[NOT] Just Another UI

Shiyn

4 minutes ago, sphyrth said:

I didn't know that Battlefield 4 is an RTS. But putting that aside, I noticed that the city building games have their controls all bunched together into one single control panel, while the action-packed games have them scattered all throughout.

I wait for @Nescio reply but is the peace of these game, where you need quickly put your  attention in minimap and jump in the action. many of them competitive.

Nescio example is interesting both are Strategy genres (Citybuilders , turn based) the other RTS, but I add non-RTS. because are more competitive like Battlefield4 (FPShoteer) or the last, or Total War Arena, have component similar in Battlefield and other stressing competitive scenarios.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nescio said:

...I fondly remember put the mini-map at the top right...

We actually did try placing the minimap at the top right (and other places). It looked alright and didn't really get in the way of the selection rectangle (at least for right-handed users, it might be an issue for left-handed users though). However, it did obstruct the view. The bottom center panel we have now somewhat resembles an airplane cockpit with gauges which allows for a more open field of view. Not saying it's the best option, but it's surprisingly hard to get a consensus on a GUI layout. I wasn't thrilled with the bottom center panel at the time (preferred it on the left), but I've gotten used to it.

• Like 3

How hard would it be to allow the player to dynamically* place the main GUI elements where they wish? Probably a complete GUI rewrite, I fear?

*Maybe not 100% dynamic, but perhaps to provide many options for placement. Probably night and day between the two as far as coding.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

5 hours ago, WhiteTreePaladin said:

Not saying it's the best option, but it's surprisingly hard to get a consensus on a GUI layout.

Completely true, the GUI greatly affects everyone so a perfect solution might be impossible. I'm not even sure how I want it to be myself :) Nonetheless, if the GUI is to be redesigned, it does not hurt at to have a critical look at the position of the mini-map as well, even if it stays unchanged.

6 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I wait for @Nescio reply but is the peace of these game, where you need quickly put your  attention in minimap and jump in the action. many of them competitive.

To clarify, I'm not especially arguing for any specific mini-map position; I can see points against every option; but I do believe looking at the GUI of a wide number of games can be helpful.

Edited by Nescio
LK
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

I personnaly wouldn't mind having something like what @Shiyn proposed ^^ I think it looks gorgeous though it might be considered not historically accurate to depict the period.

I think the layout is key. Then the aesthetics can be built around that. It would be nice to assign aesthetics on a civ-by-civ basis. 

• Like 1

@Shiyn like others, I like your attempts at redesigning the gui, keep at it, I would say. A historically relevant themed gui for each civ would be insanely cool, and adds a lot to immersion and aesthetic civ-differentiation, but is probably a lot of work. 

One of the things I actually like about Empire Apart is that the circular map doesn't feel heavy or obstructive, because its corners are transparent. An "independent" map in the lower left corner would be my personal preference.

1866956225_guisuggestion.thumb.jpg.ffb28d77011f571bbff034ef9bc3b5cb.jpg

One of the annoying things (possibly the only annoyance) about a map in the lower left corner is that you often can't see enemy units approaching from that corner. With these transparent sides that wouldn't be an issue... You can also increase the map size somewhat, because its less obstructive, increasing functionality. 

Being able to click a button to expand the map to see a far more detailed/realistic map version would also be very very cool, but I guess that's not so simple...

That epic Mauryan fortress is pretty cool, by the way...

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, WhiteTreePaladin said:

With transparent corners, you do lose the four buttons around the minimap (idle villagers, etc.)

There would still be space to arrange a number of buttons around the minimap. 

It could be done in any number of ways without totally obscuring that corner. For example:

2076745797_guisuggestion2.thumb.jpg.6a2f964142470585e3567f25a4b78247.jpg

I'm not saying this is the best looking option, but more talented people can figure out the aesthetics. Just wanted to illustrate a map in the lower left corner that gives you much less of a sense of having a huge blind spot there (whilst increasing the map in size at the same time). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have worked on my layout concept. Here it is. The resolution of the 4/3 area is 1024/768. You can see that the whole bottom UI is a little bit smaller than the old one, so the corners are empty. You can also see that I haven't made that much changes at the bottom panel. A UI which supports lower and higher resolutions isn't that easy. I also try to get the panel a little bit more minimalistic. Maybe someone of you have an idea which buttons can be taken to the menu? I've also made two styles, one cornered and one curved style.
Focus was to get better ultra-widescreen support. The UI should stay to the middle and don't scaling with the wide.

143232180_0ADGUI_v8.thumb.jpg.bd0ff2de7de63a26a7ccabb1f3c61965.jpg

435104566_0ADGUI_v10.thumb.jpg.c8179439d49836563a7efa846eb695ff.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Aragorn30 said:

I tried to do some files to realise this gui, you can freely used them if you want :

Spoiler

cercle_final_gold.png.0eb01e771d6583bf40e42e342b910a32.pngcercle_final_silver.png.bc023ae37a83449e708e7c2210abd236.png2138965058_BARREFINALE.png.194e55471192e000587372e4d2cae66b.png

They are not as beautifull as those of Shiyn but it's better than Nothing.

parchemin_final.png

screenshot1611.jpg

I made my own bubble texture, but the brass ring texture is very nice. It overlaps the minimap a little bit, and I wish it would overlap the corner buttons. Is there a way to bring it to the front, @stanislas69 @elexis so that it overlaps the corner buttons, and also is there a way to shrink up the minimap a little so that it fits within the ring?

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

20 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Hey @Aragorn30 for that you'll have to sign the legal waiver :)

thy look good though keep up the good work

Thank you very much ! 

However, I can't say "I am the copyright holder of original works I post in the Wildfire Games 0 A.D. Art Development forum. I hereby release all original works I uploaded to this forum in the past, and those I will upload in the future, under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license." In fact, I realised the circle from this  picture : https://pixabay.com/fr/boussole-au-nord-sud-east-ouest-2925824/  and I use the form (and only the form) of this one : https://pixabay.com/fr/papier-parchemin-maple-plantes-2794719/ .

They are published under CC0 Creative COMMONS.That's why I said "you can freely used them". Can I continue to edit and publish from royalty-free images or is it incompatible with the 0ad license?

8 minutes ago, Aragorn30 said:

Thank you very much ! 

However, I can't say "I am the copyright holder of original works I post in the Wildfire Games 0 A.D. Art Development forum. I hereby release all original works I uploaded to this forum in the past, and those I will upload in the future, under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license." In fact, I realised the circle from this  picture : https://pixabay.com/fr/boussole-au-nord-sud-east-ouest-2925824/  and I use the form (and only the form) of this one : https://pixabay.com/fr/papier-parchemin-maple-plantes-2794719/ .

They are published under CC0 Creative COMMONS.That's why I said "you can freely used them". Can I continue to edit and publish from royalty-free images or is it incompatible with the 0ad license?

You can but when uploading something that might be used by the game alway quote the source, so we can credit the authors accordingly :) In case of CC0 it's fine.

If you make things yourself or using cc0 and you want them to be eventually committed to the game you'll have to sign the waiver.

21 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphone Maybe the order in the xml file ?

Changing the order in the XML file does reorder the elements in that panel, but unfortunately the corner buttons disappear. They're still "clickable" though. So, it's like the transparency for the minimap ring works, but still masks the buttons? It's confusing.