Blender AddOns, Materials & Tutorials.

5 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Cool how you still produce excellent stuff. I'm also using a HD4000 :)

Imagine how it would be having a GPU. I would experiment further if the preview was as fast as tutorials, they can previsualize every micro change in seconds while for me it takes minutes.

Also baking the texture in 2k or 4k size gives even better results when resizing and a sharper look but that as other things require a proper GPU, at least a GTX 1000+.

Cool that you have also  a HD4000, maybe i can post a blender file just to press bake or F12 for Screen render like enrique's did in his tutorial for scales or wood if you want to experiment changing colors, scales, shapes etc.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

So i've spent most of the day doing this (because my pc is crappy and don't have gpu but just an Intel HD4000 and every render is 30 mins long and preview is 30 seconds per frame): 

Hide contents

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Experimenting with my base material for helmets and ships, plus another tutorial i've watched + everything i've learned so far. 

A fully zipped material into this:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

And this is how it looks inside:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

A WHOLE DAY FOR A SINGLE BARREL! Yes, thats how much it takes for my pc to experiment with materials.

you made me remember when i made the planet earth in blender(Yes i follow the tutorial of Andrew).
My graphics driver crash.

18 minutes ago, Trinketos said:

you made me remember when i made the planet earth in blender(Yes i follow the tutorial of Andrew).
My graphics driver crash.

Carefull with that, you can burn your video chipset and leave your motherboard useless (happend to my aunt pc's).

Blend file of barrel: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L6GmEOG-HiuV_NE76ngIkrKT7YB3_h4P

Editing normal map reducing opacity for have an inversed height in the cover:

Spoiler

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I'm not sure what do you think ?

i don't know, it clearly has more details because i used all the 512x512 texture space for the barrel UV, otherwise i would had to bake in 8k texture to have a proper texture.

but we have pros and con of having it for buildings as props:

Props: instead of 3 barrels per each visible barrel we will only need 1 and use minheight - maxheight in the prop point.

Cons: Draw calls.

512x512 is big though.I don't know what size the current barrels use. but given the texel density, I'd say half might be a reasonable amount ? (High res can go in the art repo)

I was all for propping, but I'm still pondering whether it was a mistake (Still sounds very convenient to be able to update all buildings props at once) I believe the new barrel I made had three variants, open, closed, and with the lid on the side, dunno how reusable that is.

Back on topic it might be wasteful to have it in the game but not use it, but I'm not sure having it here/in the art repo is better for posterity...

Just now, Stan` said:

512x512 is big though.I don't know what size the current barrels use. but given the texel density, I'd say half might be a reasonable amount ? (High res can go in the art repo)

I was all for propping, but I'm still pondering whether it was a mistake (Still sounds very convenient to be able to update all buildings props at once) I believe the new barrel I made had three variants, open, closed, and with the lid on the side, dunno how reusable that is.

Back on topic it might be wasteful to have it in the game but not use it, but I'm not sure having it here/in the art repo is better for posterity...

The mesh is intact, only i would have to adjust the UV. The 512 is the initial bake or the pixels will be scatered all around the edges of the different colors but i do agree the texture should be 256x256.

My point was replace the barrel wich is already replaced in the mod file, but this barrel is only used in Atlas or in escenarios with treasure barrels.

1 minute ago, Alexandermb said:

My point was replace the barrel wich is already replaced in the mod file, but this barrel is only used in Atlas or in escenarios with treasure barrels.

Yeah I got that. If you replace my barrel it will also replace all those of the upgraded civ structures ^^ So it's up to you. The new one look nice.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Stan` said:

I guess you need to add some dropshadow so we can see the leather thickness, maybe a little more bumps for rough leather. Keep it up !

Thats the idea, but haven't reached yet adding shadow to the leather creases but this is how it looks with bump:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.png

And ingame;

Spoiler

image.png

Using displacement:

Spoiler

image.png

Last one using displacement is looking good.