How to get SVN version?

Servo

Downloaded Tortoise SVN and re installed A22. I’m sure I also did the check out(took quite a few minutes but completed). I’m not sure why to do next to run the game but tried to run the game using Tortoise svn and was prompted “the game already exist, would you like to replace it?” Is this the correct process? I’m worried my reinstalled game might not work again so I canceled.

@stanislas69 you told me to right click on the 0ad to update but there’s no such option. I can see only run on tortoise and others but no update. 

Im using windows 10 btw on this. 

Edited by Servo

Okay, I think I might have confused you somehow.

A22 and tortoise SVN have nothing to do with each other.
A22 is a release, a packaged version of SVN at a point in time.

After installing tortoise svn you need to follow the instructions there: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions

The game's code, data and build environment are stored on a Subversion server. The recommended way to get an up-to-date copy is with TortoiseSVN:

• Download and install TortoiseSVN. (Make sure you reboot when it asks you to.)
  • Use TortoiseSVN to check out https://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk/. This may take a while, and will use around 5GB of disk space. If there are errors during the checkout, use TortoiseSVN's "update" to resume downloading.

The TortoiseSVN manual has information on checking out, as well as updating and creating patches.

To do step 2 just right click in the folder where you want svn to be installed, and click checkout .

I checked out, updated then when I got to click on pyrogenesis.exe I got errors advising to reinstall the program. 

Pls bear with me with taking the pix. I can delete or someone can delete these once seen and assessed. 

Humnn kind of there’s no library...

Edited by Servo

2 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Looks like the SVN did not finish downloading. What happens if your right click on the first folder that was created and click SVN up ? 

Just to make things a bit clearer, on Windows using TortoiseSVN it says "SVN Update", and in my experience you might have to left-click on the folder name to get the proper right-click menu (sometimes it seems like you get the right-click menu for the folder you're in rather than the one you've clicked on, but maybe that's just me :P thought it was worth mentioning anyway though).

Thanks everyone I will try each and every opinion. 

Some confusing things:

1. If I remember correctly when I tried removing everything until I can’t locate or find any files to delete and then reinstall it says the tortoise svn can’t open because the program exists already. Tbh idk where it was hiding that I couldn’t find to delete that previous file. I think I also look at add/remove program. 

2. When I try to update the options are only 3. Repair, modify and uninstall. I did the first two only though idk if there’s something to repair or modify. 

5 minutes ago, Servo said:

the tortoise svn can’t open because the program exists already.

Hmm, that sounds weird. Usually when you get a notice that something can't be opened/run it's because it's already running when you are trying to run the application, not when you are trying to install it, but that might just be that you don't recall exactly what words were used, so I'm not sure how useful that thought is :P It should definitely be possible to install it even if it's already installed though, but it might still give a warning.

It should look something like this:

svn_update.png

(ps is the folder where I've checked out the 0 A.D. SVN repository)

• Like 1

Humnn, I had that format when I tried to open it. Previously I was warned that I’m checking it out on a folder or something with contents which I can’t recall where.  Probably the reason why I can’t find it and wondering why I can see it only on downloads and not in any other places. I’m going to redo it on empty one then.

Hmm, what do you mean by open, and what exactly is it you are trying to open?

The safest way to checkout is probably to let TortoiseSVN create a new folder, and to be sure there doesn't exist a folder with that name in that place already.

Actually, looking back at your screenshots it looks as if you are trying to run the game via the TortoiseSVN Repobrowser (which doesn't look at the files on your computer, but at the files on the server). Please try running the game by going to the binaries\system folder using the normal Windows Explorer file browser instead :)

The same error occurred. 

1. Reinstall newest Tortoise SVN

2. From tortoise repo browser went to pyrogenesis.exe and checked out to new folder(desktop)

3. New folder update to 21443 something. Then run the game. Same error. 

How to reinstall the program means deleting everything again then reinstall beginning from Tortoise svn?

picture shows that I had the game file with a green check on it among my desktop icons pyrogenesis  

Btw I was able to watch a game lately using windows. After I exited the game I can’t go back to lobby. Case forbidden system  

C245E52D-7953-4B31-BB33-06C659D79504.jpeg

Edited by Servo

No, don't use the repobrowser. Use the normal browser, and checkout the entire 0 A.D. SVN. If you want it in more detail see https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/TortoiseSVN_Guide, but in short Checkout http://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk to a new folder of your choosing (either accept the name that is chosen automatically or change it in the checkout dialog).

I guess I checked out now around 1700 MB transferred. Updated 21455. Next? These I did when right clicking on desktop and saw the svn checkout. Tried to click on pyrogenesis 0ad icon thinking the game can launch, same error. I’m doing some trial and error and now checking out on download. If this doesn’t work I will try checking out on documents too and see what happens. I’m not sure what to do next though:mellow:  

DF8455D4-DE79-411F-8218-2E2B7812718F.jpeg

Edited by Servo

25 minutes ago, Loki1950 said:

There should be a tutorial on using the snipping tool on one of M$'s help sites I remember seeing it when I fist installed Win 7 you might try googling to find it or the snipping tool help files themselves ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots