Which civilization has the best ranged units and why

MlemandPurrs

Athenians have champion infantry archers so perhaps you would like to play Athenians.  Or you could go with Seleucids for the horse archers.

Infantry archers don't do that well against massed enemy cavalry, though.  They will also lose ground against spearmen/skirmishers unless the army sizes are very large.  Archers do best when you can keep attacking at long range and retreating behind your defenses when the enemy starts to chase.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MlemandPurrs said:

I have noticed battles are determined by how many archers you have got, so im set on playing the best archer civ and dont know which one is. Also need to know which civ has the best siege options at range.

Actually battles are determined by how many skirmishers you have got.

Any archer has same stats for any civ. Mauryan and persian have archery tradition which increases their attack range at cost of their health which isn't really a good choice unless you have a solid shield of melee units. On the other hand, other civs have mercenary archers  who train at rank 2.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2018 at 2:10 PM, MlemandPurrs said:

Hmm, in that case who has the best skirmishers ?

actually persian and seleucids have nice techs and auras available for their skirmish cavalry.

Ptolemies have nice skirmishers because they train at rank 2 with mercenary advanced rank tech ( same for athene and carthage ) and less cost for all merceanries with the hero.

ptolemies, seleucids and macedonians have mercenary skirmish cavalry too.

Persia, sparta and athene have champion infantry skirmishers, britons have champion cavalry skirmishers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For a CS I like the Mauryans overall. They cost food and wood only. Though their HP is reduced when upgraded in the barracks but their attack and range are enhanced, nice for no cavalry games. The best feature that I like with them is their appearance! For now Kushite is my second choice especially if they have barracks upgrade too (is there?). Their icons I think are complete up to elite units and they really look good too!

My taste may not be good about arts but Persian archers and also other cavalry archers doesn’t look good especially on the elite appearance. Their heads or helmets are too big that when I use a cavalry unit I try to keep them at 2nd rank. 

The Greek archers with hats rather than helmets but their icons are nice.