Battle of the Game Engines

Palaiogos

So in the battle royale of general RTS enginee I have selected three to compare. I am comparing Spring Engine, Pyrogenesis, and SAGE. Spring Engine has the games Speing 1944, and Imperial Winter, Pyrogenesis has 0 AD, and SAGE has the C&C series.

This will not be a game discussion, this is a discussion of the technical aspects: which is more optimized, which has the ability to use guns, which has the ability to do meleé better, and so on.

13 minutes ago, Palaiogos said:

I mean, I really would love to see which is the best open source RTS engine, which is kind of why I made this thread.

@Palaiogos while I'm pretty sure the answer will be it depends I'm interested in what would will come up with as criterion to choose. So bring up the facts :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sphyrth said:

There's an old SpringRTS thread that has one of the commenters saying,

That comment referred to pyrogenesis around 2010. I don't know what they think of it now.

(Little Off-Topic) Hmm, then a 2WW mod could be easily done converting the models? If I understand correctly, he made a script for converting the models, but not the animations.

Ok, so here is a list of things that can and can't be done in Pyrogenesis. Feel free to add to it. 

What can be done:

1. Platoons

2. Melee combat

3. More than one type of building supply (like stone, iron...)

4. Capturing besides points, like buildings

5. Really good animations

Spring Engine:

1. Large amounts of troops without lag, so better optimization

2. Supply drops

3. GUNS!

I think that Pyrogenesis can't do "platoons" or "banner armies" (fixed batch training with a concrete mix of units). It would be cool to support it (the ability to train fixed numbers of units, and a mix of them)

Having or not having guns is not a "engine feature", just an art thing. Guns could be added, the only support that would be needed should be adding "muzzle flashes", as Stanislas said, and maybe smoke trails: a particle emitter when a unit is attacking, and a straight one tied to the projectile (the second one I think that could be done now) 

The game have a lot of features.... you just need to understand them well. Wall converting to a door individually is not a feature, it is the possibility to a entity to upgrade to another. With this upgrade component,  units can be changed to a another one (spearman to a hero, packed building in a wagon to a proper building, but also archer going to a melee archer mode)

I think that the gameplay features that the engine are capable are scattered all around the wiki, and not every one is listed. Also keep in mind that the game is being developed, so a lot of info could be outdated. Just play the game and try to understand what the game can do, and how it could be changed, like the upgrade component.

Edited by av93
  • Like 3