Gameplay features A24

Lion.Kanzen

Why don't start  adding features to avoid that horribly title "AoE Clone" but at last that title now is for Empires Apart.

• Secondary attack.
  • Dock give some territorial bonus
  • New building that's no depend of territory but can be easily to rush.
  • Minifaction design or layout
  • Capture units
  • More variety and counters
  • Mercenary system.
  • Slave system
  • New minimap features
  • Diplomacy features like trade units between players.
  • New relic types
  • More nomad styles like scattered unit over the map.
  • More mission maps
  • Add objectives 
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 05/04/2018 at 8:34 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:
  • Secondary attack.
  • Minifaction design or layout
  • More variety and counters
  • Mercenary system.
  • Slave system
  • New minimap features
  • Diplomacy features like trade units between players.
  • New relic types

Yes please :) 

My additions to those would be:

- Battalions 

- Villagers

- Visual differentiation between phases: simple village house  → townhouse  → city house, same thing for Civic Center: vilage center  → town center  → city center

- Individually upgrade CC's. So you could end up with 1 city phase territory, and a couple of villages or towns on the periphery. This would make properly defending your "capital" more   important. 

- Map-tiles should have "properties" which determine if you can farm there (fertility). Then desert tiles would be barren (non-farmable), while areas close to water/good soil would be fertile. Maybe a fertility gradient? Perhaps an overlay could help identify arable land, as well as clearly show the location of all other resources.

- No more farming at the CC... Please... Just build a farmhouse already... A town center should be town center and not a farm/fields/plantation.

- Storehouse split into "lumber camp" and "mines". Mines are placed on specific slots in the mining area.

- Mining: 1) "Alluvial deposits": mined just like they are now, are close to your beginning CC-area and deplete easily. 2) "shaft mining": always done in rocky/hilly/mountainous areas. away from the beginning CC, and don't deplete easily. 

- The introduction of "coin", acquired through: trade, gold/silver-mining and a dedicated economic structure, specific per civ (like plantations/cash-crops or royal workshops). Coin would be used in trade, paying mercenaries, certain technologies, even building certain structures like the wonder or special buildings.

- The introduction of "brick" as the third logical building resource. Helps add a lot of necessary nuance to building costs. Brick and wood for common structures. Stone and wood for temples, castles etc. Some structures cost brick, stone and wood (CC). Bricks are produced from a brick-maker, placed at a clay-pit. Gauls, Britons and Iberians would have a wattle and daub maker instead, likewise placed at a clay pit. (Clay pits don't deplete quickly, akin to farming/deminishing returns from a pit over time) 

19 hours ago, Trinketos said:

add african tribes xD.

@elexis So does Fields of Meroë have some Nuba merc camps as gaia villages (huts and nuba tribesmen), on the opposite bank of the river? I didn't see any in the latest screenshot... Some Nuba merc camps could be added to other Sub-Saharan biomes as gaia as well...

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sundiata said:

So does Fields of Meroë have some Nuba merc camps as gaia villages (huts and nuba tribesmen), on the opposite bank of the river? I didn't see any in the latest screenshot... Some Nuba merc camps could be added to other Sub-Saharan biomes as gaia as well...

Fields of Meroë does not have Nuba merc camps. But it does have some minimalistic gaia villages that are spawned randomly on the map.

Just now, (-_-) said:

Fields of Meroë does not have Nuba merc camps. But it does have some minimalistic gaia villages that are spawned randomly on the map.

Yeah, I noticed those, they're cool :) 

Gaia Nuba merc camps and tribesmen on the west bank of the Nile would be appropriate and pretty cool as well :rolleyes: 

7 hours ago, Sundiata said:

Individually upgrade CC's. So you could end up with 1 city phase territory, and a couple of villages or towns on the periphery. This would make properly defending your "capital" more   important.

Yes, please! This would also allow phasing out phases :)

If I recall correctly, something like the following was present in Rise of Nations. Settlements started out as a town and have both a (large) territory radius and a (smaller) city radius. Markets and civic structures could only be build within the city radius, whereas defensive, military, and gathering structures could be placed anywhere in your territory. Once a certain number of different structures (e.g. 5) was present within the inner radius, an individual town would automatically upgrade to a city, which has increased health, attack, territory influence, and a larger city radius. When the number of different structures within a city radius was doubled (e.g. 10), the city was automatically improved to a metropolis, again with increased health, attack, territory influence, and a larger settlement radius.

Furthermore, some structures also affected city stats, e.g. temple increases capture points by 50%. Also, there were many wonders, each with different bonuses, but they were civilization-independent; each wonder could be constructed only once per map/campaign.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sundiata said:

Yes please :) 

My additions to those would be:

- Battalions 

- Villagers

- Visual differentiation between phases: simple village house  → townhouse  → city house, same thing for Civic Center: vilage center  → town center  → city center

- Individually upgrade CC's. So you could end up with 1 city phase territory, and a couple of villages or towns on the periphery. This would make properly defending your "capital" more   important. 

