Unreadable text, buttons too small to be clickable, HiDPI, yada yada

karora

When I start 0AD the screen is all but unreadable.

My eyesight ain't what it used to be, though my 3840x2160 screen works great when stuff is scalable, but when everything is dimensioned by the pixel I'm screwed.

I managed to find a settings button, but I couldn't find any settings that would let me change the resolution, or - better yet - set some arbitrary scaling factor for UI elements.

I assume this means it would be unplayable, but to be honest even the tracking down the settings screen was hard enough that I gave up at that point :-(

55 minutes ago, karora said:

When I start 0AD the screen is all but unreadable.

My eyesight ain't what it used to be, though my 3840x2160 screen works great when stuff is scalable, but when everything is dimensioned by the pixel I'm screwed.

I managed to find a settings button, but I couldn't find any settings that would let me change the resolution, or - better yet - set some arbitrary scaling factor for UI elements.

I assume this means it would be unplayable, but to be honest even the tracking down the settings screen was hard enough that I gave up at that point :-(

In your config folder find the user.cfg or local.cfg file and add the following line

gui.scale="2.0"

That option should be added at some point until we properly fix high resolutions like yours

To find the config file look at https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths

• Like 2

Brilliant - thanks.  With such a comprehensive GUI I was seduced into not looking for a config file :-)

A scale factor of 2.3 makes everything much more readable.

Also, I tried the tutorial, but it got stuck at some point seemingly waiting for some houses to finish building, but they were already complete - probably because I was slow reading the text and they'd finished before I started building the farmstead.  Is there any way to manually advance it in such cases?

11 minutes ago, karora said:

Brilliant - thanks.  With such a comprehensive GUI I was seduced into not looking for a config file :-)

A scale factor of 2.3 makes everything much more readable.

Also, I tried the tutorial, but it got stuck at some point seemingly waiting for some houses to finish building, but they were already complete - probably because I was slow reading the text and they'd finished before I started building the farmstead.  Is there any way to manually advance it in such cases?

Yes apologies about that, the tutorial is broken in that alpha. You need to add some more houses :)

• Like 1