Blender AddOns, Materials & Tutorials.

2 hours ago, Stan` said:

Can you try to add dirt to the creases ? 

I think the ridge does not help

That would be great to have, but remember everyting will be replaced with player color, so the dirt on creases won't be seen at all.

This is a plain red whitout player color for testing and still need to bake the new normal map for the 2nd variant with rim and add specularity.

17 minutes ago, Stan` said:

They will be darker no ? :)

Probably, but in a such small view wich gonna be unnoticeable from the distance probably even getting closer.

What we could use is another layer Above the player color after the whole baking is done. Having this only the dirt and the rest as alpha channel but for this for properly be seen after a re-scale i guess would be needed at least 2048x1024 texture resolution.

Right now is 512x256 for testing but after the whole material is done i will have to bake a 1024x512 diffuse and normal map. And see how its going so far in 512x256 normal map:

Spoiler

image.png

1k could take 40 minutes, 2k around 2 hours.

is a little tricky to get what you mention but i belive theres one way in the nodes to get that, thought its hard to control or at least for me when the preview is slow.

3 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Do you have a ref for this shield btw

one from Total War Rome 2 Modder, but also trying to re-do the ones already in game. And some youtube videos i've looking from "kings and generals" channel where it explains the scutum is some wood planks overlapped with a front leather cape all together joined by a metal rim.

References:

Spoiler

UlaO4bH.jpgescudos-romanos-de-dura-europos-siglo-iii.pngscutum-60.jpg

Applying what i have learned so far with wood shader random mapping:

Spoiler

image.png

with 4 or 6 variants for the base texture is okay i think.

Later comes the design's and final touchs.

ingame the soldiers promote getting experience, the experience is acquired by combat, in combat your shield got damaged.

Advancing through rank should show damaged gear and let polished and relic equipment for champions probably.

Wich is also ingame for basic version wich is mainly the objective of the damaged variant:

Spoiler

image.png

Not all of them gonna have damaged zones showing the wood neither.

Im not sure about others opinion but damage, dust, rust, blood, scars, scratches, blunts  would show the hard life and all the soldier had to go through in battle to get his rank.

OR also the damaged would work using "health" variant in the actor, Since this has less designs and probably gonna have less textures than the celtic shields.

5 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

Advancing through rank should show damaged gear and let polished and relic equipment for champions probably.

Advancing in rank needs to show fancier gear, ie gear the soldier will take great pains in order to keep in fighting order and prestige. But okay dude. You're the artist and you'll do it whatever way you want to anyway.

46 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Advancing in rank needs to show fancier gear, ie gear the soldier will take great pains in order to keep in fighting order and prestige.

2 hours ago, Stan` said:

@Alexandermb Maybe you could try to use the same technique than for buildings by damaging the shield depending on health ? Wouldn't that make more sense ? :)

1524602335_Fingerpointingup.jpg.1b3944b2ea547292f945479f1f9223ea.jpg

8 hours ago, Stan` said:

@Alexandermb Maybe you could try to use the same technique than for buildings by damaging the shield depending on health ? Wouldn't that make more sense ? :)

Yep, thats what i meant in the last line, this will have less variants compared to celt shields so it won't hurt having it for the romans.

Also last night i left baking this one, with smaller scratches version.

Spoiler

scutum_07.png

@Stan` wouldn't this work for making destroyed buildings?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I'm not sure one would have to try :) But it sounds promissing. We need matching rubble though. Maybe a destroyed building with the standard rubble would work though. I guess the issue is that unlike his building ours don't have inner geometry...

inner geometry would be solidify, and that would be the rubble like CC rubble destructed but instead of going sink we leave the walls damaged.