Gameplay features A24

Lion.Kanzen

1 hour ago, franzliszzt said:

Add more types of resources please, like the old '99 Pharaoh

From Sierra?? One of my all time favourites!!! I actually downloaded and played it again recently just for the sake of it. I'm still amazed at the complexity, yet fluidity of the economy in that game. Everything made perfect sense (sort of). It was amazing... Industry, processing raw materials, production, supply and demand, transport, long distance trade, social stratification, even some military, it was all there.... You could reach a population of c. 20.000! It was grande! Of course that was a city-builder... But to be honest, I would love to have that style of economy in 0AD. Like 40 different resources, and you actually manage production, instead of microing individuals all the time... You'd just build an economic building, and available workers automatically take up the job. Leave the micro-stuff for military units/warfare... Would be a golden opportunity to work on the civilian aspect of the game... "Bring cities to life". It would also radically change gameplay, which would make it difficult to convince people of taking such a bold step. Also, I don't think there's enough people here that could do make that happen, even if they wanted to :unsure:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I know was joking. :) I made a few posts about bridges that you can find on the forums.

IMHO bridges position should be map specific so they can be properly adjusted. So basically world neutral foundations like the empty civ centers in aoe games. Also once built they should be indestructible and neutral. One could then research a sabotage technology that allows one unit to destroy them see the settlers 5 expansion 1 (nebelreich) system.

Building bridges like walls would be awfull to me. On the art side and on the code side.

Also note that we didn't add a swimming passability class because of performance so a bridge one seems unlikely.

Notice that being able to put buildings on specific foundations could be a very nice addition to implement mines ;) you could have specific mountain spots where you can build mines :)

• Like 4

What if we add a second-rate healing ability to female citizens? Maybe a technology that can be researched at houses to unlock this ability.

This healing ability will function like a "tend to the wounded" ability, where female citizens can patch up wounded citizen-soldiers (this will need a new animation) at a slower rate compared to regular healers, maybe like 1hp per second. This could also work like how camp followers function during battles, where fighting men are taken care of by the non-combatants after and before a battle. We could also add an AoE battle performance reduction aura to female citizens so that when fighting nearby friendly units, citizen soldiers will perform worst (because friendly non combatants in the battle area are added liability to the fighters)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

What if we add a second-rate healing ability to female citizens? Maybe a technology that can be researched at houses to unlock this ability.

This healing ability will function like a "tend to the wounded" ability, where female citizens can patch up wounded citizen-soldiers (this will need a new animation) at a slower rate compared to regular healers, maybe like 1hp per second. This could also work like how camp followers function during battles, where fighting men are taken care of by the non-combatants after and before a battle. We could also add an AoE battle performance reduction aura to female citizens so that when fighting nearby friendly units, citizen soldiers will perform worst (because friendly non combatants in the battle area are added liability to the fighters)

With a technology as you said but slowly  rate.

9 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

I know was joking. :) I made a few posts about bridges that you can find on the forums.

IMHO bridges position should be map specific so they can be properly adjusted. So basically world neutral foundations like the empty civ centers in aoe games. Also once built they should be indestructible and neutral. One could then research a sabotage technology that allows one unit to destroy them see the settlers 5 expansion 1 (nebelreich) system.

Building bridges like walls would be awfull to me. On the art side and on the code side.

Also note that we didn't add a swimming passability class because of performance so a bridge one seems unlikely.

Notice that being able to put buildings on specific foundations could be a very nice addition to implement mines ;) you could have specific mountain spots where you can build mines :)

In the pre-aphas you can build the cc in a settlement

2 hours ago, Trinketos said:

In the pre-aphas you can build the cc in a settlement

I think that there was only the actor of the foundations, but there was not a socket building system, at least in the first alphas. (Maybe i.m wrong)

• Like 1

It is in that design document on the wiki. I dont think it ever was implemented though. All the work done on it was the proof-of-concept empty settlement files in simulation(2)/components/ added in r7547.

Could be wrong though.

1 hour ago, (-_-) said:

It is in that design document on the wiki. I dont think it ever was implemented though. All the work done on it was the proof-of-concept empty settlement files in simulation(2)/components/ added in r7547.

Could be wrong though.

With the "capturing" mechanic implemented, it would be just as interesting to simply place unclaimed CCs around the map to capture. See: Miletus Peninsula skirmish in DE.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I wouldn't mind a "Classic" game mode that allows unlimited building. Though, I'd like the "Empires Ascendant" mode to be default/rated.

Was thinking the same :)

31 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

With the "capturing" mechanic implemented, it would be just as interesting to simply place unclaimed CCs around the map to capture. See: Miletus Peninsula skirmish in DE.

Could work pretty well for nomad mode. Now having the ability to build buildings on very specific sites would be great bridges or no bridges implemented

You could make a bridge entity that can be built and garrisoned over water on specific sites. Even draw bridges :)

• Like 3