Blender AddOns, Materials & Tutorials.

15 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

Im gonna see if i can clean more from unused nodes the material and leave it simplified for better workspace.

I have an issue with those scratches though, it is unlikely a sword would make such mark, let alone a spear or an axe. I guess what would usually happen is the leather would be in the wood but not likely torn that way, especially since the leather should be quite thick. The leather looks very good now though.

3 hours ago, Stan` said:

@Alexandermb Do you think it's convincing ?

Maybe more lower, and random shape instea a Cube, Try use Subsurf and displacement on the cube to give a random shape .

3 hours ago, Stan` said:

I have an issue with those scratches though, it is unlikely a sword would make such mark, let alone a spear or an axe. I guess what would usually happen is the leather would be in the wood but not likely torn that way, especially since the leather should be quite thick. The leather looks very good now though.

We already have something like that on the game, plus have you seen History Channel "Forged in Fire"? they make swords and that stuff and they do cuts in ice, wood, meat, leather etc. The blades cut almost everything when they are excelent quality, im pretty sure the leather wouldn't be thick enough to not scratch or show the wood since is just a fine leather cape (following the video i've seen about scutum assembly). the leather is mostly decorative and not protective, the protection comes from the layers of wood placed above each other.

Spoiler

escudos-romanos-de-dura-europos-siglo-iii.pngejercito-romano-al-final-de-la-republica.pngscutum-60.jpg

Have you seen the scutum topic latest change btw?

Spoiler

Some of the ones i've baked last night:

Spoiler

scutum_15.pngscutum_14.pngscutum_13.pngscutum_12.pngscutum_16.png

11 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Maybe more lower, and random shape instea a Cube, Try use Subsurf and displacement on the cube to give a random shape .

Not a cube :) (I just followed the tut) You can just replace objects by other stuff to make the scene faster and to see what you are doing

screen.pngscreen1.png

14 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

We already have something like that on the game, plus have you seen History Channel "Forged in Fire"? they make swords and that stuff and they do cuts in ice, wood, meat, leather etc. The blades cut almost everything when they are excelent quality, im pretty sure the leather wouldn't be thick enough to not scratch or show the wood since is just a fine leather cape (following the video i've seen about scutum assembly). the leather is mostly decorative and not protective, the protection comes from the layers of wood placed above each other.

I don't think the metal at that time was such of that quality :) What I meant is 1) cuts are really thick and 2) the wood is undamaged below :)

15 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Have you seen the scutum topic latest change btw?

Aren't those the same shields ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I don't think the metal at that time was such of that quality :) What I meant is 1) cuts are really thick and 2) the wood is undamaged below :)

Aren't those the same shields ?

A sword would cut no matter what, and isn't the metal but the strenght applied, even if the sword breaks it would still cut the light leather cape. And yeah, the wood is undamaged but that goes beyond my knowledge to apply it and its unlikely i would add other weird stuff so i don't break the material again :LOL: it was quite hard to find finally an alpha channel direct bake from blender whitout modifying with a 3rd tool.

1 minute ago, Alexandermb said:

A sword would cut no matter what

Not if it's blunt or bends easily ^^ I don't know about roman swords, but I believe not all the celtic swords were of the best quality. @Genava55

4 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

but that goes beyond my knowledge to apply it and its unlikely i would add other weird stuff so i don't break the material again :LOL: it was quite hard to find finally an alpha channel direct bake from blender whitout modifying with a 3rd tool.

Alright ^^ If you managed to add an alpha channel you might be able to make it less transparent ?

3 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Not if it's blunt or bends easily ^^ I don't know about roman swords, but I believe not all the celtic swords were of the best quality.

Steel quality is indeed lower in the beginning of the Roman Era than during Medieval Times. Even for the Romans. For Celtic swords, there were very poor to very good examples but poor and very poor steel was the most common. Damages to the shield are possible but I would be skeptical about damages distributed over the entire shield. Actually shield use in fighting should have been much more active (not only for the Vikings, but for Celts and Iberians). I don't think fighting would have consisted to blindly smash the opposing shield.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

Steel quality is indeed lower in the beginning of the Roman Era than during Medieval Times. Even for the Romans. For Celtic swords, there were very poor to very good examples but poor and very poor steel was the most common. Damages to the shield are possible but I would be skeptical about damages distributed over the entire shield. Actually shield use in fighting should have been much more active (not only for the Vikings, but for Celts and Iberians). I don't think fighting would have consisted to blindly smash the opposing shield.

i will apply layers to the shield, starting with a fully healthy shield, then while the infantry loose health it will change texture to a 35%-50 damaged then to a 75% while figthing, so the shield wouldn't gonna be only a "fully damaged shield"

• Like 1

TBH i wish i had applied this material before to the celtic shields and the aspis without wood on aspis obviously. But i just learned that this days.

This have a less plain look compared to the celtic shields and the ground dirt really helps to sell the effect.

I want to achieve a slider in the nodes wich deletes the scratches one by one so i can manipulate the amount of slashes.

Using this https://www.creativebloq.com/control-how-objects-shatter-blender-26-8134076

We might be able to create chunks of the model.

So process to generate destruction variant would be as follow.

Import the mesh using my importer 

Duplicate the main mesh 

On the first duplicate do the boolean thing . then add a solidify modifier and an edge split. you might want to control what vertex are gonna be solidified as to not induce too many polygons

On the second mesh do the converse. Create another object a cube for instance and substract the boolean then use the new object to only keep the parts of the mesh that were removed by the boolean on the first model. Then apply solidify

Now using the cell breaking stuff split the second models into pieces. You can then place them randomly over the place. I guess you could also split every single piece and let them fall using gravity.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...