Greek Colonies in Spain?

Have you ever heard of Emporion, I am wondering what's some of their history @av93 I saw they allied with Rome in the Punic Wars but I was wondering if there is much information regarding their history. Also what kind of government it had, was it a kingdom with Tyrants or a Republic? Was it strictly Greek in Emporion or was it Iberian and Greek? Any other just general information would be amazing!

On 4/26/2018 at 1:22 AM, Gyrion said:

Have you ever heard of Emporion, I am wondering what's some of their history @av93 I saw they allied with Rome in the Punic Wars but I was wondering if there is much information regarding their history. Also what kind of government it had, was it a kingdom with Tyrants or a Republic? Was it strictly Greek in Emporion or was it Iberian and Greek? Any other just general information would be amazing!

- Founded by Focean colonist (Asia minor greeks) in 575 BC. Their aim was commerce, it was not founded by demographic pressure.

- At first was an island (now is connected to the land), but later, by the population incrementation, was founded a inland town, mixing with the local natives (Indikans)

- By 535 BC, Focea was captured by persians, so a lot of refugees went to Massalia and Emporion, so the population was increased further.

- The local natives were primary resources productors, and the greeks were mainly traders.

- Was the biggest greek colony in Hispania, and was a strategic point in the trade route between Tartesos and Massalia.

- By the time of the Barcida dinasty of Carthago, the city had a economical crisis. Emporion asked for help to Rome, and the Ebro treaty was firmed (limiting the influence between Rome and Carthago in Hispania by the river of the same name). Later when the Second Punic War started, the city sided with Romans, where they disembark.

- The city had a inner wall separating the Iberians and the Greeks.

Didn't found nothing about their government

Reconstruction of the city