Gameplay features A24

Lion.Kanzen

Trample damage would be nice. That the cavallerie  could run over the enemie infantrie. Like lotr the battle for middle earth (e.g.  Youtube link 8:41). At the moment the cavallerie are they only could attack the border of the enemies formation. There could be trample damage for every kind of cavalerie and elephants.

The spearmen should also get a bigger counter bonus against cavallerie.

On 4/24/2018 at 4:09 PM, OptimusShepard said:

Trample damage would be nice. That the cavallerie  could run over the enemie infantrie. Like lotr the battle for middle earth (e.g.  Youtube link 8:41). At the moment the cavallerie are they only could attack the border of the enemies formation. There could be trample damage for every kind of cavalerie and elephants.

The spearmen should also get a bigger counter bonus against cavallerie.

Its  planned.

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameplayFeatureStatus

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Hey all,

I recently discovered this game last week when browsing YouTube. I was very impressed with the overall mission of the game and the fact that it's open-sourced, community-based, and free to play. Just wanted to give my two cents regarding my experiences thus far.

The good things: I love the time period the game takes place in as well as the historical accuracy. The attention to detail down to the artwork and translations is amazing. I also like the uniqueness of military units that perform economic tasks as I have not seen this in previous RTS games. I also enjoy the scaling (e.g the size of the triremes relative to the infantry) and the attack animations (zooming in on phalanx is awesome).

Things to improve: Obviously this is a work in progress and there's still much room to improve. The one thing that irritates me so far is the way the units move; it seems choppy and unnaturally fast, especially the cavalry. The animation during their movement also appears unnatural; they look more like insects scuttling over the map than galloping horses (watch AOE 2 cavalry running for a comparison). I have read the planned change logs and know that trampling will be worked on in the future, but I hope they also improve the unit speed and animations. A central lobby for multiplayer will obviously be a huge addition as well.

The only shame with such a community base is there are relatively few people working on it and I know any changes take time. Anyway, really love the work so far. I know that the next release is supposed to happen too as well as a mod service and look forward to the upgrades and improvements.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, l2edVipel2 said:

Hey all,

I recently discovered this game last week when browsing YouTube. I was very impressed with the overall mission of the game and the fact that it's open-sourced, community-based, and free to play. Just wanted to give my two cents regarding my experiences thus far.

The good things: I love the time period the game takes place in as well as the historical accuracy. The attention to detail down to the artwork and translations is amazing. I also like the uniqueness of military units that perform economic tasks as I have not seen this in previous RTS games. I also enjoy the scaling (e.g the size of the triremes relative to the infantry) and the attack animations (zooming in on phalanx is awesome).

Things to improve: Obviously this is a work in progress and there's still much room to improve. The one thing that irritates me so far is the way the units move; it seems choppy and unnaturally fast, especially the cavalry. The animation during their movement also appears unnatural; they look more like insects scuttling over the map than galloping horses (watch AOE 2 cavalry running for a comparison). I have read the planned change logs and know that trampling will be worked on in the future, but I hope they also improve the unit speed and animations. A central lobby for multiplayer will obviously be a huge addition as well.

The only shame with such a community base is there are relatively few people working on it and I know any changes take time. Anyway, really love the work so far. I know that the next release is supposed to happen too as well as a mod service and look forward to the upgrades and improvements.

We have more crazy things in our mods.

8 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Already in-game, for a few years now. :) 

I guess I should play a multi-player game before commenting next time haha. Having to manually adjust ports threw me off.

8 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

We have more crazy things in our mods.

Can't wait. Sounds like I discovered this game at the right time.

3 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Since I put them in the game myself I would say you WILL see them in the next release. No need for conditional there. :)

Looking forward to it. Wish I had a programming background because I'd love to contribute on a project like this.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Imarok said:

Adjusting ports is not needed anymore (since a22)

Really? Whenever I tried it popped a message about adjusting firewall or doing something with a port (20590? Don't remember the exact number). I turned my firewall off with no success but can take a closer look tonight when I get home.

1 hour ago, l2edVipel2 said:

I guess I should play a multi-player game before commenting next time haha. Having to manually adjust ports threw me off.

Can't wait. Sounds like I discovered this game at the right time.

Looking forward to it. Wish I had a programming background because I'd love to contribute on a project like this.

A few of us didn't have one before starting :) ask @bb_

17 minutes ago, l2edVipel2 said:

1 hour ago, l2edVipel2 said:

Really? Whenever I tried it popped a message about adjusting firewall or doing something with a port (20590? Don't remember the exact number). I turned my firewall off with no success but can take a closer look tonight when I get home.

It only works inside the lobby

Idk, can it be called "gameplay" feature, but I think it's gonna be cool to add some unit info (stats) into the game like it was in wc3 (screen below). This info may not be in in-game hud, may be it can be added in "help"-section. There is not so much websites with info about 0ad and searching in game source code for unit's stats isn't comfortable at all

_t68vm4YWRs.jpg

Edited by Vladooha

28 minutes ago, Vladooha said:

Idk, can it be called "gameplay" feature, but I think it's gonna be cool to add some unit info (stats) into the game like it was in wc3 (screen below). This info may not be in in-game hud, may be it can be added in "help"-section. There is not so much websites with info about 0ad and searching in game source code for unit's stats isn't comfortable at all

_t68vm4YWRs.jpg

Well, you have all this info hovering the unit stats icons. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Vladooha said:

_t68vm4YWRs.jpg

And we have more stats info for A23

image.thumb.png.0dd3e6272cf5c81d50e9077124a4d2ed.png

• Like 1

AI banter: The (enemy) AI sends scripted messages during the game: aggressive/arrogant when attacking, Valiant/confident when defending, begging/pleading when near defeat.

Could be a nice space for some creativity and humor. Could be (partially) civ-specific/historic. Since it's "just" written sentences (taking only few mb's), we could have hundreds of them. Lot's of variety. Everyone in the community could come up with some :) 

Messages along the line of:

• "By Jupiter, I'll have you flayed for this" (after a successful raid on a Roman AI)
  • "Carthago Delenda Est" (anytime a Roman AI attacks a Carthaginian player)
  • "Vae Victis" (after Gaul AI destroys a Roman CC)
  • "I'm sure we can find a way to settle this little squabble somehow" (when AI is near defeat)
  • "By the gods, have you no mercy?" (when killing AI women)
  • "I will erase from memory, your very existence" (when big AI army attacks)
  • "Your walls will not protect you from the might of Ahura Mazda" (when Persian AI sees your walls)
  • "You're town looks like it needs a remake" (when AI attacks)
  • "Zeus will not abandon us" (when attacking a Hellenic AI)
  • "Just because you do not take an interest in politics, does not mean politics won't take an interest in you" (when you refuse an alliance with Athenian AI) 
  • "The only true wisdom, is in knowing you know nothing" (when Athenian AI utterly destroys a player)
  • “Spartan woman are the only ones who give birth to men” (When Sparta AI attacks)
  • “He is richest who is content with the least, for contentment is the wealth of nature.” (random, passive Athenian AI)
  • “I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies, for the hardest victory is over the self.” (Hellenic AI when defeated)
  • "I shall make Egypt taste the taste of my fingers" (when Kushite AI attacks Ptolemies) 
  •  "where they make a wasteland, they call it peace." (When Briton AI is defeated by Romans)

• Like 6