Age of empires mod for 0 ad ?

ionut311991

Hello i have a few question;s about 0 ad :

is it possible to make forest like in aoe

do walls attach to clifs, water and is it posible to matke them attach to forest..... and how hard is to mod this

can i remove the batch training ( so u can crate one villager at a time)

how hard is to mod so that only villagers gather and build

can u make a unit upgrade, the same way milita upgrades to man at arm in aoe

Thank you, u have a amazing community, this is my first post on u forum 

A very similiar mod to what you described is already available.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/0-ad-delenda-est

Maybe there are some other similiar mods too, but delenda is the only one I’m aware of.

You can take a look at the mods subforum. And if you are interested in modding yourself, take a look at;

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Modding_Guide

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Mod_Layout

Edited by Guest

Hi and welcome @ionut311991

I've tried doing something similar in the past and might attept to finish it at some point. Some of what you suggest is relatively easy to do (it mostly needs learning how to properly edit some game files) while other parts are not currently possible as far as I know. On specifics:

14 minutes ago, ionut311991 said:

is it possible to make forest like in aoe

I guess you mean impassable forests. No, unless you place it by hand in the editor. In random maps it won't work (yet?).

16 minutes ago, ionut311991 said:

do walls attach to clifs, water and is it posible to matke them attach to forest..... and how hard is to mod this

Can't remember very well on this one.

16 minutes ago, ionut311991 said:

can i remove the batch training ( so u can crate one villager at a time)

Should be possible and not hard but I haven't tried.

17 minutes ago, ionut311991 said:

how hard is to mod so that only villagers gather and build

It's possible and quite easy (just many files to edit). There's one issue though, you wouldn't want to have male and female versions of the same unit like aoe villagers, unless you don't mind them sharing the same voice set or having them voiceless.

19 minutes ago, ionut311991 said:

can u make a unit upgrade, the same way milita upgrades to man at arm in aoe

Possible and easy (again, more tedius than complex).

5 minutes ago, Imarok said:

Should be doable, by giving trees a big obstruction,so that they overlap.

Still it might be hard to find a right balance between the functionality and visuals on this. I think the way trees are placed randomly doesn't make them have equal spaces so there could still be gaps even with a larger obstruction size. And having too big of an obstruction would make workers appear totally like chopping "in the air".

Edited by Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, LordGood said:

way to fix that is with wow's grove suggestion

Could fix some of the issues but won't work with exactly the desired mechanics. Also, as far as I know/remember random map generation still can't place something like the groves in a way to always make forests (of more than one grove) without pathing gaps.

4 hours ago, Prodigal Son said:

Could fix some of the issues but won't work with exactly the desired mechanics. Also, as far as I know/remember random map generation still can't place something like the groves in a way to always make forests (of more than one grove) without pathing gaps.

Pathing obstructions for static objects are [currently] rectangular in shape. The groves have a square obstruction, so I don't think it's that hard for a script to do. All it would take is some small overlap. 

Spoiler

[just as an aside, DE goes the exact opposite direction by making all trees passable; just throwing that out there; I hope one day someone codes a flag that can be used in templates so I can make individual trees destructible by building foundations, while keeping groves non-destructible]

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Pathing obstructions for static objects are [currently] rectangular in shape. The groves have a square obstruction, so I don't think it's that hard for a script to do. All it would take is some small overlap. 

Reveal hidden contents

[just as an aside, DE goes the exact opposite direction by making all trees passable; just throwing that out there; I hope one day someone codes a flag that can be used in templates so I can make individual trees destructible by building foundations, while keeping groves non-destructible]

I don't know if it's hard to implement, but I mean that such a function doesn't exist yet. Random Map Gen doesn't handle distances/adjacencies precisely, with gaps and overlaps appearing in uncontrollable fashion.

Imarok if the tree obstruction size is increases, then you have people chopping thin air.

Same issue exists when there is clearly space between trees to walk through them but an invisible wall is blocking you.

Can create impassable forests only by making them so dense that there is no space between the trees / bushes (asking for lag).