===[TASK]=== Wounded or Tired Animations

Alexandermb

There is a lot of factors that could be added for make this works for example: if units is slowed down by injuries then javelins cavalry and archers will be stronger from afar right? Deadly as they should be, alright then as i proposed before the different walking type animation when the unit is "combat_approaching" is crucial to make a shielded unit type change from relax mary poppyins walking animation to something similar to this:

Spoiler

21be965f30bb5df9334db7a31a5f5803.jpg

a front shield walking/jog/running animation covering from the fire of the arrows and add a bonus to shield bearer units against arrows but if the unit isn't using a shield wich they are quite low in 0AD they wouldn't have bonus defense. I could do the animations whitout problems. Cavalry should always be dangerous for an injured batallion no mather wich animation they use or how slow are them, same as arrows. 

players will think it twice forcing a fight if they have planned retreat when their units reach dangerous hp level, defending players will be more stronger of course but that will force the attacking player to use more siege weapons.

Variety, mechanics, strong strategy choices, realism, i don't see where it could fail after all big games like AoE DE have clipping and weird animations in some things and people don't criticize it, total war have the strong staring love story between units in a battle when they remain like 10 seconds looking each other before attempt a hit, AoE 2 switch weapons from left to right depending of the walking direction, Dawn of War have the moral System and is very good, battle realms have the injure animations as @wackyserious mentioned and i remember when i used to play it long time ago and never payed to much attention to the little details. Nowadays if the game is low poly like 0 AD but good looking it matters more the mechanics, complexity and performance than the animations changes but it always attract more people the new features no matter how small they are.

Btw if this kind of units or structures are planned a simple arrow damage type protection small aura could make it work too.

Mantelet.defensif.3.pngimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_d51ho9ea4lTW38dJG5rM_rCQbapr-Kys0aW2fNZ4TqXXKqml

Edited by Alexandermb
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Variety, mechanics, strong strategy choices, realism, i don't see where it could fail after all big games like AoE DE have clipping and weird animations in some things and people don't criticize it, total war have the strong staring love story between units in a battle when they remain like 10 seconds looking each other before attempt a hit, AoE 2 switch weapons from left to right depending of the walking direction, Dawn of War have the moral System and is very good, battle realms have the injure animations as @wackyserious and i remember when i used to play it long time ago and never payed to much attention to the little details. Nowadays if the game is low poly like 0 AD but good looking it matters more the mechanics, complexity and performance than the animations changes but it always attract more people the new features no matter how small they are.

Good point total war have some animation of exhaustion (mental-body) 

Mira cuando Antonio cae sobre sus propias piernas, eso se siente.

3 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

i could add an arrow struck in the body by using the same hands prop points like this, but it could look weird a battle swordsman against swordsman and suddendly a guy have an arrow in his stomach and says: “I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.”,  But if the death by unit type come some day it could fit.

image.png.b93c7cde8e09a46293f25c27bf2da29b.png

Another good point of having several walking types, other walk animations i have in mind is crouched slow walking when hunting wild fauna animals (Gazelle, deer), wolfs, lions and other wild dangerous animals should have another behavior variant for walking types, a wolf should run fast when attacking units, lions should run for attack units, crocodiles won't gonna run, if we have leopard or hiena they could be even more faster and more dangerous, none of them should just walk for attack an unit and always should chase the infantry if someone approach their territory.

• Like 2

Another good point of having several walking types, other walk animations i have in mind is crouched slow walking when hunting wild fauna animals (Gazelle, deer), wolfs, lions and other wild dangerous animals should have another behavior variant for walking types, a wolf should run fast when attacking units, lions should run for attack units, crocodiles won't gonna run, if we have leopard or hiena they could be even more faster and more dangerous, none of them should just walk for attack an unit and always should chase the infantry if someone approach their territory.

@Alexandermb I see that  you made some nice looking animations that for now i do not think that they can be used since A23 is possibly around the corner, however with your last paragraph about the animals I agree, however, i think that right now would be nice if you could make animations for the bear that is in the game.

1 minute ago, asterix said:

@Alexandermb I see that  you made some nice looking animations that for now i do not think that they can be used since A23 is possibly around the corner, however with your last paragraph about the animals I agree, however, i think that right now would be nice if you could make animations for the bear that is in the game.

i was working on it, maybe is time to resume it i left for learn more how armature works on four legged animals like in the horse last patch i uploaded, but now i think i could do it. Walking running and idle even feeding was already done, but i had strong problems with the attack animations.

48 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Check moden military trainqning 

thats something like the right animation in the first post, but the cardio for basic tired unit works, but for armed unit won't work too much, they rest their arms too much by laying in the thighs, for the infantry is needed something carrying staffs or a shield.

ok so i've finally made it to switch the animation from relax to ready when approaching an unit to fight by just adding this in the actor file and those two in the UnitAI. can i go wild with the ready walking animations :)?

Btw maybe it could be deffined too on garrison type variants by get entity class (elephant, turret, wall, ship, building, chariot, horse) and make a ground unit have several animations variants for garrisoned.

Spoiler

image.png.a05758fcfc3c6f9bf45d6034b7fee7c7.pngimage.png.1c37d87fcdf162db7107ba70abba3b27.png

if someone want to checks in what i mean use this file and put 2 spart_infantry_spearman close enough to walk and fight, and place another guy far for move it freely.

Spart_hoplites_attack_Animations.7z

• Like 1