though ? I'd like to take a look at their assets.

• Like 3

If gameplay desing is the main objective then you need to see what others RPG has that RTS don't for example Warcraft 3 Heroes gameplay, Spellforce Hero gameplay, Mount and blade Bannerlord Siege gameplay combat, you need to leave the basic RTS Schema behind thats what 0AD already has, you need to focus on the players who likes the big RPG Games but like to have those features in a mass battle management game, imagine Skyrim with the 0 AD scale or like the mod Hyrule conquest, he brought the zelda series to a massive scale of RTS and before releasing his mod he already has a big public awaiting for every faction and update because Total War is just a game for controling infantry and not buildings, people thinks 0 AD is a free copy of AoE 2 but 0 AD has left behind in visual and unit desing AoE some time ago, now is time to leave that gameplay desing behind if the game want to achieve his own potential and go for a new RTS public, some examples are the mods Delenda Est and 0 ABC wich has another gameplay features but the game base per se is what people feels a copy of AoE and thats need to be fixed before avancing to Beta phase.

Imagine 0 Ad controling not just an infantry spearman but a Citizen soldier and later you choose what you want him to be, Spearman, Swordsman, Slinger, Skirmisher, Cavalryman, Archer etc, cities burning when attacking.

Cavalry dismount needs to be for get rid of the same AoE Schema, Siege weapons needs to be stationary and have a better visual impact of firing slow reload, fast shot, fast projectile speed and spawn dust at the hitspot not flames, and disable rotation for the big ones seeing those big turrets turn around like if they had some kind of rotatory base is just wrong sometimes, for scorpios are ok but for the big Ballista seems wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

I need to get my hands on that game but 40€ is too much for me for a game I will barely play.

36€ until the 29th, but yeah, one needs to consider what one is willing to spend. I'm "having" to force myself not to buy many new games since I haven't played a lot of the ones I have bought already. The trouble with all the deals all the time =) "I better take advantage of this, I know I want to play it eventually, and it is a good deal"... :P =)

• Like 2