undefined discussion subject

1 minute ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

They erected stone walls around Sparta in the Archaic and Classical periods? 

Not in their homeland, no, they never did, but Spartan colonies had city walls, and the Spartans also repeatedly erected stone walls at Thermopylae and the Corinthian isthmus.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Not in their homeland, no, they never did, but Spartan colonies had city walls, and the Spartans also repeatedly erected stone walls at Thermopylae and the Corinthian isthmus.

Granting the Spartans stone walls in Empire Phase after Hellenistic Reforms is in keeping with the fortification efforts of Nabis, the last of the independent Spartan rulers. But yes indeed, it's my mod. lol The point is, if we were to take your view then why do the Athenians have the ability to build walls in neutral territory? Why add these anachronistic bits of flavor? Because it's a video game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The point is, if we were to take your view then why do the Athenians have the ability to build walls in neutral territory?

Actually I think everyone should be able to erect walls in neutral territory. It's a common tactic and well attested.

6 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Because it's a video game.

Completely true. Personally I value historical accuracy, but I have no intention to impose my views on others. Please improve your mod in a way you think it'll be most enjoyable.

• Like 2

Yet another example of Greek influence (or bias?) on our modern culture: http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20180521-the-100-stories-that-shaped-the-world

The Odyssey is ranked #1, the Iliad #10. Other classical Greek entries are #29, #31, #49, #51, #70. Interestingly only one Latin work made it into the top 100: Ovid's Metamorphoses, #80.

(Personally I greatly dislike polls and other popularity contests.)

• Like 1

Crimea_02-1068x600.jpgCrimea_01-1068x600.jpg

Ancient Corinthian Helmet Found in Southwest Rusia

When a warrior died, his helmets would be buried next to him. According to Roman Mimohod, director of the expedition of the Institute of Archaeology of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IA RAS), “the helmet of the Taman peninsula belongs to the Corinthian Hermione-type and would date back to the first quarter of the fifth century BC,” an Archaeology News Network report says.

For two years now, Russian archaeologists study a necropolis of 600 burial mounds where many Greek warriors of the Bosporus kingdom are buried. Several Greek colonies were established in the region. Their settlement extends from the end of the 7th century BC until the second quarter of the 4th century BC.

The Greeks founded large cities on the northern coast of the Black Sea. The main ones were Olbia, at the mouth of the Dnieper; Panticapaion, today’s Kerch, in the extreme west of the Crimea, and Chersonese (Sevastopol); on the Russian bank, one found Phanagoria (Taman), also the name given to the peninsula on which the Corinthian helmet was discovered.

According to the Archaeology News Network report, the Kingdom of the Bosporus was created in 480 BC around the Kerch Strait and the Taman Peninsula, west of the Bosporus.

The kingdom, with Panticapaion as its capital, lasted almost a millennium, the last written traces going back to the 5th century AD. It was a place where the Greek culture merged with the successive nomadic cultures of the steppe, be it the Scythians or the Sarmatians. Between the 6th and 3rd centuries BC, Greeks and Scythians maintained extremely close cultural as well as commercial ties.

http://eu.greekreporter.com/2018/05/27/ancient-corinthian-helmet-found-in-southwest-russia/

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

Serbian archaeologists find sarcophagus with two skeletons and jewellery in ancient city

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-serbia-archeology/serbian-archaeologists-find-sarcophagus-with-two-skeletons-and-jewellery-in-ancient-city-idUSKCN1IW1JB?feedType=RSS&feedName=scienceNews

image.thumb.png.a70bd5ef428c31f91bb89fba207d8f87.png

The Viminacium site, near the town of Kostolac, around 70 km east of Belgrade, was a military camp and the capital of the Roman province of Moesia Superior, dating back to the 1st century AD. It had a hippodrome, fortifications, a forum, palace, temples, amphitheatre, aqueducts, baths and workshops.

According to historians, it could have been the home to some 40,000 people. So far, only about 4 percent of it has been explored, said Miomir Korac, the director of the site.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I post here since I do not know elsewhere to do it. Are you guys interested to open a thread with bibliography and references about ancient history? Like did EB in their forum. If you are interested in it, I can open a thread in the General Discussion section and keep it updated with the proposals of the other members. Trying to make it properly classified and readable.

• Like 3