0AD multiplayer

ralfixraflus

Hello 

I have just installed 0AD on linux

I love this game

I learned how to play in "single mode" against the computer

Now would like to play against real human players so I tried the "multiplayer lobby"

However the multiplayer lobby is always empty: there is only me and 3 robots...

Is this normal ? or is it my configuration ?

Thank you ! 

HI thanks for your replies

I have already followed the instructions on this page

I have added Jessie Backports then updated my apt but I seems like the version alpha 22 is not available on  the backports ! ?

Can someone confirm alpha 22 is available on Debian ? Has someone succeeded with installing it on Debian Stretch ?

I don't think it is available on Debian Stretch, unfortunately (this is one of the down sides of running Debian stable, and similar distros: very stable, but you'll find it difficult to get the most recent packages). What you could try (if you don't mind the potential loss of "stability" that comes with it) is updating to Debian testing. Another option (but I haven't used Debian in a long time, so am not sure) is trying to use the Ubuntu PPA on Debian, but I would expect this to be a lot more difficult / not work at all (I don't know how this would work with dependencies).

9 minutes ago, ralfixraflus said:

it's strange because debian stretch is debian 9 and debian jessie is debian 8 so with debian stretch i should have the most recent software

Often new packages will first go through Debian Unstable and Debian Testing before they make it to Debian Stable. This means that the packages in Debian Stable will often be a bit older. I think many people using Debian as their daily OS therefore run Testing (and some even Unstable). The stability of Debian Stable is very useful on servers, where you don't want to have things break (even minor things). On Testing / Unstable you'll occasionally have things break, but mostly minor things. That said, if you don't want that and want your system to be as stable as possible (trading having the most recent packages for stability + being better tested) run Stable.

Edited by echotangoecho

If you download and compile from svn, you want svn revision 19921 for a22.  The command to get the code would be:

svn co https://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk/ -r 19921 0ad

(So, follow the instructions at https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions#Linux but replace the svn co command given there, with the one above).

Edited by causative