Voice-over artist

8 minutes ago, Abdurrahman Al Sayad said:

Hello, my name is Abdurrahman I'm a voice-over artist on a Youtube channel named Viola TV. I was wondering if you needed some recordings and voice acting in the game. I would love to help as I'm a big fan of RTS games.

in ancient languages  but we can help you with the  pronunciation

-welcome

3 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

you know about the closets language for Kush?

Yeah, Napatan, was basically a dialect of late Ancient Egyptian language, was in use throughout 0AD timeframe, especially during the Napatan Period. Meroitic replaced Napatan as the dominant language around 300BC-ish. Meroitic is not understood, but has some resemblance to proto-Nubian (Nilo-Saharan) and Beja (Afro-Asiatic). Modern Nubian seems appropriate enough. I'll still try to do some recordings myself soon, but I don't know if it will be up to standard. We'll see

• Like 2

On 23/02/2018 at 6:57 PM, SGK7019 said:

Hey, I just want to say that if you'll be doing anything for Ancient Greek, I'm native Greek and can help give the correct terms and pronunciation if needed :)

Your input would be needed here then (sorry it's a bit of an old topic!):

In short I would like to use modern pronunciation for Hellenistic factions including Ptolemies, and the commonly accepted pronunciation of Ancient Greek for Athenians and Spartans.

• Like 2

Remember that modern Hebrew is not the same as ancient Hebrew, and ancient Hebrew is not the same as Phoenician, and Phoenician is not the same as Punic. I think modern Hebrew for Carthage is a recipe for controversy. Phoenician mixed in with proto-Berber is the most appropriate approximation for Punic, I believe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sundiata said:

Remember that modern Hebrew is not the same as ancient Hebrew, and ancient Hebrew is not the same as Phoenician, and Phoenician is not the same as Punic. I think modern Hebrew for Carthage is a recipe for controversy. Phoenician mixed in with proto-Berber is the most appropriate approximation for Punic, I believe. 

Modern Hebrew is basically a revived dead language, based upon ancient Hebrew, although there are some differences, of course. Furthermore, Carthaginian, Phoenician, Aramaic, and Hebrew were different yet also mutually intelligible (cf. Danish, Swedish, Nynorsk, Bokmal). And yes, a combination of Phoenician and Proto-Berber would be better, however, very little Phoenician has survived, and Proto-Berber can only be reconstructed. Therefore Carthaginians speaking Hebrew, although historically incorrect, could be sensible nonetheless.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Nescio said:

although there are some differences, of course

That's what I'm worried about. There are some modernisms in regard to pronunciations and expressions in modern Hebrew derived from the modern Yiddish and Sephardic speakers that reconstructed the language. It's exactly in their pronunciation that they differ. And Berber words enter at unexpected places.. It's just things like the following quote that make me apprehensive about having modern Hebrew sounding carthaginians in what are today Arab and Berber countries:

"Add to that the fact that Phoenician does display some rather surprising discrepancies with Hebrew when it comes to some of the most basic verbs, such as “to be” and “to do”, which are, at least in writing, identical to their equivalents in Arabic and Aramaic respectively rather than Hebrew, the closest relative, and it turns out the answer to the question whether Hannibal could have a talk with the priests of the Second Temple becomes less and less clear."

Mixing archaic Hebrew with Berber would work though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Mixing archaic Hebrew with Berber would work though.

Actually I would prefer Aramaic. However, this debate is rather theoretical, I believe. What we need is someone to provide some appropiate phrases with a proper pronunciation. My knowledge of Afro-Asiatic vocalubary is practically zero, so about anything would be acceptable to me.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nescio said:

What we need is someone to provide some appropiate phrases with a proper pronunciation.

That...

49 minutes ago, Nescio said:

My knowledge of Afro-Asiatic vocalubary is practically zero, so about anything would be acceptable to me.

Hahaha, yeah, my Afro-Asiatic is also quite rusty, huhum, huhum... Aramaic/Hebrew mixed with Proto-Berber then? Any Aramaic/Hebrew and Proto-Berber speakers in the forum? Anyone?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sundiata said:

I know, but the team is using some Hebrew to Carthaginian.