- Map-tiles should have "properties" which determine if you can farm there (fertility). Then desert tiles would be barren (non-farmable), while areas close to water/good soil would be fertile. Maybe a fertility gradient? Perhaps an overlay could help identify arable land, as well as clearly show the location of all other resources.

- No more farming at the CC... Please... Just build a farmhouse already... A town center should be town center and not a farm/fields/plantation.

- Storehouse split into "lumber camp" and "mines". Mines are placed on specific slots in the mining area.

- The introduction of "coin", acquired through: trade, gold/silver-mining and a dedicated economic structure, specific per civ (like plantations/cash-crops or royal workshops). Coin would be used in trade, paying mercenaries, certain technologies, even building certain structures like the wonder or special buildings.

- The introduction of "brick" as the third logical building resource. Helps add a lot of necessary nuance to building costs. Brick and wood for common structures. Stone and wood for temples, castles etc. Some structures cost brick, stone and wood (CC). Bricks are produced from a brick-maker, placed at a clay-pit. Gauls, Britons and Iberians would have a wattle and daub maker instead, likewise placed at a clay pit. (Clay pits don't deplete quickly, akin to farming/deminishing returns from a pit over time) 

Yes please 0 Ad left behind long time ago AoE, i never get bored of 0 AD but i do from AoE 2 (and thats the best of the serie). 

• +1
  • +1
  • Some civ structures have two floors it could be a start having a first floor and develop the 2nd floor at the town phase and all kind of rich decoration in the city phase. For houses i can only imagine the structure construction materials for wood buildings and for empires like persia size and numbers of floors.
  • +1
  • +1 Black and White 2 have this feature, the terrain shows green/yellow/red colour when placing a farm that shows the fertil zone for better farming.
  • +1
  • Maybe but it will be better if mines are divided into caves/deposit's instead of rocks scattered around the map, and better specific zones for mining unable to build a proper economic city (farming land).
  • More resources more complexity even better, i didn't have any complain with the high number of resources of Empire Earth series even when some resources become useless in advanced era (literally useless).
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I think this take more than a year.

Depends on the effort, the ideas are on the table. Using formation component could work by making the batallion a formation entity and making the selection function of the game when you double click 1 class of unit works for the formation, but instead of selecting 1 unit in a formation you select the whole group by just 1 click, the auras of DE wow's made for close enough soldiers works too, and for the banner as said in the injured animations topic i could make a guy holding a banner as a formation animation. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alexandermb said:

0 Ad left behind long time ago AoE, i never get bored of 0 AD but i do from AoE 2

Exactly... I know I'm a dreamer, but,

A lot of these weird RTS conventions are inherited from a time of certain technical limitations of the PC's of the 90's, that don't necessarily apply anymore anno 2018. Taking inspiration from other genres, isn't only possible, I believe its desirable.

Just a little bit more city-building, a dash of economy management and a sprinkling of battle simulator... Mmmm...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Exactly... I know I'm a dreamer, but,

A lot of these weird RTS conventions are inherited from a time of certain technical limitations of the PC's of the 90's, that don't necessarily apply anymore anno 2018. Taking inspiration from other genres, isn't only possible, I believe its desirable.

Just a little bit more city-building, a dash of economy management and a sprinkling of battle simulator... Mmmm...

Something i never seen before is a mix of genre between "Civ City Rome" or "Imperium Civitas" and "Warcraft" and i'm not saying factions or fantasy but the gameplay, a whole economic city building game with full combat unit command features, always the economic city builder game has an auto AI wich you only click a button and they go and attack the enemy alone and you can't target who to attack, or they are like Grand Ages Medieval if you have a big city you only have a few selection for build and a tab of buildings to "auto build" and the armies are a huge batallion but they aren't a batallion you made, they are already pre designed so whats the fun to the pc to play for you? the principal idea of a batallion economic city building game is to recruit unit per unit and if you desire to make a batallion you take a lot of units of them 15+ and make a batallion for better defense (Maybe moral?) and if you don't wanna use it anymore you can only desband by dropping the formation and done.

Other gameplay feature i could imagine is that every faction start with a basic infantry "levy" unit lets take for an example the Spartan faction, you start with a guy with basic clothes and sandals with only a sword as weapon, then after you build barracks you could decide if you want to upgrade the unit into Hoplite or to Better rank swordsman, perfect then you have a Hoplite. If the Hoplite has enough rank/experience and your city has a blacksmith then you can upgrade the Hoplite into Champion Hoplite (Or their respective champion spearman) and if you build a archery range you can upgrade the levy into Javelinist or any ranged related infantry, and the same goes for Stable units.

Edited by Alexandermb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Stronghold series have mixed mechanic between Citybuilder and RTS.

