Sign in to follow this  
Tomcelmare

New civilization proposal: Moche or Mochica culture

The Moche culture was an ancient andean civilization, which flourished in northern coast of Peru between 100 AD to 750 AD. It could be interesting to add this civ to the mod, though the timeframe is closer to the second part of the game, than that of "Empires ascendant"...

763-643.jpg.4f8e7880e76e95c39cdf6165255d89ac.jpg

Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moche_culture

Edited by Tomcelmare
  • Like 1

Here are some pictures I took from an exhibition in Paris (Museum of Quai Branly - Jacques Chirac) about the civilizations that came before the incas, and among them the Mochicas. It could be used as references, especially the priestess. 

IMG_8100.JPG

IMG_8110.JPG

IMG_8126.JPG

IMG_8148.JPG

IMG_8118.JPG

IMG_8119.JPG

• Like 3

Yes, it could be quite interesting too, I just wonder how much material  we have at our disposal, for references? Anyway, including some andean civ would be a great addition, and also adding the Mayas for precolombian civs to give a little challenge to zapotecs, who must feel really lonely now :P

As always the more references the more likely they are to be made. :) If we could have data like the Kushites on every civ like this it would be really easy. Concept art would help.

4 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

As always the more references the more likely they are to be made. :) If we could have data like the Kushites on every civ like this it would be really easy. Concept art would help.

That's the problem I found, not enough references... the guys of suggested this must be join to the forums.

9 minutes ago, Tomcelmare said:

I think the mochicas are more documented, and I might be able to find more about them ;)

You know the basic, architecture, warriors , elite, heroes, wonder...

Here are examples of Moche warriors: it seems accurate, considering the current knowledge we have of them:

popUp_M2.jpg

moche-warrior-sculpture.jpg

Moche Warriors with Spear Throwers, AD 450-750

Waterlily Ritual, Moche, AD 450-750

Moche Combat, AD 300-450

j7z5i0.jpg

And here is a warrior priest (Lord of Sipan, named after the place where his rich tomb was found):

southAMocheSipan.jpg

Another illustrations:

Moche Lord and Priestess, AD 450-750

Moche High Priest, AD 700, Peru by coricancha

A depiction of a human sacrifice:

Sacrifice for the Moon God

• Like 2

Some reconstructions:

Huaca Rajada de Sipan:

3.jpg

Huaca Cao Viejo:

93/ PÃRIODE INTER. ANCIENNE / MOCHE. Huaca Cao, site d'El Brujo. Câest une plateforme monumentale orientée vers le nord. Elle présente aussi une place sur la partie avant de la structure, très semblable au site Moche, respecté de site en site. Là aussi on observe des étapes de construction et des décors conservés pour chacune. Lâaccès se fait en revanche sur le côté et la rampe nâest plus droite mais en zigzag.

Huaca de la Luna:

38/ PÃRIODE INTER. ANCIENNE / MOCHE. Huaca de la Luna. La structure est composée de 3 grandes plateformes : une principale (1), supérieure de petites dimensions mais qui correspond à lâespace le plus important du rituel, et une plateforme sur le côté, accolée au Cerro Blanco. Câest un espace important qui mesure 190m sur son côté nord/sud et 210 sur le côté est/ouest.

Moche patterns:

Huaca de la Luna

(Huaca de la Luna)

15729081275_9d97b0da2c_o_-870x489@2x.jpg

Cusco

huaca, Moche, Peru, Peru For Less

(Moche tomb at "El Brujo", Trujillo)

• Like 1

Thank you, Sundiata :). These illustrations come from a book belonging to a serie called "les Voyages d'Alix",written in french unfortunately, more specifically from the volume about the incas, where they also show the previous civilizations.  The drawings of this serie are really good. You should see the reconstructions of Delphi, during the time of classical Greece, or Rome during the first century A.D. The books are available on amazon, but I don't think they're available in english...

22 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Wow, nice...

@Tomcelmare I'd post those imgur images in full, directly to the forum as well... They're pretty cool! 

Yeah it will be better links from image sharing pages aren't trust worthy anymore, they always end deleting them whitout considering what forum could break.

Don't worry, Alexandermb, these are my pictures, I can reupload them if needed ;). Now, i've posted them in full so everybody can easily have a look :)

• Thanks 1