On 3/1/2018 at 8:35 PM, Prodigal Son said:

They've been selling this mediocre (and that after many improvements) warscape engine for over 10 years and about the same number of games. At least this time it's free(mium) :P

My ultimate ancient combat game would have the player in control of one single battalion within a larger army. This battalion itself becomes your character, which you level up, train, recruit, drill, outfit with kit, raise up soldiers within the ranks, and ultimately with which you coordinate with other players to destroy enemy armies. 

26 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

My ultimate ancient combat game would have the player in control of one single battalion within a larger army. This battalion itself becomes your character, which you level up, train, recruit, drill, outfit with kit, raise up soldiers within the ranks, and ultimately with which you coordinate with other players to destroy enemy armies. 

That would be interesting indeed. TW arena approach isn't bad either, I'm just not too happy with modern total war games.

• Like 1

Yeah one of my favorites as well, it kept the core feeling of the game visuals  which I liked, while adding more historicity and nice features. EB was great as well with it's extreme detail, but ctd-ed much and at times it's city building was too tedious to manage. RS II looked great but I disliked much of it's gameplay choices. I've probably played like 20+ RTW mods overall. EB II for MTW II is shaping up pretty nicely.

Favourite TW game being RTW overall, I'd love the return of the simple STW/MTW campaign system. It prevented all those pointless time consuming 2v15 unit battles you were forced to play (or autoresolve for high casualties) in later games of the series.

• 8 months later...

Total War: Arena shuts down in February 2019.

The free-to-play take on Creative Assembly's Total War series, which was published with World of Tanks maker Wargaming, closed because its open beta test "did not meet all our expectations", Creative Assembly's Joshua Williams said in a post on the Total War website.

"Unfortunately, during the open beta, the game didn't meet the expectations either Wargaming or Creative Assembly had for the title, and it was decided to bring development to an end," reads the statement.

Creative Assembly didn't state it outright, but it sounds like the game failed to attract enough players to justify launching it proper.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-22-total-war-arena-shuts-down-february-2019