And a very limited choices to make of faction, infantry desing and variety and don't have citizen soldiers. i played Stronghold 2, i'm someone who likes to play alone agains't IA and you have a whole map for you and the enemy spawns in a corner attacking sometimes.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

And a very limited choices to make of faction, infantry desing and variety and don't have citizen soldiers. i played Stronghold 2, i'm someone who likes to play alone agains't IA and you have a whole map for you and the enemy spawns in a corner attacking sometimes.

The interesting is the possibilities to siege warfare, destroy enemy economy, mercenaries, sandbox. alternative manning for RTS.

Can be nice add citybuilder like Grand Ages : Rome (buy slaves) , power up economy with water supply or expand the territory with that... 

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

4 hours ago, LordGood said:

*Distant american screeching*

Lol. many years ago Feneur said no to the new buildings set.

I can imagine lordgood.

200.gif

18 hours ago, Sundiata said:

I think is possibly only modding  textures  and props

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

9 hours ago, LordGood said:

*Distant american screeching*

*Even more distant African chuckles* 

Just now, stanislas69 said:

I hear you brother :/

Sorry bros, lol... 

I always feel a bit bad about posting architecture/building-set suggestions... Of course I never expect you to do all the work, but I'm aware that in reality, if the idea is liked/accepted (by you :P), like 90 to 100% of the work would fall on you... 

So I'd like to emphasize that I'm just someone who likes to brainstorm and fantasize about the perfect RTS. So I just put my ideas and opinions out there... It's up to you and the greater community to see if it's actually feasible/desirable.  

I'd also like to emphasize that the "only" structures that would need to "evolve" from phase to phase are houses and the CC (other structures are already tied to later phases anyway). It would be more than enough to generate that feeling of evolving from village to city. The subconscious feeling would a greater sense of emotional attachment to your settlements (because you saw them grow/evolve/mature).

As Lion said, some if it can be done like:

4 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I think is possibly only modding  textures  and props

Although the standard Carthaginian houses evolving in to those pretty apartments is ideal in my opinion.

Another thing is that, if it's not tied to individually upgrading CC's, it would have awkward effects... Like, if you reach city-phase, and all CC's upgrade simultaneously, you could end up with a highly ornate CC, and a pretty city apartment next to some fields in the middle of nowhere, which would also break immersion...

I think individually upgrading CC's, and visual differentiation between phases go hand in hand, and would make 0AD even more awesome... 

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of not yet done/finished civilizations that can benefit from your knowledge. If we could have stuff like what you did for the Kushites to some other civs that would be awesome. I don't know like the koreans since you seemed to be interested in that :)

I would try to be realistic for my features request list:

Campaign mode (almost finished, if I'm right)
Trigger interface in Atlas studio
Finishing differentiation buildings between Athenians and Macedonia
Differentiation between Gauls and Britons units.
Finishing Seleucid and Ptolemies units (almost finished)
Minor improvements and optimizations.

Bonus:
Integrate Xiognu and Chinese to the main distribution :)

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, av93 said:

Campaign mode (almost finished, if I'm right)

The mode yes, the campaigns themselves are not started though some people have started thinking about them.

59 minutes ago, av93 said:

Bonus:
Integrate Xiognu and Chinese to the main distribution

That's unlikely to happen for now :)

A23 has not been released yet and we're already discussing A24?

A few things I'd like to see eventually:

• make adding, renaming, or removing damage types as easy as changing resources; hack/pierce/crush is currently hard-coded; if one were to make a fantasy mod, he'd probably want to have different damage types, e.g. fire, ice, lightning, poison, etc.
  • add an option to switch to a simplified mini-map, hiding the terrain background, displaying only actors
  • display resource gatherer counts ( https://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/643 )
  • replace Petra's hardcoded structure template paths with classes or something else template-independent
  • set random maps as the default map type, instead of skirmishes
2 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

That's unlikely to happen for now :)

Why not? They did peak in the 200-1 B.C. timeframe, interacted with other Eurasian empires (Parthians, Romans), and were possibly the most important states to exist at the time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of not yet done/finished civilizations that can benefit from your knowledge. If we could have stuff like what you did for the Kushites to some other civs that would be awesome. I don't know like the koreans since you seemed to be interested in that :)

Well, thanks for the compliment :) 

Gojoseon will be difficult... Really difficult I think. Later Korea would offer a lot more reference material to work with, but as far as historical accuracy goes, I think Gojoseon can only be represented as a (really interesting) mini-civ. Japan is more interesting, but the Yayoi don't have horses or strong navy :( 

If the timeframe were to be extended to the sack of Rome (410 AD), for example, we could include references from early Kofun period for the Japanese (horses and ships), and post-Gojoseon (Han Chinese influence) for the Koreans, as well as depict more of the Han. 

For the main distribution, Scythians and Thracians are probably the most important left-out civs for now. Inclusion of Han and Xiongnu would be sublime... Although we need to get the Yuezhi to link the Eurasian steppe together. Yuezhi are as simple as turning the Xiongnu into white people, with some Tocharian flavour. By the way, Xiongnu can serve as a raw template for Scythians as well. And minicivs :) 

• Like 1